PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Alistair Hosie
09-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi I bought a machine which I hope is a tool cutter grinder.It is on a triple one unit cabinet arrangement it is very heavy so when it was delivered "the guys" including my neighbour, delivery driver, (who is a good friend),and my youngest son got it up my steep drive and outside my machinist shop.I have slowly taken it to bits ( bite size chunks) and worked on them in my shop (cleaned them etc).It transpires that the cabinets which make the base are pretty well damaged whether from transport of before I bought it on ebay (I suspect the latter), anyway the cabinet part of the base I want to get rid of but the top of the cabinets where the machine fits has a solid steel base around a half an inch thick.This will make an excellent base for me to refit the machine to.I certainly want to keep this as it is in good condition. From inside the cabinet it is obvious that this top is held on to the base cabinets by a series of welds around where the top joins the base these are about two inches long and in all there is about eight evenly spaced.I was told it is easiest to seperate this from the base with a hammer and chisel or bolster ( a wide chisel,or brick chisel).I dont have burning gear and don't have access to it either so that is out.
Bearing in mind that I suffer from parkinsons disease can anyone suggest an easier way perhaps grinding the welds from within .Needlesss to say two of my son's who will be at home this weekend will be helping me .Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.excuse typing Alistair

Evan
09-01-2005, 04:12 PM
A cheap angle grinder and some zip cut disks will work fine if there is room. Zip cut disks are thin flat abrasive wheels and can be had as thin as a few millimeters. They are inexpensive and make short work of cutting welds.

aboard_epsilon
09-01-2005, 04:12 PM
now that's one of the few occations a plasma cutter would come in handy Alistair.

you know anyone that can lend you one.
all the best..mark

Norman Atkinson
09-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi, me old Haggis!

Evan's suggestion to cut the welds is sound.
You could, however, use an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk to slice the top off from the outside- rather than getting your arse in the breeze- and going dizzy.

You are talking about a fairly thin metal cupboard. Once the top is cut, you can do a cleaning up of the troublesome welds.

I cut inch and a half cast iron from a redundant surface plate, so it works- slowly.

Mind how you go- watch the sparks.

Norm.

charlie coghill
09-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Watch those sip cut blades. They will cut through gloves and your shirt, two different instances. Ask me how I know. The time that it went through the shirt, it did not cut the material but took 6 stiches to close the hole in my arm.

John Stevenson
09-01-2005, 09:22 PM
clumsey bugger

gizmo2
09-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Yup, wear your bullet proof kilt and donna bend over too far and you should be ok. Advise not needed but cheerfully given.

CCWKen
09-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Dang, that's too dangerous. I'd get out the air saw or saws-all.

Flatline's Up!
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM
If you don't care about the base at all other than the top, I'd just use a Sawzall type saw if you have one and cut the entire top off about an inch or so down from the top. Then have your boys (or hand truck) it to a comfortable work bench in the shop.
Use an angle grinder or whatever you have at your convienence where you are comfortable and can take all the time in the world.

Good luck and let us know how it goes man,
Britt

Your Old Dog
09-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Alistar, I'm not sure what the proper name for them is but I have right angle air powered grinder that uses metal cutting blades about 3 inches in diameter and 1/16" inch thick. Automobile muffler shops around here use them all the time. I would ask your son's to take turns slicing thru them if I were you. These little wheels will cut glass so the welds should pose no problem. The boys will likely be thirsty when finished so it would hurt to have a little ale on tap! I also have an air chisel but it wouldn't do near the job the grinder would. It is noisier and makes it harder to hold the beer when you're done http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alistair Hosie
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys so far I am always humbled by the kindness and help shown to me over many years by you guys God Bless Alistair

billyboy
09-02-2005, 06:05 PM
alistair, i beleave you live in scotland? you can get some really thin cutting discs from an engineering and welding supplies, they come in a tin of 6 discs 115mm x 1mm thick,(4 1/2" angle grinder) for approx £8.00 but go carefull with them trying not to put any side pressure on the disc as they are pretty fragile , these are superb for grinding neatly through welds, good luck,
bill

Evan
09-02-2005, 06:10 PM
The zip cut disks I get here are fabric reenforced. They aren't fragile at all. You can use the side or the edge.

Your Old Dog
09-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Evan, upon closer examination of the disk I use I see I have the same as you. Mine have a Kilt type fabric multicolored weave to them http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alistair, tell me it isn't true! While wanting to spoof you with your Tartan colors merged with a cutting wheel I ran across this story. You appear in the 4th paragraph! Are you a Tea toteler? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/stirlingshire/chap30.htm

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-02-2005).]