PDA

View Full Version : Gas lines in Georgia, some stations are out of gas...

hoffman
08-31-2005, 09:41 PM
About 3:00 this afternoon my wife calls me at work and tells me that there is a run on the gas stations in Macon and Warner Robins. I work about 60 miles west of Macon, almost in Alabama. Needless to say I'm a little shook up about it.

About 4:00 one of my co-workers daughters calls her from Phoenix City Alabama and tells her that there are lines at the stations in Columbus Ga (Right across the river from Phoenix City) and that some stations are limiting folks to 20 Gals.

After work I waited in line for about an hour and paid $3.19/gal for hi-test because it was all they had left. They said they weren't getting another delivery until the middle of next week.

During my commute home there were lines at almost every station and 2 stations in the little town I work in were out of gas :O

Supreme is going for $6/gal in Atlanta.

I'm sort of spooked...

------------------
Deep Sea Tool Salvage

JRouche
08-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Perfect time to do a quick propane/nat gas conversion to your "spare" vehicle. Should be a weekend job. JRouche

CCWKen
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
People around here (South Texas) have been topping their tanks about every other day. Even it's only five gallons or less. Everybody is scared their won't be ANY gas real soon. It's putting a real strain on supply and that's driving up prices. I've got every car, truck, machine, tank and can on the farm full of gas or diesel. I'm not trying to hoard, I'm tring to stay alive.

Being it's comming up on a holiday weekend doesn't help either. I hope everybody stays home.

hoffman
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Do you think it could get that serious? It's hard to imagine a whole area being out of fuel...

CCWKen
08-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Well... you've got over a million people displaced from Katrina. They drove in all directions. They have to get gas somewhere.

G.A. Ewen
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Gas lines here as well. $1.28 per liter today. Predictions are that there will be a large hike again tomorrow.

ibewgypsie
08-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah, sitting on a few thousand gallons waiting on the price to go up.

The woman in the motel charging 5x rates should be horsewhipped.

I'd say most the displaced people are living off thier credit cards. Imagine, no home no job and getting deeper and deeper in debt.

I got a propane setup on a one ton sitting here in my driveway. Two tanks. I have heard you can put a hi volume regulator on about any late model fuel injected car and just hook it right to the injection rail no more parts. The injection rail on most cars runs a fixed pressure with a bypass that sends over-amount back to the tank in another line. SO, turn the fuel off and hook up a regulator to the line insert proper tank and away you go.

David

tattoomike68
08-31-2005, 11:26 PM
About time for folks to dig around and resurrect old mo-peds and scooters.

my friend showed me an old mo-ped he riding to work, he has a gatoraid jug strapped to the back as an extra fuel tank. he figures he gets 80+ mpg.It was a $100 yard sale item.

I want one.

vinito
09-01-2005, 08:25 PM
"The woman in the motel charging 5x rates should be horsewhipped."

That would only be one in an extremely long list of targets for me.
This situation has made me furious. Normally I'm extremely laid back, but I haven't been able to get over it.

Within hours, like later in the day Tuesday, there should have been a hundred helecopters and many hundreds of boats, hummers, busses, and truckloads of supplies on their way into the whole area to provide rescue, shelter & relief. I guess Bush has decided to wrench himself away from his vacation and make his way there this weekend for a photo op. He must have had to wait for the sound byte club to put some good ones together.

I don't think there is a single business in the nation who doesn't plan to triple their profits in the next coming months. Their costs won't change much, except for the ones that other businesses increased already (fuel). Blaming it on "supply & demand" doesn't change the true fact that it's simply opportunism.

My insurance will at least double this year so their profits will remain constant.

In my area our natural gas comes from wells just north of here, but we have been warned that winter heating costs will be about double this year. THEY ARE BLAMING IT ON KATRINA!!! It is NOT Katrina, it is kicking people when they are already down so you can make more billions.

And that is just us, way up here a few hundred miles away from the disaster. We all needed a break before this happened, but instead we are being raped. Now the folks uprooted by the storm need a break many times more than I ever did, and I'm sure they will be raped far worse.

The hoodlums looting whatever they can carry and shooting cops might easy to put on the news, but they are only a drop of water in ocean compared to the corporate looters nationwide and the numbers of folks who our country let die because nobody was sent to help them.
I wouldn't flinch if all these looters were lined up and shot - they are a waste of space anyway. My only rule is it shouldn't be done unless they are gathered up indiscriminantly, from the bottom rung to the top. Just in case there aren't enough bullets, I'd start with the ones at the top since the ones at the bottom are more likely to learn something.

By the way, these looters are just local hoods who don't desire to topple the "Western Devil". I'm sure there is a plan in the works by the other group of idiots to make it worse. I haven't heard a word of caution about poisoned water & food. Why? Terrorists are idiot opportunists too. It's a shame they blend in so well with so many local citizens right now.

This feels like just the beginning of big problems. There's a possibility I'm just particularly paranoid today, but normally I'm unusually good at seeing the writing on the wall. I hope I'm just paranoid.

Man, I could go on for pages. I'm sorry, I'm pissed. This will probably be my last post for a few days - machining just doesn't contain the usual joy, and ranting here is making it worse.

See ya after I calm down.

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 09-01-2005).]

Rustybolt
09-01-2005, 08:43 PM
No problem here in N. Illinois. I can get all I want at three bucks a gallon for reg.
I plan on riding my bike more and mayber look into that propane conversion for the truck.

Your Old Dog
09-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I hope we get some answers on the fuel. Bugs me that prices are so high and availabity in this part of the country is great. You can buy all you want at $4.00 a gallon. I could understand the high prices if I saw some "out of gas" signs on gas stations.

Keep in mind that gas prices just have to affect what people will be able to donate to the relief effort. Who gets to keep all the extra money made on the gas? Think about all the taxes that will be paid on those inflated gas prices. Think about the attention taken away from the Katrina victims.

And how can American citizens go about organizing rescue missions if our government is dragging their feet in doing so. People are hungry and thirsty. Can't we at least air drop provisions to them? Do they have to come wrapped up in gift wrap and delivered in a limo? I'am fed up with hearing what we are "going" to do. I want to know what the hell we have done. Would we be signing our death warrants if we wanted to shoot our way into the disaster area to help fellow Americans? I am not hearing about any other progress, only plans.

California wake up! Your disaster is still in the making and you know what you can expect from the rest of the country. We'll have to make sure every duck is in the row and all i's dotted and t's crossed before we can move the first can of beans to you.

This is freaking disgusting...........

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-01-2005).]

tryp
09-01-2005, 11:19 PM
The sad part is that oil companies continent wide are cashing in and hte government won't stop them from profiteering. Gas prices jumped 13 cents today per liter that's like 40 cents US per gallon. And we don't get our oil from there nor are we close enough to ship anything down to the trouble spots. They are simply cashing in on a disaster to make some money. I understand things like fuel and oil are commodity priced globally but a regional disaster on the opposite side of the continent should not be a reason to increase revenues of your business 10 percent. Mind you why would the government step in, they are raking in lots of taxes.

WE had line ups and hour long waits for gas here in Prince George BC, yesterday and today. Our refinery is running fine (I can see it across the road from where I work) and our pipeline from northern BC hasn't sustained any flood damage?

Mind you our other plant (one of a few owned by our company) in Leeds North Carolina has had their natural gas shut off due to an extreme shortage and they are scrambling to find more bunker fuel to keep themselves from shutting down.

Brace yourselves for an energy crisis and a severe slowdown in the economy. Too bad it is partly artificial.

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-01-2005, 11:34 PM
I'll ride my motorcycle for awhile I think.. My V10 truck is an 8 MPG guzzler, my car is a V8 17-18 MPG guzzler, but my motorcycle gets 30+ MPG even when pulling wheelies at 180MPH http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Another note on gas prices......

Does anyone know how much per gallon is tax?

-Adrian

AZSORT
09-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Those refineries in the gulf that are now shut down primarily feed pipelines that head to the east coast. It appears that Georgia is at the end of the line.

Greg C.

Tinkerer
09-02-2005, 02:10 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:

-Adrian</font>

I think it's upwards of .58¢ per or so could be more. I went down the road gas was $2.69 15 min later back up the road $3.19.

Duct Taper
09-02-2005, 07:40 AM
OPEC controls oil prices. The Saudis are the powerful ones in OPEC. What I can't figure is why they are raising the price so much right now. I would be interested to know, if anybody can tell me without going into a far left rant.

Your Old Dog
09-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Duct Tape, it may be they're doing it just to show us they can. In other words, "don't mess with us, we can bring you to your knee's"

I heard gas was priced on the "futures market" meaning that when they say gas prices went up $5.00 a barrell, they mean 6 months from now the oil you purchase will cost $5.00 more. So, why do all the gas stations rush outside to up the prices for a price event that won't take place for 6 months. Greed? (remember the old term "on shelf pricing" ?)

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-02-2005).]

RD51
09-02-2005, 07:55 AM
vinito,you're not being paranoid.It's coming.This country may recover from this crap on the Gulf Coast but it's still gonna happen.What cha wonna bet we have a Democrat in office next term,for president?Every damned politician I've seen on TV the last couple of days was talking out of both sides of their mouths.And why,when asked specific questions,can't these creaps give a direct answer?They can talk all around they question but they never answer the question.It truly is time for another Boston Tes Party.

Rustybolt
09-02-2005, 08:04 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:

-Adrian</font>

The actual money paid just for the gasolene without taxes is something like .50 cents(When gas was around 2.00 dollars). So approx. 75% of the price of gasolene is taxes.

mbensema
09-02-2005, 08:19 AM
This chart gives the gas taxes at the pump for each state http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

There probably are taxes at the refinery, but this will give you an idea of what it costs the station.

ibewgypsie
09-02-2005, 08:31 AM
When you consider when, in 71 I was making 1.05 a hour I could buy three gallons of gas.

Slave labor here in this town now makes $12 a hour a lot more than 3 gallons.

If you look at it that way, we have had it really good and not knowed it or appreciated it.

Teach them a lesson, quit buying it. Remember in the 70s when everyone bought small cars and parked thier land barges. Seems the roads are covered in SUV's gas guzzling tons of vehicle with one person in them. That is when Japan started dominating the market on small cars.
I had a vega. I bought oil in gallon cans.

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I rode my motorcycle to work yesturday and today.. We have a special motorcycle parking area at work and it was almost full for the first time. I think it would be great to see less cars/trucks on the road and more motorcycles (with exhaust pipes). Special motorcycle only lanes would be nice too.

-Adrian

Evan
09-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't have the option of riding my motorcycle since my wife and myself plus the dog drive to work every day. I do drive a 4 cylinder PT cruiser that gets pretty good mileage. There isn't anything I can do to cut expenses. I just bought gas this morning and paid $4.00 US per gallon. Like Tryp said, we are being screwed here. We have no shortage, we refine our own and the crude is pumped just up the road.

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-02-2005, 10:57 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
I don't have the option of riding my motorcycle since my wife and myself plus the dog drive to work every day. I do drive a 4 cylinder PT cruiser that gets pretty good mileage. There isn't anything I can do to cut expenses. I just bought gas this morning and paid $4.00 US per gallon. Like Tryp said, we are being screwed here. We have no shortage, we refine our own and the crude is pumped just up the road. </font>

Sounds like you're already conserving gas if all 3 of you drive in one car. I'm lucky that I only live 6 miles from work but most people around here have to drive 25-50+ miles each way in their own car to get to-from work.

tonydacrow
09-02-2005, 11:14 AM
As long as the several state and federal governments involved don’t impose price controls, any shortages that occur will be sporadic and short. If they do impose price controls, shortages will be wide-spread and last as long as the price controls last.

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-02-2005, 11:43 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tonydacrow:
As long as the several state and federal governments involved don’t impose price controls, any shortages that occur will be sporadic and short. If they do impose price controls, shortages will be wide-spread and last as long as the price controls last.</font>

I agree.. I think the price we're paying at the pumps right now is not for the gas in the tank, but for the next high demand/low volume delivery.

-Adrian

Mcgyver
09-02-2005, 12:17 PM
vinito, don't get too paranoid on the corporate conspiracy side, companies are just made up of people, some good, some bad but they aren't incarnate evil. No company can ignore competition, if they really had the power to indiscriminately raise prices to slam the little guy, they wouldn’t need a disaster to mask it. The profit motive is what makes the free enterprise system and competition is the check and balance along with some antitrust legislation.

it not saying there aren't examples of opportunism at the expense of people in dire straights, only just don't go too overboard on trashing the free enterprise system; can you imagine how inefficient the supply chain would be if it was all government run?

tonydacrow
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey, mbensema:

Thanks for the tax chart. It's unfortunate that the chart doesn't have an "idiot-factor" column.

For instance, here in California, we blend gas in such a way that we cannot import it from any other state. That, and the additive package mandates that produce no measurable benefits (some are actually quite harmful to the ground-water) but are extremely expensive, increase prices another $.50 to $.75 a gallon.

Polititians are such idiots!

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
I also notice that a lot of motorcycles that are made to comply with California's regulations end up weighing ~5 LBS more.. I bet that extra 5 lbs of weight ends up burning more gas/creating more pollution than whatever the additional 5 LBS of equipment does to reduce emmisions.. Just my theory anyway. I don't really know why California motorcycles tend to weight ~5 LBS more. That extra weight translates to lower fuel econ and higher emmisions so it better do more good than it does bad.

-Adrian

ibewgypsie
09-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah corporate america can be trusted, just ask the People at Enron.

BillH
09-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Sure, You guys can all ride your motorcycles in the winter when theres snow, or in the rain. In the regions where theres snow, theres good reason to have those big 4wd suv's. Well, atleast the 4wd part of it. With my commute to school, an all electric car would work just great.

Mcgyver
09-02-2005, 02:18 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Yeah corporate America can be trusted, just ask the People at Enron.</font>

Do you thing it makes sense to judge everyone in a group as being the same? Because of a machinist or electrician I once met or heard about that is how I am to judge you? Are all the machinist the same, the bus drivers, the electricians? There is good and bad in any vocation.

In my experience trust, honesty and virtue are key success factors in business. The successful ones, for the most part, know this and practice it. Doesn’t mean you can’t readily identify exceptions but nevertheless its not logical to say because so-and-so is bad, all business people are bad.

I have to give credit to America for putting the bad ones in jail, that will long term really help restore credibility of the system. Here in Canada, all our bad guys make the press for a few weeks then live happily ever after buzzing around in the Ferraris and living on lakeshore blvd.

Anyway, my point wasn't to trust, thats surrending control, it was to point out competition is the main reason the free enterprise system is self correcting and doesn't run out control, failing a criminal activity of course which can mess up any system

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 09-02-2005).]

Evan
09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Mcgyver,

I suggest you check out the year over year profit results for all the major oil companies. They are swimming in money.

John Stevenson
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't have the option of riding my motorcycle since my wife and myself plus the dog drive to work every day. </font>

Can't you get the missus on the pillion and get the dawg to run longside?

John S.

Evan
09-02-2005, 03:17 PM
I did consider building a side car. Still, at -20 it gets a bit nippy.

Yankee1
09-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Hello David,
If you are going to use LPG gas the system will require a vacumn operated lock valve to turn the gas on when the engine cranks and to shut off the gas when the engine is shut off. This is between the tank and the carb. Gasoline jumped up 21 cents to 3.05 as soon as the storm hit N.O.
I'm located in southern Oregon.
Best regards to all.
Chuck

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-02-2005, 03:46 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
Can't you get the missus on the pillion and get the dawg to run longside?

John S.

</font>

He might have a hard time keeping up with the dog http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

I did consider building a side car. Still, at -20 it gets a bit nippy.</font>

You could build a dog sled for the winter http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

Paul Alciatore
09-02-2005, 04:56 PM
That storm didn't just hit NO. It hit all of us. And it isn't over by a long shot.

The gouging won't last but the legit higher prices will. Perhaps for many years.

On the other hand, I read an e-mail today that told me that there is hope. One of our clients, the Oreck Vacuum Cleaner people were based in NO and had a factory in Long Beach, Mississippi (near Golfport). They are already getting the word out to their employees that they still have a job. They are getting food, water, generators, making arrangements with shippers for bringing supplies in and product out, getting emergency housing for the families, etc., etc.

Way more organized than the government: US, state, or local. It CAN be done and private business is far more competant at it. I hope others will observe and imitate. It WILL be done. God bless.

Paul A.

Mcgyver
09-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Mcgyver,

I suggest you check out the year over year profit results for all the major oil companies. They are swimming in money.</font>

well, thats a bit superficial (how much profit is too much and how much is justified by invested capital AND if the ratio wasn't reasonable there'd be new entrants), petroleum, integrated oil co's have a 9% net profit margin, not exactly swimming in it.

Of course they are in business to make a profit and you are welcome to buy shares, which you may already own if not directly then in your pension or insurance. As a sector petroleum's ROE is a healthy 16%, not bad, but but far behind building materials, beverages, food processing, medical equipment, home building, drugs, etc.

again, i'm not so right wing that i will defend all business at all cost, especially oil who definitely has their skeletons, but its equally unproductive to slaughter all businesses/people through ignorance.

chief
09-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Your high gas prices are a result of the futures market and other speculation. I'm surprise that so many people are ignorant as to how the market effects goods and services.
This has been coming for a longtime but most people don't pay attention.
Very early this year there was much talk of a lack of POL storage and refining capabilites in the US,The reason for it is beacuse everytime a company wants to drill, build a refinery or tank farm a vocal minority jumps up and screams about the environmental damage. we can't have it both ways, you either invest in new facilities or you pay high prices and do without.
The same goes for the levi system in New Orleans the money was taken away because evrytime the corp of engineers wanted to modify or change the levi the environmentalists screamed so nothing got done but you don't see thsoe same people down there now offering help or solution.
The whole country's infrastructure is crumbling because of stumbling block put in place be liberl minded politicans of both parties so until that changes we have to suck it up.

Evan
09-02-2005, 06:39 PM
A quick look at a Canadian oil company, Petro Canada. Since 2001 their cost of goods sold has gone up 1.4 times. However, their net earnings has gone up 2.1 times.

Their gross margin for 2004 was 43.12% and their operating margin was 23.66%. I expect that to take a big jump for this year, really big. This is well into the realm of price gouging.

Another item that really grates my ass is how we are reamed here on a local basis. The pump price in Williams Lake is $1.22 cdn/L this morning, about the same as the pump price in Vancouver. However, Vancouver has about 20 cents additional local transit region tax that we don't have. So, we are paying about 65 US cents more a US gallon. That is going straight to the oil company and they are relying on consumer ignorance to get away with it. The oil company profit margin here is obscenely high because of this.

trigger
09-02-2005, 06:59 PM
The company my wife works for which is based in the San Francisco area just donated five million dollars for the relief effort along the gulf coast. There are fund raising drives going on local radio stations and public television channels. California will probably donate more money than most other states and our California National Guard is already their. So I do get tired of someone telling us that California needs to wake up. If somebody needs to vent about disaster response it my be best to take a good hard look at where the real blame rests and that would probably be with our piece of **** president.

Wayne02
09-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Gas lines eh? Hmmm, shades of the 70's.

My father owned a service station then, and I was a teenager getting my first taste of the work world at the station. My job was to stand in the pump aisle and pump gas all day to the never ending, as far as the eye could see, line of cars.

We had to shut down all but two of the pump aisles just so we could maintain some sense of order. The county sheriff stood next to his car one of the closed aisles all day long.

If anyone pissed me off I made them go to the end of the line and try again. I understood people would be a little tired and cranky, but would not stand for condescending, rude, and sometimes abusive treatment from any of the "customers".

Those were some looooong days, car after car, after car. Back in those days there was no "self service", which meant I was washing windows, and checking the oil on every car that came through. In addition there was very little use of credit cards, it was 80% cash. I got really good at making change.

My father would spend most of the day with a phone in his ear trying to negotiate when we would get our next delivery of fuel. When he was not on the phone he was sticking the tanks trying to estimate when we would run out fuel.

To make matters worse, only a minuscule amount of the businesses profit came from the sale of gasoline. Most of the profit came from mechanic work out of the service bays. Because of the situation, all 3 of the employees had to be manning the pump aisles or controlling traffic on a full-time basis. This meant we could not take on any meaningful service work during those times.

I was thankful the sheriff was camped out there as I sure did want to spray gasoline on a couple of those obnoxious customers and set them on fire some days.

Sometimes if someone pissed me off and I sent them to the end of the line they would whine to the deputy about it. If it was still early in the day the customer would get his "professional" response. Which was something along the lines of, "please return to the end of the line and re-approach with a more respectful demeanor".

If it was near the end of the day the deputy's response was closer to, "don't piss off the guy with the gasoline. He has the right to refuse to do business with you. Now return to the end of the line before you piss me off as well". Thankfully though, most of the customers were pretty good, even the cute girls.

Yep, those were the days...

Wayne