PDA

View Full Version : USA state of confusion, ebay purchases

ibewgypsie
09-04-2005, 10:08 AM
While all the focus is on the devastation and gas prices it is a good time to bid and win on ebay. (Friend got a harley for $2100)

I got a 4jaw chuck last night for less than $15 plus shipping. I have been after one for about a year or more.

Shipping quotes, get them first, the carriers are going crazy with fuel costs.

David

ibewgypsie
09-04-2005, 10:10 AM
There's a running southbend cnc lathe near Chicago, was $100 last night.

I wish I was closer, or had my one ton truck running. I'd make room.

sandman2234
09-04-2005, 11:11 AM
That would be a costly trip on your part, to Chicago and back. Probably cost you in the neighborhood of around $400 to $500 in fuel alone. Plus a room for one night, food to go, etc.
Rapidly turns a good deal into a debatable one.
Now if you could pull it behind a motorcyle, it would still be a good deal.
I drove 150 trip to pick up a pair of lawn mowing decks that I didn't need, but wanted. Guess we all have a want list, and just enough gas to make it there...
David from (even further) Jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

ibewgypsie
09-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Sandman, yeah the oneton has dual saddle propane tanks. A single fuel motor. WHen I pull it out (it has a hole in the bottom) I plan on looking into putting a gas carburetor and valving to swap fuels in.

The truck probably will be so expensive to drive I won't. My lil ranger v6 is still kicking thou. It'd tow a trailer I put a hitch on it. Problem is when a load/trailer outweighs the vehicle it is dangerous.

David

aboard_epsilon
09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
It may ammaze you this .
I get 25 percent better fuel consumption pulling a trailer with lpg than I do pulling a trailer with petrol.
when not pulling a trailer lpg consumption is 10 percent worse than petrol.
Traffic jams ques etc lpg consumption is better that petrol.
think this may have something to do with the fact that lpg does not have accelerator pumps etc.
lpg in the uk is less than half of price of petrol.
all the best..mark

JIMofalltrades031
09-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey Mark, It is nice to see someone using Lp as a source. (I am in the business). Unfortunately in the States, LP is usually more expensive than petrol or diesel because of TAXES and other things. I have a Ford P/U that runs on LP only because of my position. It would be the perfect fuel if engines were designed from the outset to use it. But the manufacturers don't do this for some reason. I had the compression increased in my 250 six to around 11 to 1. The mileage wasn't effected but the girl had way more power. I currently have almost 300k on this engine (original). No sludge in the crankcase or on the valvetrain! Blowby is nonexistant but I did have to replace the valve seals from cracking. I normally get anywhere from 18 to 23 miles per gallon of liquid. It does require some creativity in climates that get down to around 20 below.

madman
09-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Came back from fishing. Took the 460 . Got 10 miles per gallon on propane in the dual fuel unit. It gets 12.68 miles per gallon on gas. Not bad pulling a camper and boat. Gets the same mileage with load or without it seems. Caught two twenty pound salmon had a tiring but nice day. I like propane, engines run great on it.Edelbrock heads and manifold next and cam and gears.

aboard_epsilon
09-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I've noticed that the ambient air temp seams to have an effect on the fuel consumption.
in the winter and at temps below 15 degrees it uses a lot more lpg fuel.
I use open loop.......I wont go closed loop because the payback time on the savings would be in years.
Yes the engine does run very clean ...oil stays golden and does not turn black with the carbon petrol would have put into it.
I converted over 5 years ago.......I dont do an awful lot of miles per year......but reconed to have saved over £5000 in the time I've been converted.
It has also enabled me to go out long distances to pick up machines that I otherwise would not have bothered thinking about,as soon as I added up the costs.

I recently made a journey of 560 miles on 80ltrs...
....£17. each way
280 miles each way .
.total £34 .
....this journey was 6.5 hours each way in in traffic jams.
The same on petrol I reconed given the curcumstaces would have cost me £55 each way... total £110......so I saved over £80.

Cant work out why the people who have the skils to convert and install the system are not doing it.
open loop diy system sells in the uk for £350 diy install...payback time would be less than 5 months on avarage milage.
all the best..mark
a happy lpg car owner.

dhammer
09-04-2005, 11:17 PM
We used to run all of our LP delivery trucks and service pickups on LP but the new computer controlled vehicles are expensive to convert. I should convert my 1984 GMC 1 ton to LPG.. right now I can buy LP at $1.20 gal.. employee discount. However in the winter we see -40F once in awhile.. hard to start LPG vehicles when it that cold.

Davis In SC
09-04-2005, 11:28 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
While all the focus is on the devastation and gas prices it is a good time to bid and win on ebay. (Friend got a harley for $2100)

I got a 4jaw chuck last night for less than $15 plus shipping. I have been after one for about a year or more.

Shipping quotes, get them first, the carriers are going crazy with fuel costs.

David</font>
On the Ebay Topic, I agree, things are not selling well now... I have been following things there, I had planned to sell some tooling since Summer is ending.. I am not sure if it is the poor economy, or if buyers are just spending their money on vacations, etc. From my observations, now is a good time to be buying on Ebay...