X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibewgypsie
    • Dec 2002

Hunting down electrical components.

I'm working on a cheap DRO, going to use a Encoder cable operated mounted away from the mess. Need to find a chip supplier, a htcl-2000,2016,2020 to evaluate the cost.

Yeah, lots of "it's great" works on my robot pages but no suppliers or costs.

It reads encoder clock pulses to a internal up/dn count register, then can dump the total out a multi-line bus. Thing to do? create a rack w.addressable multiplexed registers to slide this lil neat card into. I got some drawings. Kinda like a homemade plc.

End result, a Dro Cheap.

How come all the things I wanna do require me standing on my head? is it "Murphies law?"
  • Alistair Hosie
    • Aug 2002

How could you stand on your own head?? you would need a very flexible back and extraordinarily long legs Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• JPR
      • Jun 2004

David,

Have you considered two current options, the first being the ShumaTech display and the second choice being a dos program run on an old pc? This page has a newer 5.4 version of the program. Either choice can use regular scales or a cable operated rotary encoder.
      John

Comment

• ibewgypsie
        • Dec 2002

yes, not to hurt anyone's feelings but I feel the Shumatech 350 dro to be overpriced for what it is, it is a 3 channel serial device with readout.

You could do the same thing with a stamp, reading the ttl serial from the scales. To convert a quadrature encoder to the chinese serial language it takes a adapter.

I got a half dozen stamps around here, serial displays, more toys than any kid should be allowed to have.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 09-04-2005).]

Comment

• topct
          • Jan 2004

Something like that dos program only with a display like this one...

I wonder if a guy might design a curcuit and software and put it on a cd and sell it? I would buy something like that. Has anyone seen or heard of such?

------------------
          Gene
          Gene

Comment

• ibewgypsie
            • Dec 2002

The gadget I am building is the front end for a cnc. DO it in steps once trust is aqquired. Hence the slots for more gadgets to be put into the network.

Years ago I built a small device with 12 controls lines and 8 input lines, it addressed the flip-flop and shift register chips available at that time. You throwed out a binary code reflecting the address of the card and read or wrote information to it. A 8255 was the main chip on the interface card. It was a isa slot rascal thou and not anything that will (would if I could find it) work with pci bus in new machines.
            I thought a card with encoder input, variable pulse train output and H-bridge controls and possibly a fast cpu in charge.

Yeah first you get them addicted to crack, then you control the source/supply. Then all the crackheads work for you. (he he) rubbing hands together briskly.. Oiii ve well.

Parallel computer control is a thing of the past. New computers don't even come with a parallel port. USB is the new toy, it takes a cpu to make packet transactions. Who has a USB DRO/CNC/PLC control? Not even me yet.

Most the people who will not buy a cnc want a table feed. You know one with a speed knob and A DRO. Little do they know they already have invested in 1/2 of the process.
            David

Comment

• Flash319
              • May 2004

Check out usdigital.com. They have some neat chips for encoders and stuff. I bought a few for a project I was going to do but have yet to do it.

Comment

Hmm, if Digikey or Mouser doesnt have it, I usually give up on that part.

Comment

• hammerhead74000
                  • Feb 2005

>> New computers don't even come with a parallel port.

I've yet to see a desktop that lacked one... all Mini-ITX boards that I've seen include one also. (not saying they don't exist - just that I've yet to come across one)

Heck - you can still get a motherboard with ISA slots:

But, for USB stuff, check out the G-REX (used to be called the G2002)

Or, you could just use a FTDI chip:

We help engineers and hobbyists worldwide embrace USB technology.

And as mentioned above, US Digital has LSI quadrature decoder chips.

Also, a PIC can handle a quadrature signal without additional hardware (you use the "interrupt on port B change" feature to capture the state transitions).

Comment

• CCWKen
                    • Jan 2003

Look for HCTL's instead of HTCL's.

Comment

• Bond
                      • Aug 2005

Have you checked with Radio Shack Commercial.They have a commercial catalog that list items not found in the stores.
                      Bond

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                        • May 2002

Newark ( www.newark.com ) lists the HCTL 2016 and 2020. They are both described as "microprocessor support..." and are made by Agilent Technologies ( www.semiconductor.agilent.com ). About $22 and $25 each. If they stock those two I am sure they can get the other one. Prices on lagrer quantities will be less.

I know that's not your exact number. Have you transposed two letters?

For one-zies, I have gotten engineering samples from Agilent in the past. A well written request stands a good chance of working. Explain the product you are developing and how many you hope to sell. The ultimate quantity does not have to be tens of thousands.

Even big electronic supply houses often can not stock a manufacturer's full line. Inquiries to them often get results that are lot listed in their catalogs or web sites. Of course, delivery times are longer.

Paul A.
                        Paul A.
                        s
                        Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• ibewgypsie
                          • Dec 2002

I get dyslexia at times. yeah..

SOrry..

I have been working on the dro-parallel port all morning. It loses counts when bill takes the OS out for a dance. SO, a dedicated chip is neccessary. I thought so, but I had to prove it to myself.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X