PDA

View Full Version : OT Emergency Kit

Davis In SC
09-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Not to be an alarmist, but after seeing what happened during & after the hurricane, I decided to update my emergency supply kit...
It is a Plastic Home Depot tool box. I got it after 9/11, & stocked a few supplies in it, but I started adding to it today. Basic tools: Adj. Wrench, pliers, screwdrivers, Knife, hacksaw blades, small rope, space blanket, ziplock bag of change & small bills, lighter & matches, first aid stuff, a few plastic trash bags, an Army survival kit, baby wipes, & a few clean rags, gloves... & other things, as I think of them.
On a moments notice, that box, along with some cash & a few defense items, could make a big difference. You never know what could happen, & I would not want to be left in the shape as the ones left behind in New Orleans.. & may I add , keep a full tank of fuel...

madman
09-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Just bought 1000 more rounds for the Galil. Also three jars of peanut butter and a BIG pack of wipe .

Norman Atkinson
09-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Not surprisingly, I disagree!

When it comes to having been in an emergency- and talking about it, count me in.

Three and a half years ago, I had yet another of these dramas. Like the film- the first one- of the Italian Job, my car went off the road at 6500feet, fell 50 feet and somersaulted 5 times into a river upside down at minus 10 Celsius! I would say that that is a fair test of what we had that day.
There was a mobile phone, there were torches, there was enough food and water to last for days- there were 18 bottles of wine and 2 crates of beer-or there were.
There was a first aid kit- Mercs have them as standard and there was a surgeons kit to take on the clever stuff. My wife is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and I helped form a Mountain rescue team. The tool kit was there, plus winter tires, chains, shovels, spare clothes. There was even spare spectacles, sun glasses and my hearing aids. The fire extinguisher- even in a diesel car was in place- and the tank was almost full. Theoretically, we should have withstood most things- apart from an atomic blast.

We were on a road free of snow but there was ice from melt water on the bends, but we had driven the bends so many times. After all, we were within sight of a fully equiped home- ours!
Four days later, we made it to our little home.

So what did we have that was any use? All the foregoing were strewn across the mountain side and in thee river. We were left with the clothes that we stood up in.
No clean pants for my wife in her hospital bed, no spectacles to replace the ones torn from my head. The only other things were what was in my ski jacket and in my wife's handbag which she had pushed through the broken drivers window- before I pulled her through.

What was in the handbag? Passports, insurances, identities, phone numbers and money- in suitable for several countries and credit cards.

As the ambulance which finally arrived to complete what had been a self rescue up to that point, I knew that it had another job.
A BMW was in trouble just 10 miles up the valley. The crew could take their time.
The occupants- who had only fallen half our drop, were already DEAD.

I hope that this story will be of use- sometime.

Norman

Buckshot
09-04-2005, 02:17 AM
.......Back in the early 70's after I got out of the Navy I was heavy into offroading. This lasted up into the 80's. This wasn't Baja 1000 type stuff, but desert and mountain exploration, low speed crawling, and much footwork. Mainly old mine sites and WW2 military desert training ops areas in the Mojave (Patton mainly).

Normally like scuba diving you had another vehicle or 2 along. The company was nice and it doubled your suviveability and increased the gear you could carry. I had a pretty comprehensive personal emergancy survival kit packed in a 20mm ammo box, in addition to emergancy minor repair stuff for the vehicle.

Any list would be too long and dull to list but was generated through much reading of other 4X experiences, offroad books and a buddie's dad who was a rockhound. One nice thing was that my brother is a physician so we had some interesting medical supplies. Happily none of that was ever called for.

In fact, about the only emergancy item ever used was a hose bandage for a bottom radiator hose and a tire boot. It WAS a comfort to know the stuff was along.

There is nothing at all wrong with having an emergancy/survival kit. Since about 10 years ago all the schools here in town have 20' or 40' ocean containers on the property stocked with emergancy stuff. Here in So. Calif one of the most immediately important items is water, as there is an extreme lack of readily available surface water.

Due to our earthquakes, a severe one would most likely effect electrical distribution in addition to possibly rendering public and private wells OOC, besides power availability. I admit that I have no emergancy stock of water on hand, even though economical 35gal plastic barrels are available just for this.

Rick

chief
09-04-2005, 03:11 AM
A kit is good, especially if you never have to use it. You have to think about what situation you might run into and plan from there and you have to take into the consideration the enviroment in which you will be surviving in.
When I taught SERE school I had to make sure that I explained the difference incurred by pilots verus boat crews. For example I instructed pilots to carry an extra
canteen of water in their flight suit and do whatever it takes to obtain a 45 and ****can the 38. Boat crews on the other hand were lcose to a water source and usually could get off the boat witha m16 or 14.
One of the best tools in any area 1s 2 large heavy duty plastic trash bags. they have unlimited uses.

IOWOLF
09-04-2005, 08:00 AM
As members of C.E.R.T. my wife and I have back packs made up with all the recomended stuff and things like duct tape, crazy glue,batteryless flashlight, space blanket, and so on.
Are we ready? Probabaly not, but we try to be.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Your Old Dog
09-04-2005, 08:22 AM
I think the value of such emergency kits is not only in there intended use but also because they provoke thought about the subject. I have spent a large part of my life thinking about what I need to do to stay ready and I think that has as much to do with keeping me out of trouble as having any kit. We are not within walking distance of any help so we have a stash of food and supplys in the basement.

While watching Katrina I explained to my wife who I think, thinks I act like a Boy Scout too much, that we need to be able to fend for ourselves at least 10 days. The government will keep people from coming to our aide (they won't let you in) for at for least 5 to 6 days before a military responce is able to make it in. The biggest threat in my part of the country would be a parallized community due to an electrical blackout or stoppage of fuelf during Winter months. The Blizzard of 77 was a walk in the park compared to what our neighbors to the South have endured.

If any of you young bucks ever try to effect rescue in a disaster don't use the main roads. You'll have to sneak in on back road channels. This rescue issue in the South has to be thourghly aired out before I'll be satisfied it won't happen again. I want to go into a flood zone to try an rescue someone I should be allowed to do it if you don't want to. It's my life and the potential victims life, not goverment lives. We have a large group of folks who think only govermnent can do anything useful!!! It's good to be ready. If only for the peace of mind.

L Webb
09-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Shortly after 9/11 we put together emergency backpacks for the employees and ourselves.
If there was a major earthquake or terrorist attack, the employees were to grab one before they left.

Each pack contains 5 bottles of water, ziplock bags containing items such as food which consists of beef jerky, granola bars and nuts, spare batteries for the flashlight and walkman radio, bic lighter, single edge razor blades, small pocket knife, leatherman tool, latex gloves, dust masks and goggles.

First aid contents include antibiotic ointment, gauze and tape, a couple of bandaids, ace bandage, tylenol and q-tips and cotton balls. Some additional items are tie wraps, $20 in small bills and change, electrical tape, plastic poncho, large trash bags and a couple empty ziplock bags.

While the kits may not be perfect, I feel they give someone an edge for a couple of days especially if they had to try to make it home on foot.

We keep enough canned food and water stocked in the shop to last a couple of weeks. Plenty of propane for the BBQ to cook the food in the refrigerator and freezer before it spoils. The only question is how long is the ammo gonna last. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Les

x39
09-04-2005, 05:07 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
As members of C.E.R.T. my wife and I
</font>

Thumbs up to you both, sir! I'm hoping to get some of the membership of the rod and gun club I belong to involved with C.E.R.T.. We have an excellent facility and a lot of ardent outdoorsmen who could be a real asset in an emergency.

IOWOLF
09-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Thank you, It has been a good expierience for us both.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Davis In SC
09-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Good idea, about the backpack, I have one I never use, I might make up a kit in it, also....One thing I have found to be very useful are the Cyalume lightsticks. The 12 hour ones stay illuminated long enough to last several nights. I usually get them for 1 dollar each at the gunshow.. A few of them takes very little space.

BillH
09-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Also, may I add in some common sense and money to live on. The disaster in New Orleans, there was enough warning to get the heck out of there. I can only imagine that some people didnt leave because they could not afford to.

IOWOLF
09-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Bill, that belongs in another thread, this one is about backpacks and what goes in them.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

BillH
09-04-2005, 07:13 PM
No Wolf, its about a Home Depot tool box, none the less, the most important tool is your brain.

Wayne02
09-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Supposedly I live in earthquake country here in WA. Our emergency people have told us we need be prepared to "survive" for a period of 2 weeks on our own. This is without needing to venture out, or expecting emergency personnel to come to our aid.

So, I guess I've adopted more of a bug-in strategy in that we would likely be staying put until roads are passable, utilities restored etc. This is of course all well and good if the quake hits on a Sunday afternoon while my entire family is at home. Murphy's law dictates that it would probably not go down that way. This means I would need to get back to the home somehow, someway.

Assuming the roads are impassable, at some point in my trek towards home I would have to abandoned my truck and set out on foot. Depending on where I am at the time, walking home could take a looooong time, but I would get it done somehow.

Seems I should have a backpack in the truck that would assist me in hiking home under adverse conditions. I'm thinking in the backpack should be:

pistol & ammo (if not on person)
first aid kit
hiking boots
socks
snacks & sugar pills (diabetic)
small supply of prescription meds
hat
cash - maybe used to pay for a ride to get closer to home.
water
flashlight - maybe a headlight?
walking stick

What else???

The above scenario assumes I would be within one days hike away from home. Which would be the case if I were at work. Not sure how much ground an old man like me could cover in a day.

One thing I struggle with the issue of communication. Assuming that one or more of the family members (3) are in different places when the disaster hits, how to communicate so we can make a plan to hook-up and get home.

Thinking the landlines would be down and cell phones jambed. Not sure if Gmrs is viable in this type of situation or not. Ham radio I suppose, but that seems really involved. Smoke signals...???

Wayne

BillH
09-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Ham Radio, excellent idea, I am a HAM, and I didnt think of that. A good hand held ham radio, that puts out 5 watts with a ham book listing all the repeaters in the USA. Dual or Tri band HT, covering 2meters, 440, and if Tribander, 6 meters as well. You should be good to go. Get on top of a hill, 2 meters at 5 watts should get you 20+ miles line of sight

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 09-04-2005).]

spope14
09-04-2005, 10:01 PM
The biggest downfall of so many people in NO was the inability to plan for themselves and think for them selves. I am very glad to see this thread, for it says - you are responsible for your own lives first.

My personal Emergency kit is custo9mized to meet our areas needs - like ice storms, heavy storms, or bio threats and dirty bombs. Though food is not there right in the kit, it is very close and planned out for five minute "gathering". We have a system that could keep us for ten days.

One thing people forget. If stuck in your home, you have a 40 to 55 gallon secure water supply in your water heater.

JRouche
09-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Very good ideas from all...It seems I could never have "enough" to survive, there are always more items of importance to include.

Personally for me all the didy bags full of safety gear are great. My problem is thicker. I could survive on my own indefinitely. But I have small children (2&5) too protect. Honestly I dont think I could do it unless I had a "place" already set-up in the sticks (Idaho http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif ) somewhere. I would be thinking of long term placement. I would have my 4 wheeler setup with all the excellent pack ideas given here.

God help us protect our selves and our loved ones. JRouche

jr45acp
09-05-2005, 12:19 PM
IOWOLF, please educate me, just what is C.E.R.T?

It sounds interesting.

Feel free to email me if you choose.

John B

BillH
09-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Another Item I thought of, sorry if someone else already said it, A Mirror, for signaling. In case theres helicopters looking for you or what ever else.
Hmm, and for the Ham radio, perhaps a photocell for keeping it charged.

IOWOLF
09-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanx for asking, Community Emergency Responce Team, A branch of FEMA and the Presidents Citizen Corps,and funded by the Homeland Security dept.

Basicly you authorised to go around a disaster area to look for survivors,treat minor wounds, preform Triage,and whatever they tell you to do, even cutting trees,making sandbags and helping do minor things so the professionals can do there jobs better. The more you know the better jobs you get, and with some employers it is just like a reservist leave.
Talk to your local fema office the course is free.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Weston Bye
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM
All those people in the middle of a flooded city, and nothing to drink! A little knowledge, a few scavengable items and some patience: a solar still.

Look here:

http://www.energywhiz.com/3-5/EXPERIMENTS/solarstill.htm

I took the time to instruct my grown children about how to do it, and told them to teach my grandchildren.

Wes

charlie coghill
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Connecting up with family should be preplanded. Plan on meeting at some designated place, some home or other place.

The other problem is that your emergency kit could be burned up, washed away in a flood or blown away in a hurricane. A secondary plan and kit should be kept at some place that would be known to your family.

jr45acp
09-06-2005, 09:46 AM
IOWOLF, thanks for the heads up. I'll definately be checking that out. I'm a former Hospitalcorpman and spent many years in the paramedical field. Maybe they can put me to good use.

John B

ARFF79
09-06-2005, 11:22 AM
The one thing missing in all of these posts is just as important as the items listed. All foods,water, medicines, batteries and certain first aid supplies need to be rotated on an on going basis. Most packaged good have an expiration date. While they may still be usable after that date, I would not want to place too much trust in some canned goods or medical items that were much past this date. We replace medical items on the ambulance within 1 month of expiration, even though they could still be used up to 6 months past that without fear of adding to the patients' problem.
Somewhere there is a site that lists exactly what the shelf life of packaged goods is. Complete with a breakdown of packaging types, such as water in plastic vs. glass, or metal tins.