PDA

View Full Version : Cutting with a Mill

Flash319
09-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I have some half inch plate that I need to cut in half but with an angle in it. Is there a tool for cutting on milling machine or should I just use a roughing end mill??

webbch
09-05-2005, 01:01 PM
I take it the plate is outside the capacity of your bandsaw? If it was me, I would probably cut it using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder, then clean it up in the mill. That is assuming of course you don't have one of those slick circular saws for cutting metal saw (HF Metal Cutting Circular Saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=8897).(I've never used one before, they just look rather handy)

Chad

[This message has been edited by webbch (edited 09-05-2005).]

[This message has been edited by webbch (edited 09-05-2005).]

sandman2234
09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Lets see, cut off wheel, 1/2" plate, too big for his saw, YIKES, a guy could be there for days.
Know anyone with a plasma cutter, torch, waterjet, etc,
Or just farm it out to somebody that does.
David from jax

(I would cut it on the mill, but I am hard headed!!)

lynnl
09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by webbch:
[B]I take it the plate is outside the capacity of your bandsaw? If it was me, I would probably cut it using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder, then clean it up in the mill. That is assuming of course you don't have one of those slick circular saws for cutting metal saw (HF Metal Cutting Circular Saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=8897).(I've never used one before, they just look rather handy)

Chad
[end quote]

That HF saw description says "..Cut through metal as thick as 0.118'' (3mm) to 0.275'' (7mm)"

Hmmm, 3mm or 7mm. Which is it? Not sure what they mean, but either way it comes up short of 1/2".

Before I got a H/V bandsaw I used roughing endmills for that situation.

A few years back HSM had an article describing using a regular carbide toothed circular saw mounted on a arbor for similar duty. Said to work just fine.
I tried it on one of those little nested, multi-sized arbors for slitting saws. Was working ok ...til the arbor broke.
Of course, depending on the size of the plate, setting it up on a verticle mill might be a challenge.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 09-06-2005).]