PDA

View Full Version : Rudy's non-compression engine plans

emotorwerks
09-07-2005, 06:59 PM
I was wondering if the only way to get the plans for Rudy Kouhoupt's non-compression engine is by purchasing the Bay-Com video. Not that I have anything against them or the videos, actually they are very good, but I wondered if those plans were published (or will be published) in any book or article. If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks
Jamie

GregC
09-07-2005, 07:18 PM
What's unique about it? There are plenty of non-compression engines - what's special about his?

lugnut
09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Well, it’s obvious you don’t know Rudy!

japcas
09-07-2005, 10:34 PM
You can rent the video and plans from Technical video.com I believe it is. I think it cost me about $16 to rent it. I believe they let you keep them for 7 or 10 days. There is some footage of it running and it is a very neat engine. Looks good without being too complicated to build.

Amity
09-08-2005, 12:56 AM
OK, Ill bite... What is it?

emotorwerks
09-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Here is a pic of the engine: http://www.bay-com.com/images/Pioneer%201.jpg

I don't know if there is anything particularly special about it Greg. I saw it on Rudy's table at Cabin Fever and thought it was an interesting engine. Plus, it looks pretty easy to build and my short attention span won't let me get into anything too difficult...

Thanks for the tip japcas, I didn't realize that they would send the plans along with the DVD's. Did you build one of these?

Thanks,
Jamie

GregC
09-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Hmm...it has a crank and what appears to be a con rod, so I assume it has a piston? What does it run off of - steam?

Mcgyver
09-08-2005, 10:22 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GregC:
Hmm...it has a crank and what appears to be a con rod, so I assume it has a piston? What does it run off of - steam?</font>

its not steam - or at least its single acting if it is steam, also looks like points & wires there - internal combustion is my guess, but what does non-compression mean?? can anyone enlighten us on the operating principle?

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 09-08-2005).]

japcas
09-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Emotorworks, yes I am currently building it. The engine is an internal combustion engine that runs on coleman fuel with a little oil mixed in. It is a two stroke engine with poppet valves and the cams are mounted directly on the crankshaft. The reason it is called a non compression engine is because it doesn't compress the fuel mixture. I'll try to explain. It exhaust on the up stroke of the crank. At about 6 degrees after top dead center the intake valve opens and it closes at about 45 degrees. At about 46 degrees atdc the spark plug fires pushing the piston the rest of the way through the stroke. Then at about 180 degrees the exhaust opens and closes back at about 5 degrees before top dead center. Then the cycle starts all over again. There is no governor. Hope this helps.

ahidley
09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
So its more of a "woof" vs a "pop" ?? It does not sound like it will make much power?
Perhaps with a real long stroke it would produce some power??

GregC
09-08-2005, 02:09 PM
It sounds like a normal piston engine but with a very 'late' cam and ignition profile. It seems like it would not be very efficient; it's the compression of the fuel/air mixture that 'multiplies' the power contained therein.

japcas
09-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Most model hit and miss engines don't make much power either. Especially the small ones. I don't think Rudy designed it to be a powerhouse. Just something different that runs well and is easy to make. The engine he built and ran in the video sounded real nice and ran very good. The whole point is to make something neat that will run well and be fun to build in the process.

Happy
09-08-2005, 04:05 PM
many of the very first internal combustion engines were like this. the steam engines had a very smooth output, and this was the best way to try an replicate this. also, it is much easier on the valves, and such.