PDA

View Full Version : OT: NO; Good News

Paul Alciatore
09-08-2005, 12:12 PM
I just got a phone call from my wife. She just heard from her family (several cousins), most of whom lived in St Bernard Parish, a suburb just East of NO. Oil refineries, chemical companies, big aluminum plant, etc there. St Bernard was hit even harder than NO. Not much news coverage there, I suspect the reporters can't get in.

The good news is that they all seem to be OK. The bad news is that at at least one of their homes is a complete loss. Likely more of them as well. Jobs are an unanswered question. But thank God, they are all OK.

I had to share the good news. My wife has been worried sick all week.

Paul A.

Norman Atkinson
09-08-2005, 01:09 PM
PaulA,

We in the UK are getting news of 25000 body bags, people in isolated areas eaten a supermarket empty, bodies floating, bodies just lying under bridges.
We are following events as closely as you.
It is wonderful to read that someone is finally getting good news.
Our thoughts go out to those who are still waiting for news.

We can only pray that the news is not as bleak as it appears tonight.

Good night and God be with you all.

Norman

Paul Alciatore
09-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Norman,

As we all pray. And donate!

New Orleans will live again. I don't care how many people suggest it should be abandoned, it will rise from the ashes, or muck that is. And the Mississippi Gulf Coast also.

Paul A.

Ries
09-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Paul, there was a very good article about St. Bernard Parish, and the towns of Arabi, Chalmette, and Meraux, in the wall street journal yesterday. Right next to the 9th ward, and hit just as badly. Between Lake Borgne and Pontchartrain, and therefore one of the most inaccesible parts of town after the flood.
The story told of families snagging passing boats, and getting away, after using chainsaws and axes to cut their way out of their own attics. Lots of deaths, total destruction to many neighborhoods.

torker
09-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Paul...That's great news! I can just imagine how tough it was waiting to hear something.
With all the devastation they where very lucky to come out of the mess.
Russ