PDA

View Full Version : south bend lathe mod a new or used parts

john a mccallister
10-20-2002, 01:20 PM
need thread dial and small attachment that goes in spindle that is used with 6k collets
was recently given this lathe with a 6 and 4 jaw chuck
any help would greatly appreciated
thanks john

------------------

SGW
10-20-2002, 01:27 PM
The Model A (9", I assume) typically takes 3C collets, I think. I'm not sure you'd be able to use 6K; those are for the 10K lathe and the collet closer taper is an integral part of the spindle. But what do I know.....

Several years ago there was an article in HSM about making a threading dial for a South Bend lathe. You may want to look that up. Otherwise, I suspect your best bet is to check with used machinery dealers; several good ones advertise in HSM.

chip's
10-20-2002, 08:18 PM
John I made my thread dial for an article in hsm. It works great. You will need to make or buy a gear.
If you don't want to do this check leblonde or as SGW said check with the used machinery dealers.
Rick

roberlt
10-20-2002, 10:17 PM
Thread dials show up on ebay (at a price) however I made one with my 10K and a drill press using an article in MW Feb 1999 "A real do it yourself threading dial" (ask Neil abour reprints) For collets I use MT 3 collets. The only thing to look out for is some use a 3/8 draw bolt and some imports use 12mm.
Hope this helps,

Rob