PDA

View Full Version : Katrina: How to donate resources?

Your Old Dog
09-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Anybody know if there is a way to donate weird resources to the effort.

Example: I have three bedrooms available and an amateur machine shop with barn. We would be a decent fit for a white family with 2 children about 8-13 years old and a dad who might be enterprising enough to machine products for eBaying for extra income. We also have small projects around our home that a couple of 60yr olds are having trouble getting done. In other words, room and board for someone trying to get back on their feet and enough easy chores to make'em feel it ain't all charity.

How the hell would you put word out of the availability of our resource? This would be a bit of a struggle but easier with a cultural fit in our community.

If anyone knows of any website where this type thing can be listed please let me know. All I can find is cash donation places.

Alistair Hosie
09-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Why would they have to be white???Alistair

webbch
09-03-2005, 11:37 AM
YOD,

You're far more generous than I. Offering to let people live in your house is one thing, but allowing them to use your shop equipment? That is true generosity :-)

Chad

mochinist
09-03-2005, 11:42 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
Why would they have to be white???Alistair</font>

The blacks scare whitey.

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm sure all of you RC/Model Airplane AMA members have already gotten this, but I thougt it was interesting for others to see:

AMA Members Helping Members

As the tragic events along the Gulf Coast unfold,
it has become painfully apparent that the number
of refugees from Hurricane Katrina is enormous.
It is not unreasonable to estimate that there
will be half a million or more homeless Americans
for many months to come.

Among them, unfortunately, are an unknown number
of AMA members. Based on the information at hand,
we at AMA estimate that as many as 1,500 members
could be in dire need of help. These are areas in
which the U.S. Postal Service has suspended
service because its facilities have been severely
damaged or even obliterated by the storm. While
many Federal and State agencies are doing all
that they can, the magnitude of this disaster
means that we all need to do our part.

AMA is establishing a program to try to help
those members in need by matching them with
someone who can help. If youre in a position to
provide temporary shelter, assist with
transportation needs, or just help a fellow
modeler find his or her way back to a normal
life, call our toll-free Hurricane Katrina
Modeler Assistance Hotline at (866) 286-3302.
Our staff will take your name and some key
information and try to match you with someone
in need.

Many of us have an extra room, perhaps a spare
car, or some other piece of equipment thats
sitting around and could be put to good use
during this time of unbelievable tragedy. I have
volunteered space in my own home to assist this
effort and I hope many of you will consider
doing the same.

You can also register by going directly to AMAs
Web site at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/katrina/?section=register
and completing a simple form. Thats all it takes.
Its only a simple telephone call or Web site
registration, yet that simple act can have a
dramatic impact on someones life during this
critical period.

Aeromodelers are a brotherhood, and many of our
brothers need your help. Lets all pitch in and
help these people who have suffered an
unbelievable loss get back on their feet as
quickly as possible. Its the right thing to do
and it is something we can all do to aid the
recovery process.

If you are a member who has been displaced by
this disaster, or know a member who is in need
of this type of help, you can use the same
toll-free number to request help. AMA and your
fellow members are standing by, anxious, and
willing to help.

Remember(866) 286-3302 or use our Web site at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/katrina/?section=register
to volunteer assistance.

If you happen to be reading this and you need help,
you can go to our Web site at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/katrina/?section=request
to make your request.

Dave Brown
AMA President

lynnl
09-03-2005, 11:57 AM
I could see that coming.

Alistair, I can understand your question, but your's is a different world. I don't know how much CNN or other such TV coverage you see over there.
But it becomes immediately obvious when viewing the TV coverage of the chaos and looting, that's said to be rampant down there, that it's primarily (almost totally) confined to the non-white sector. I keep looking for a white face in those crowds and haven't seen one yet, other than what appear to be police or some other such authority figure.

Now, before all the howls of protest set in, I, and any reasonable person will, realize that within that group of people it's only a small minority that are commiting the acts of violence and looting. I also realize that in other areas not in camera coverage there are probably some whites looting as well. But if it were rampant you can bet CNN would be johnny-on-the-spot to report it. This is sad, but it is reality nevertheless.

So..., it's only reasonable one would want to be somewhat selective in taking in an unknown family. It's a form of profiling, ...something we all do subconciously all our lives, and it serves us well. Those who don't pick their friends and close relationships judiciously often live (or, in extreme cases, die) to regret it.

But back to the topic, I agree YOD, I'm here in Nth Ala with three extra bedrooms and I'd be extremely happy to take in some needy family. I think almost all of us feel a keen sense of 'need' to provide help in times like this. Call it spiritual, or compassion, or whatever. It does us great psychological good when we can help. We just feel better about ourselves.

Surely this idea has ocurred to some of the relief agency people. I can't understand why they don't set up some sort of placement services to faciltate such as this.

If any of you know of a displaced family or couple from the Mobile, or S. MS or LA area needing a place to stay, contact me. As I said, I'd feel good about helping.

KENZ
09-03-2005, 12:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
Anybody know if there is a way to donate weird resources to the effort.

Example: I have three bedrooms available and an amateur machine shop with barn. We would be a decent fit for a white family with 2 children about 8-13 years old and a dad who might be enterprising enough to machine products for eBaying for extra income. We also have small projects around our home that a couple of 60yr olds are having trouble getting done. In other words, room and board for someone trying to get back on their feet and enough easy chores to make'em feel it ain't all charity.

How the hell would you put word out of the availability of our resource? This would be a bit of a struggle but easier with a cultural fit in our community.

If anyone knows of any website where this type thing can be listed please let me know. All I can find is cash donation places.</font>

Hey YOD,

I saw a blip on the news late last night about somebody that did what you want to do. A young couple in Louisiana had just bought a house 2 days before the storm and hadn't really even gotten move in yet. They took in a whole family. It was pretty dang nice to see something positive on the tube for once.

I think the couple contacted the the local news in their area to let them know what they wanted to do.

mochinist
09-03-2005, 12:52 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:
I could see that coming.

Alistair, I can understand your question, but your's is a different world. I don't know how much CNN or other such TV coverage you see over there.
But it becomes immediately obvious when viewing the TV coverage of the chaos and looting, that's said to be rampant down there, that it's primarily (almost totally) confined to the non-white sector. I keep looking for a white face in those crowds and haven't seen one yet, other than what appear to be police or some other such authority figure.

Now, before all the howls of protest set in, I, and any reasonable person will, realize that within that group of people it's only a small minority that are commiting the acts of violence and looting. I also realize that in other areas not in camera coverage there are probably some whites looting as well. But if it were rampant you can bet CNN would be johnny-on-the-spot to report it. This is sad, but it is reality nevertheless.

So..., it's only reasonable one would want to be somewhat selective in taking in an unknown family. It's a form of profiling, ...something we all do subconciously all our lives, and it serves us well. Those who don't pick their friends and close relationships judiciously often live (or, in extreme cases, die) to regret it.</font>

Black people loot, white people find
http://www.boingboing.net/images/finding-looting.jpg
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/30/black_people_loot_wh.html
two similar news photos that show flood victims in New Orleans wading in chest-deep water. In each, a person appears to be dragging a bag or box or two of food or beverages.

The images were shot by different photographers, and captioned by different photo wire services. The Associated Press caption accompanying the image with a black person says he's just finished "looting" a grocery store. The AFP/Getty Images caption describes lighter skinned people "finding" bread and soda from a grocery store. No stores are open to sell these goods.

Perhaps there's more factual substantiation behind each copywriter's choice of words than we know. But to some, the difference in tone suggests racial bias, implicit or otherwise.

Your Old Dog
09-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I suspected the question would come up. This is the best way I can answer it, I don't care if you agree with it or not but it's my answer just the same.

These folks, black and white, have been thru hell. I live in the middle of farm country. That means our schools have children of farmers in them. To the best of my knowledge there are no black farmers in my area. I don't want the added strain of not only living together for God knows how long but also dealing with kids coming home from school telling stories we can't deal with given everything else we're dealing with. The gas station down the road hired a young black girl to help at the register. She lasted about a week. She received a chilled responce from the area. This is a white conservative neighborhood with human frailities not unlike the black liberal neighborhoods in the city. To make this work I'll have to rely on some help from the locals such as jobs.

This is our home, not a proving ground for social science. My guess is the blacks in our area are just as good as we and will be making their own offers. I hope any who take us up on this offer are good folks and not racist. This is not a racist household. My Mother was Puerto Rican and my Father was Scotch. That's my pedigree to make this request.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-03-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Regardless of skin color, I consider someone looting if they take something from the store that they normally could not afford, vs. someone taking something from a store that could/would pay for it, but obviously nobody is there to take their money.

IMO, When you need something and there is no way to get it becides taking it, you have to just take it and figure out a way to pay for it later.

-Adrian

lynnl
09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
When I speak of looting in circumstances like this, I'm not including items essential to life and well being. When it comes to taking food and health items for survival I do NOT criticise anyone (black, white, brown, chartruese, green or cumquat). I'd do the same. And I'd harbor no ill will toward those who did even if it were my stuff taken (ie as a store/shop owner).

I'm referring to stealing TV's, electronics items, and all that kind of stuff just because you can get away with it. Even more despicable than the theft itself is the diversion of the social resources that could otherwise be effectively directed to the good of all of the other victims in need.

Evan
09-03-2005, 02:59 PM
For what it is worth YOD, I totally understand and agree with you. I say this as someone who has a black stepfather that I greatly respect for how he selflessly looked after my late grandmother in the last years of her life.

You do what you can but you can't afford to let it cause major problems for your family because of the attitudes of the people around you.

Your Old Dog
09-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Thank you Evan. My Mother was not well received by my Fathers family for a good many years. I've lived thru this once.

I feel we have a lot to offer if we can find a good fit and I think we can if we can find some God fearing folks who aren't racist.

3Phase, thanks a million, just exactly what I was looking for. What a tremendous resource this HSM board is.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-03-2005).]

Alistair Hosie
09-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Am I correct, in your response you seem to be saying I would be willing to take Blacks but my neighbours would not allow me to,as they are very prejudiced.Seems to me that that kind of threat from your neighbours is very sad in this day and age.However as said I live in a different world.I am sorry to hear this .Alistair

IOWOLF
09-03-2005, 05:45 PM
I to live in DOGs world , I'm not proud of it but it is a place to live. Am I racist? No more than some no less than others, and we all are to some extent, don't make me call you a lyer. LOL

------------------
The tame Wolf !

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 09-03-2005).]

CCWKen
09-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Racist? No that's not being racist. That's being a Bigot!

Keep your home and your farm-boy attitude. Texas has opened the door to over 75,000 and the number keeps going up. It's expected to hit 250,000 by Monday. If we can handle 5 million illegal immigrants per year, surely we can care for one million AMERICANS.

Your Old Dog
09-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Alistar, yes, that's the reality I live with.

CCWken, you think it would be better for me to take on this one horse town? Fly in the face of popular convention and see if we can tough it out. You do it. I've done all the fighting I care to do. As I said before, this is my home, not a social science experiment. I'm looking for my best odds at success here and nothing else. Is there a problem with helping people other then black? They need help too. You may be a good machinist but in my opinion you don't know squat about human nature.

CCWKen
09-03-2005, 08:22 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">CCWken, you think it would be better for me to take on this one horse town? Fly in the face of popular convention and see if we can tough it out.</font>

No, I don't. Keep quiet and don't do/say anything. That would be better than PRETENDING to be compassionate. By the way, I'm a piss-poor machinist compared to what I know about people.

Evan
09-03-2005, 08:32 PM
There is idealism, which together with a couple of dollars will buy you a cup of coffee. Then there is realism. That will keep your ass out of a sling. I have lived in some pretty nasty places including Oakland, Hell's Kitchen in NYC, Los Angeles, and a few others. Unless you are living on some mountain in the middle of nowhere you have to deal with the people around you. I don't think YOD is racist but he is a realist. Big difference.

All the bleeding heart liberal whingers can take a flying leap. I judge people by their actions, not their appearance. However, this isn't the case with everyone and I have to live with them too. I'm not moving to Mars anytime soon.

Segregation in the US isn't dead and gone, not by a long shot. Both sides of the racial fence practice it to the max. Liberal policies like "equal opportunity" and "college enrollment quotas" have contributed a lot to the decline of the USA. It prevents people from reaching thier full potential because the law says that you must have a certain proportion of each skin type employed in your organization if you want a federal contract. It's discrimination at it's worst.

Every successful black person that I know, including my close friend and neighbour who is a doctor, has said that they did not encounter any significant barriers to achieving their goals. The problems that black americans face are similar to those of the native indians in Canada. They are of their own making and they perpetuate thier condition themselves.

If they get off their ass and get an education and a job they can make it. There are plenty who have. Trash is trash, white or black.

Hot&CoaledForge
09-03-2005, 09:19 PM
You mention Texas taking in evacuees, CCWKen, but you didn't say if you personally were opening your home to a stranger in need.

Arkansas is taking in folks as well, and with all due respect to my state and yours, I'm sure both will receive plenty of $$$ from FEMA for their compassion.

YOD is offering to open his home, and I feel he is being compassionate by keeping in mind how the family will be received by the community.

Alistair Hosie
09-04-2005, 07:36 AM
YOD I apreciate your prdicament and I admire you for being so honest about your feelings. I don't pretend to uinderstand the small town mentality in general but those things don't happen here yes there is racism here plenty of it, but nobody seems to bother what their neighbour thinks and is not under that kind of pressure to comply.God Bless and keep being a kind man as I see clearly you are.Alistair

Your Old Dog
09-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Alistair, if I was able to deal with the sh_t from the neighborhood that would be one thing. I've lived here two years this month. But having house guest here under these horrendous circumstances and then have them getting poor treatment would be an entirely differant matter.

And Alistair, I don't feel like a kind man. I'm feeling a little guilty becuase I've faced no tragedy in my life accept a financial one and we came back from that with a some effort. My reason's for offering help are a little selfish. It's been a good life and it's time to anti up. I don't have it in me to counsel weeping family from the problems of the day. I got some issues of my own to deal with, as well as three spare bedrooms.

Alistair Hosie
09-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Don't feel guilty why you are doing good in the best way you can at the moment that is not a reason to feel guilty.I genuinely don't understand the pressure you are under as we live here by slightly different rules but I can understand why you have worked within the limitations and the boundaries set by your neighbours in order to do most good without putting your own family in harms way that is perfectly obvious and anyone in your shoes would probably do exqactly the same thing you are doing as long as they had your commitment to help that is why I call you kind and stick by that terminology regards Alistair

Jpfalt
09-05-2005, 02:38 AM
SME MEMBERS URGED TO CONTRIBUTE TOWARD HURRICANE DISASTER RELIEF

**** List Your Organization's Available Goods, Services to Donate/Sell
at National Emergency Resource Registry ****

The Society of Manufacturing Engineers shares in the sadness of those
who are affected by Hurricane Katrina, which has caused widespread
destruction along the United States Gulf Coast. Although the eye of
the hurricane has passed, hazards from weakened and damaged trees,
downed power lines, high water and other dangers remain, and a very
long recovery and rebuilding period lies ahead.

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the
priority at this time is to meet the immediate life saving and life
sustaining needs of victims in the impacted areas. FEMA, along with
other federal partners and state governments, is coordinating a
massive mobilization of resources for urban search and rescue efforts,
housing, food and medical care. A comprehensive recovery strategy is
being activated, to restore electric power, repair transportation
infrastructure, restart energy production, and provide long-term
housing for displaced families.

Throughout the nation, people, companies, and organizations are
looking within, to identify what they can contribute toward the relief
effort. For companies, in particular, it is confusing in these early
stages of the recovery period to know how/when/where to notify
authorities of what they have to offer. To meet this need, the U.S.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has activated the Homeland
Security Information Network (HSIN) in an effort to expedite response
efforts and save lives.

SME members and their companies are encouraged to log on to HSIN at
http://www.swern.gov, and access the National Emergency Resource
Registry (NERR) by clicking on the link in the upper right corner of
the page. The NERR -- via the HSIN-CI Program -- stands ready to
assist the coordination efforts between the resources that are needed
and the resources that may be available from the private and public
sectors. Once registered, this resource allows HSIN-CI members, as
well as the general public, to submit information about resources that
may be used to support on-the-ground recovery efforts.

This is a secure, official U.S. Government system to facilitate the
marrying of capabilities and supplies with needs. The highest priority
needs are for fuel, water, emergency supplies, housing,
transportation, and infrastructure support items.

IF YOU OR YOUR ORGANIZATION HAVE RESOURCES -- WHETHER GRATIS OR FOR A
FEE -- THAT MAY BE MADE AVAILABLE TO THE RESPONSE AGENCIES, PLEASE
LIST THEM IN THIS RESOURCE REGISTRY.

In addition, the American Red Cross, www.redcross.org, (http://www.redcross.org,) and the
Salvation Army, http://www.salvationarmyusa.org, are accepting relief
contributions at their Web sites. Also, http://www.moveon.org has
launched an emergency national housing drive to connect your empty
beds with hurricane victims who desperately need a place to stay. You
can post your offer of housing (a spare room, extra bed, even a decent
couch) and search for available housing online at
http://www.hurricanehousing.org. Housing is most urgently needed
within reasonable driving distance (about 300 miles) of the affected
areas in the Southeast, especially New Orleans.

Thank you for your swift response to this emergency request.

Your Old Dog
09-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I don't know how you guys do it but thanks again.

Jpfalt, thanks again, I'll list with this one also. BTW upon reading their guidelines they seem to think a "good fit" is important when making these home offers. I'm feeling a little better having read that.

Your Old Dog
09-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Not beating a dead horse, just a heads up.

I received the following email from one of the 4 sites I listed our home with. This one is sponsored by moveon.org. If anyone else reading this has made an offer to help be advised of residency requirements in your state. In a good many states you could have house guest forever if you get the wrong fit.

Dear HurricaneHousing.org volunteer host:

Thank you again for your generous offer of shelter in this time of extraordinary need. So far, we estimate 17,000 people have found shelter through our site, but expect that in the weeks to come, many more will come looking. If you haven’t yet heard from evacuees, you may well soon.

We also wanted to bring one issue to your attention:

Several people have contacted us to point out that residency laws vary greatly from state to state and locale to locale, and in some places, could make things complicated if your guests refused to leave your house (however improbable that might be). MoveOn is not familiar with the residency laws in each state. If you have any questions regarding the legal implications of providing housing, you should talk with a lawyer in your state.

We do have two common sense suggestions though.

1) 1) Although you posted a limit on how long people can stay when you signed up, you should be clear from the start with any evacuees you shelter about how long they may stay.

2) We also recommend asking them to sign something acknowledging that they are your guest and promising to leave whenever you request it. The agreement should also cover any obligations you may be undertaking, such as providing food, and any obligations that your guests are undertaking, such as helping with the household chores. We’ve provided a sample agreement here:

http://www.hurricanehousing.org/agreement.html

If for whatever reason you need to rescind your offer to house evacuees – or if you’ve already filled it – please take down your posting by clicking here:

***url removed for this post***

We’ll continue to keep you up to date, and apprised of any important issues related to housing evacuees. Again, thank you for your amazing generosity. It’s making a difference, as we know from testimonials we’ve received, like this one from Dara:

“It worked! I found a place, it was a miracle, the guy renting [my host’s] apartment was moving and I have 30 days to stay here. That gives me time to find a job and more permanent housing. He also hooked me up with a job working at his bar… I can’t tell you how grateful I am to people like him and others who responded and opened their homes to me.”

Sincerely,

–Noah T. Winer and the whole MoveOn.org Civic Action team
Friday, September 9th, 2005