PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard from Weirdscience, Darin?

ibewgypsie
08-31-2005, 08:00 PM
I tried to get his phone number from his address. His emails are undeliverable to him so the server and probably all the phones are out.

He is/was right in the main path of the hurricane to the east of New Orleans right on the gulf.

If anyone hears from him, email me please.

torker
08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
David...I've been trying to track him down as well. There is no phone number listed for him in his town. It's hard to find info on his town but it doesn't look good. The little that I can find says that his town was destroyed.
I've found literally hundreds and hundreds of people looking for information about relatives etc. in his area.
It seems that all phones etc. are out in his area as well.
I really hope he got out of there before the storm hit.
Getting worried about him now.
Russ

BillH
08-31-2005, 08:18 PM
I hope you made it out ok Wierd, cant wait to hear from you.

CCWKen
08-31-2005, 09:10 PM
My cousin in East Central MS says they got high winds, downed trees and a ton of rain. My aunt's phone was out until just this evening. I suspect there's lots of folks that still don't have electric and/or phone service.

Darin is level headed. He'll take care of what needs his attention before getting back on the web. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Joel
08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
I haven’t been able to reach him either.
I’m sure he is busily ‘taking care of business’ right now. He will let us know that he is alright as soon as he can. Could be awhile though…

Norman Atkinson
09-01-2005, 03:30 AM
Hi David- and the rest of you worried folks over there.

We, in the UK, are getting news broadcasts indicating that most phone transmission masts are down- and that power supplies are cut in many places.

There is an old adage which says
"No news is good news" and I hope and pray that this will be true.

There is a posting- now blocked- about help not coming from countries which the Us has helped in the past.

It is important to record that on that fateful 9-11, the first money to help in the relief work was from the Freemasons of England. I'm a bit out touch with present things but that's the way that some of us regard you our cousins.

My thoughts- and those of the many millions of Limey Bastards- are with you!

Norman

Your Old Dog
09-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Norman, Hiram's got a lot of friends! As do the other folks on this board who aren't on today but here just the same.

andypullen
09-01-2005, 07:16 AM
We all thank you Limeys for your continued support.

I, also am concerned about Wierd. I agree, he's a levelheaded guy and he'll come out of this ok.

We can all say a prayer for the people of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

Andy Pullen

thistle
09-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Having been through a hurricane ,2 years ago,and then my brother going through the Cayman hurricane last year I can say that
really the only thing you can do is sit back and wait, and hope for some good news.

The cell systems start failing during the storm as towers and power is lost,the subsequant increase in traffic then overloads systems.(Ifthe phone stayed dry)with no power -you cannot charge the phone
so it is soon useless.
Land lines also may be down .Usually all this means no internet as well.

My experiance was that I was too busy digging my family and friends out ,and then
attending to the search and rescue phase to even think about contacting any one .Non stop work for about 7 days .Only relief was when it rained then off came the clothes out came the bar of soap- will spare you the pictures.
Lets hope for the best.

ibewgypsie
09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
What I am worried about? Darin is a big man. Big men have a problem about staying and fighting when they should tuck thier tail and run.

My opinion. I'm still worried about him. I like him, He went out of his way to "more than settle up" for some items I sent him. Honest and straight forward.

Norman Atkinson
09-01-2005, 04:39 PM
David,
Just been seeing more footage from BBC correspondents on our own News at Ten.

Raping Babies and Women.

And- there is another Hurricane building up.

Remember -this is the British headlines.
We do care.

Good Night- and may God Bless you and keep you safe.

Norman

Al Messer
09-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Many thanks, Norman for your concern and prayers. Many people simply have not grasped the affected area that was either flattened or flooded--90,000 square miles! That would just about be the entire British Isles, would it not? Also, many people have not grasped the magnitude of the damage done to the roads and highways that connect New Orleans to the rest of the outside world--most of them were either totally destroyed or extensively damaged. The I-10 bridge/causeway that led into the city is no more as best as I can tell from aerial photos. It is a tragedy of super-sized proportions!

madman
09-02-2005, 10:12 PM
I wish him the very best also. I was watching the news and the horror of it all is absolutely frightening.

decoy91288
09-02-2005, 11:20 PM
This thing has killed tens of thousands. I am teaching full time again - was just subbing for grins, giggles, and a little cash but we have enrolled over 100 new students in the school I work at in NW Lousisiana. We are told to expect up to 500 more -- doubling our enrollment. All the state park camp grounds are full of refugees and they are being told to expect to never return. Every district in the state has sent school busses to help transport folk from NO. Our district also sent all the police officers assigned to the schools as armed guards on those busses. They may be transporting prisoners also. Someone in another thread tried to pin this on our current governer. BS -- she is the closest thing Louisiana has had to a honest politician in 140 years. The extent of devastation is beyond what ANYONE could fully understand. Yes, a few scientists and early heads of FEMA (when it was still run by science/meteorology types came close. But the reality is beyond what any of those photos can convey.

Pray for our brothers and sisters. Pray for yourself too. This will be with us for decades.

BillH
09-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Jefferson Parissh all under water? I probably dont even need to ask.
Just think about it, all those people that stayed, thought they would ride it out. Lost power, no telephone. Decided to go to bed. Had no idea that the levee's broke, either woke up in water, or woke up gulping in water. I think your right, many, many people probably died. Any of you know where the D-day museum is on any of those satelite images?

rockrat
09-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Yep, I'm a bit worried as well. Weird has always had good things to contribute. I hope we hear from him soon.

If he comes to Ohio for some odd reason, he can always use our spare room.

Good luck Weird, where ever you are. We miss ya buddy.
rock-

John Stevenson
09-03-2005, 01:34 PM
We can put a couple up here as well but might not be as easy as some of the others who offered.
Last time I checked the Atlantic was as bad as NO. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

John S.

torker
09-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Still no Darin but the best update I can give you...
His town was NOT destroyed as early reports I found stated.
There is a lot of trees knocked over and some buildings where badly damaged.
There have been no storm related deaths from the storm where he lives...as of today anyway!
The power is still on in some parts of town but on the outskirts and beyond, there is no power or phones. There is no gas available. Some stations still have gas but no power to pump it out.
NOTE...This is not gospel...it is the only real info I can find and it came from the cities website.
Here's hopin that weird is just helping out to clean up the mess and will be back on line soon!
Russ

CCWKen
09-06-2005, 11:45 PM
There's a large area of Mississippi affected. Here's a map the USPS put out of affected services. Lots of areas have limited service. That could mean a number of things--From flooded roads to no power.

http://www.usps.com/communications/news/serviceupdates/090605map2.gif

torker
09-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks for that Ken!
Just another update of sorts.
I still haven't contacted weird or heard anything of him.
I have notices on a couple of blog message sites from his area.
I found a contact from his city government who I'm hoping will try to find out what's become of him.
I'm sure he's alright but he's going to be needing help of some kind sooner than later so that's what I'm trying to do.
I owe him. Out of the blue(some time ago) he asked me if I wanted him to send me a couple of HSM magazines. When the little package arrived...it was a big box with a whole bunch of stuff he sent. I sent him the postage....now I want to do him a similar favour.
I'f I'm going to give to this deal I'd just as soon give it to one of the HSM guys...
Russ

G.A. Ewen
09-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Anyone know the name of the town that Darin lives in?

torker
09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
GA...check your mail

hoffman
09-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I would like to hear from him...

CCWKen
09-12-2005, 05:31 PM
I just got a quick note in the mail from Darin today. He and his family are ok! This is the just of the note:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Kinda busy with the storm right now. Electric at home is 2-3 weeks out yet. House & shop made it okay with little damage.

Had to clear 57 trees off our road just to get out after the storm. Trees tore up all over. If you could, please let the guys on the BBS know all is well.

It might be a while before I get to post again, lights out at home.

Many Thanks,
Darin</font>