PDA

View Full Version : Fresh from the deep...

hoffman
09-10-2005, 10:07 PM
The first catch is a lunker:
http://images.andale.com/f2/129/111/8188590/1126799156968_weld_005.jpg
AC/DC with high frequency, remote current control and water solenoid. I fired it up and it seems to work OK. I'm waiting on a torch in the mail and scrounging for a pot for the foot control. It goes from 2-300 amps. I've always wanted to weld aluminum and this should do it...

http://images.andale.com/f2/129/111/8188590/1126368122684_weld_004.jpg
This is a pretty cool little drill sharpener. I usually sharpen drills by hand but have been looking at Drill Docs. This thing works like a champ. Just looks like a turd...

I love it when folks post "strays" so I thought I'd show some of mine. Jacobs rubber flex chuck for the SB came in today too! All the collets and in great shape.

------------------
Deep Sea Tool Salvage

jimmstruk
09-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Beautiful!!! Both pieces!!!! JIM

darryl
09-11-2005, 03:15 AM
I'm gonna be a little tired when I get home tonite, I'm thinking, as I make my way around yet another shapeless mass of underwater growth. Haven't seen a straight line or a uniform curve for over an hour now. Just a few more minutes and I'll surface and make my way home.

Yeah, I said that to myself a half hour ago, and I'm still down here. That old sunken boat was so badly damaged I passed it by. Going home empty handed this time, I thought. A shadow passed quietly by me and at first I didn't check it out. Then I saw it again. A shock went through me as I realized I wasn't alone. Looking around quickly I saw it. Shark! I froze for a moment, hardly breathing. Gathering my wits about me, I started to slowly back away. It knew I was there, but it didn't seem interested in me. Something on the bottom had captured it's attention. I couldn't see what it was, but then the shark seemed to lose interest in both me and the object. Before long it was gone. With my heart racing, I went over to see what it had been looking at. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary at first, but then I saw it! A rounded corner- A round corner with a flat panel, couldn't see much else. I started to clear around it, then I saw a letter- I- then a D- I had to wait for the murk to clear before I could see anything more. I was going to run out of air soon, and I knew I didn't have more than a few minutes more before I'd have to surface. Gently stirring away a little more, I saw a few more letters, E, then A, - it looked like there was a power socket above the lettering. Now I'm excited, an actual find! This was a metal box of some kind, with an idea on it!

I'm excited, and now my air is almost gone. I quickly attached my hook into the opening in the side of the box, and up I went, playing out the cable as I rose to the surface.

I wasn't that far from my boat, but the cable wasn't long enough to reach, so I had to leave it on an air bag. It was almost dark when I got back with the boat, but it was no problem to hook up the winch and try to raise this thing. Hmm. A groan from the winch, then a bit of give. Another groan- this thing whatever it is is heavy. It's raising it though. I got it up to the boat, but it was too dark to see properly and I decided to just head for shore with the box still in the water. At the dock I couldn't see to do anything with it, so I just lowered it until the cable got slack, tied up and went home.

I thought I'd wait till morning to go back and find out what I had on the line. But I was too excited to wait. A guick kraft dinner later I called up my buddy. Case of beer in his hands and he was willing to help me do some night fishing at the dock. With his boom and winch it was a simple matter to retrieve the box and land it on the flat deck. A few wires trailed off the deck and there was another much smaller box of some kind dangling there. Looked like a battery charger or something. I threw it up onto the deck, then with flashlight in hand, I wiped away enough muck from the big box to read the word IDEALARC. Yeah, that is a power socket there- clearing away more muck I see LINCOLN- hey! this is a welder! Score another one for Hoffman!

bobbybeef
09-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Darryl,
What in the name of all thats known are you doing swimming around in the deep end. You should be writing for TV or Hollywood.
Good stuff now tell us about the mermaids or the bars of gold.
bobby. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Norman Atkinson
09-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Did the ad say " Also available painted"?

Is this what you find when you let go of the chain and taps in the bath?

Wow?

Norman

hoffman
09-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Whoaa darryl! You really need to get out more http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

No sharks but I did have to fend off a school of barracudas with a ball peen hammer while raising my lathe http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Deep Sea Tool Salvage

darryl
09-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I need to get out of here for awhile. A canoe trip maybe. Or two canoes- lash them together, put a winch between, get a snorkel, an underwater metal detector-