PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over...What Would You Buy?

Too_Many_Tools
09-11-2005, 11:35 AM
After watching the still unfolding diaster along the Gulf coast, I can't help but think of all the workshops that were destroyed.

All the tools and the effort that was expended to get them in the first place...such a waste. It has taken me decades to find and buy the quality and quantity of tools that I have. To replace them in a reasonable timeframe and cost is impossible...and I am sure this applies to many readers here.

Now if you were in the situation to HAVE to start over to rebuild your shop...what would you buy, where and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that those who have been affected by a loss will appreciate.

TMT

ted crivea
09-11-2005, 12:09 PM
I am still cleaning up & going thur my stuff.
I live in Bayou Batre Alamaba .I lost my Lathe Mill Drill press Band saw
all of the tooling 3 cars washer dryer and tons of other stuff We built this house and moved in 3 days before Ivan last year , No I am not going to move will clean up and go on.

Michael Az
09-11-2005, 12:38 PM
I doubt I could even think about starting over at my age {59}. Maybe another important question many of us have to live with is knowing our homeowners isn't going to cover the loss, unless we have a rider to cover it. I worry about this all the time. I pay out so much now in insurance I don't even want to think about a rider on my policy. I would imagine it would take $50,000 to replace my tools.
Michael

BillH
09-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Probably a Nikon D70s with a very nice macro lense, and sb600 speed light.

QSIMDO
09-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Stock in Microsoft.

Mcgyver
09-11-2005, 06:16 PM
what you end up with is some algorithm of time, energy and money. Would any home shop person go and buy a new Starrett master precision level or brand name gauge blocks? Probably not so ending up with that stuff is the product of a tiny bit of money and pouncing on opportunities as they present themselves over a long period of time.

If I had to do it again, I think I would be less frugal and just buy whatever the hell I wanted if I could afford it. My shop’s good now, but its grown with my knowledge and ability. I’d not want to wait 10 years to get it to the same place on the same budget if I had to start over – it would be too frustrating

last car i bought my wife was like 55k and 4 years later its just a piece s**t. yet i sawsaw for years on spending 2500 on a tig that'll last a lifetime. stupid really but being frugal's part of the home shop culture i guess.

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 09-11-2005).]

IOWOLF
09-11-2005, 06:34 PM
A bigger building, much bigger.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

John Stevenson
09-11-2005, 06:44 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mcgyver:

last car i bought my wife was like 55k and 4 years later its just a piece s**t. </font>

55K ?
Why does your wife want to drive round in a semi ?

John S.

IOWOLF
09-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Insert a cute comment here.

Iquithadenuff
09-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Probably to haul his chink **** home

Mcgyver
09-11-2005, 07:08 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
55K ?
Why does your wife want to drive round in a semi ?

John S.

</font>

just about, it was a suburban, used mostly to haul around the 4 kids, oh yeah, 55k cdn http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

SGW
09-12-2005, 08:55 AM
If I had to start over...I might take the opportunity to downsize the scale of my operations, to smaller machine tools. The idea of "someday" having to clean out this house is already getting to be overwhelming even though that day is (hopefully) well in the future. It would be a lot easier with a Sherline-size shop.

But maybe I wouldn't. It sure is handy to have the size machines I've got.

madman
09-12-2005, 12:15 PM
If i had to start over it would be a 450 square foot house with a 3000 square foot basement. The Bunker Shop.

gizmo2
09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Ted, your family/friends/pets come through it ok? I've got a buddy in Slidell, lost it all. Ma Nature sure knows how to lay down a 'bitch slap' when she takes a notion, huh? Did your machine tools wash away or disappear in the muck?

Now to answer the post: I'd get some clean underwear and maybe a haircut and shave for starters. Then I'd have to do some real serious head scratching about the next step. Getting pretty old to start all over again, might want to reduce the tonnage the next time around! Maybe just get the hand tools, take some tech courses, learn some new skills, and use someone elses machines for awhile.