PDA

View Full Version : DirectX A little help from the Computer Guru's

Tinkerer
09-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok I need to load a CAD program and it requires DirectX 9c to work. Every time I download the file from MS I get a error that a required file did not load and it fails. I've tried from a few other sites as well same thing. I'm starting to think that maybe my box never had the thing to begin with and therefor can not upgrade. I have a HP pavilion 360n. running XP home. I've thought about downloading the the development file but I'm not quite sure what it's all about and where to install the program. I do not think it's a self extracting file and being that I'm not that savvy with this thing I'd hate to fudge it up beyond use. Really could use some help on getting the application installed and running.

Thanks Tim

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Just do a google search for: DirectX 9.0c install problems.

Evan
09-11-2005, 03:37 AM
Tim,

If you haven't already then update to Service Pack 2 from Windows Update. It contains DirectX 9.0c. This isn't a real option though if you are on dialup as it is around 60 to 100 megabytes.

You can tell if you have SP2 when the computer boots. If the little crawler thing during the boot is green then you don't. If it is blue then you should already have DirectX 9.0c.

SJorgensen
09-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Go to the "Start" button then "Run" then type "dxdiag" and enter. You should be able to see what version you are running and verify it is working right with your components.

Also I agree with Even. You should have service pack 2. There isn't much you can do with windows except to keep patching all the security flaws. It has a pop-up blocker that is pretty useful too.

Tinkerer
09-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks All... I downloaded the SP2 sometime ago but for some reason it did not install. So I have the program up and running. Now the fun part learning the in's and out's of it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif