PDA

View Full Version : axle resplining

Demon440
10-18-2002, 02:19 PM
How is axle resplining done? What machines can do it? I have been thinking of many ways it "could" be done, but how is it done?

Rotate
10-18-2002, 02:47 PM
What do you mean resplining? Are you reparing damaged spline or would like to machine a new one?

Albert

Demon440
10-18-2002, 02:51 PM
machine new ones.
What I need to do is cut the axles shorter and respline them.

Al Messer
10-18-2002, 11:11 PM
I assume you are narrowing a rear end for a vehicle. Would you tell us what kind of hot rod that you are building?? I haven't heard of anyone doing that since I got out of Machinist school. Good Luck!!

Al

Sprocket
10-19-2002, 12:55 AM
Look at "Milling Splines" this forum, Oct 10 and John Stevenson's pictures. They are certainly worth more than a thousand words!

Sprocket
10-19-2002, 12:55 AM
Look at "Milling Splines" this forum, Oct 10 and John Stevenson's pictures. They are certainly worth more than a thousand words!

WJHartson
10-19-2002, 09:11 PM
Normally the splined section of an axle has a larger diameter than the shaft. The shaft is tapered and larger at the splined end. The splines are also case hardened. If you are building a hot rod and narrowing the rearend I would go to Strange or other aftermarket manufacturer of axles and have them make them for you. They can also give you information on number of splines needed for your application based on horsepower and other criteria.

cijuanni
10-21-2002, 08:11 PM
Demon 440
I have had several sets of stock axles resplined for Dana 44 and 60 axles. The material is pretty tough I don't think you will have much luck with HSS bits. Heat treating makes the shaft have an outer skin so you don't want to reduce the diameter too much. I used Moser Engineering in Porland, Indiana at $80 a pair. I have been happy with their work, the exception is in a 4wd front axle application. Moser turns down the shaft where the seal rides. The surface finish really needs to be ground or it eats seals. Now I have them leave it oversize and use a toolpost grinder to finish.
Bottom line is unless you are willing to invest alot in carbide tooling to cut the splines you better farming it out.
Doug