PDA

View Full Version : distance makes the heart grow fander

hobbycraft
10-20-2002, 04:34 PM
I bid on a machine and won. I did not realize it was 1100 miles away. Now, I am getting ready for a road trip. Modifying the small trailer for 4000# ( the Leblonde 13 x 54 lathe weighs 2600. ) Does anyone have a line on a hauler that might do it for 3 to 400. ? I haven't seen the machine yet. It is old, but I like the old american machines with real cast/steel parts! I have a Bridgeport and a 10 inch Logan lathe in the basement. Also I am referbishing a Boyer Shultz 6 - 12 S. grinder. new member Paul

WJHartson
10-21-2002, 04:09 AM
You didn't say where the machine is located. You might check with local hot shot drivers and see if any are delivering in the area where the the machine is located. If they are running empty on the return trip they might be willing to pick it up.

Al Messer
10-21-2002, 08:38 AM
Good idea! Your local truck stop probably has a "broker" that would handle the arrangements for you.

hobbycraft
10-21-2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the ideas. The pickup would be Lincoln ,Neb. The delivery would be Va. I have a 30 ft. trailer and a one ton Chevy truck. It loves gas, but I have hauled up to 19 k lbs. I est. the fuel to be 375.00 rd. trip. I am getting ready to modify a small 8 ft. trailer, that can be pulled by my Toyota 4cyl. p/k that gets abt. 24 mpg. I will have to install a second axle and brakes on it. I only have til the 28th to remove the lathe. If you hear of someone coming east, please advise. Thanks Paul

mike thomas
10-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Paul, Why not just haul it on the Chevy? Most campers weigh more than that lathe? Mike

Al Messer
10-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Paul,

Check the Yahoo Yellow Pages for Lincoln and get the phone numbers of a couple of truck stops and call and talk with their "Load Locator". He or she will probably know every hotshot driver in the area. From my past dealings with them, anyone of them would be delighted to haul a lathe rather than running empty back to Va. Another thought is that said broker may know of a driver that does not have a full load and is looking for some LTL to finish making up a paying load.

crypto
10-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Paul,

it would be convenient if the truck that you arrange to haul it would be one with a hydraulic hoist, that would save a lot of work upon delivery. Your Leblond is approx. the same size and wt. as my 14" . The factory manual suggests the following moving instuctions. I quote, "if cranes are available, the following structions should be followed. For lathes with two legs, insert a heavy board or flat steel bar under the bed at the estimated center of weight. (the bar should be wider than the bed width) continuing with instructions-"sling on each end of the board or bar using another board to protect the control rods" (carriage feed screw and power) rod). I always remove or turn around any protruding handwheels (cross feed, carriage or control levers that might be bent in transit.

Oscar

gizmo2
10-21-2002, 09:13 PM
Paul, we made our last big move that way, from IN to WY by contracting with an empty carrier. The fly in the ointment was insurance; we could not get insurance on our household while it was in transit. But we saved almost $3,000 do-it-yourself style.

hobbycraft
10-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Many thanks to all of you ! Your ideas are much appreciated and the instructions are excellent to know. I am so glad you are willing to help a fellow hobby machinists. I just found this brotherhood, through the mag we all read; HSM . I am looking forward to sharing what little I know abt. the great world of metal working, and asking for your answers to my questions. Thankyou !!!