PDA

View Full Version : 10" Rockwell

John Foster
09-12-2005, 04:11 PM
I have a 10" Rockwell bench model lathe. That is the one with the variable speed drive BEHIND the lathe, not underneath.
I need to make a motor pulley and need the OD and the width at the top of the groove.
Not a member of the Rockwell group so trust one of you guys will have one to measure. Thanks, John

hoffman
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I have a 10 with the underdrive. I'm not sure I understand what you need but I'd be glad to measure anything on mine. I think the bench model uses a different belt than the underdrive. It's a wider belt where mine uses regular v-belts.

Let me know how I can help. I have a manual around here somewhere but it only covers the underdrive.

Here's a link to a pic of your drive:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta%20metal/page4.html

------------------
Deep Sea Tool Salvage

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 09-12-2005).]

John Foster
09-13-2005, 01:31 PM
You are right. I have the "bench model" with the wide belt. The motor was missing when I rescued the lathe from the junk heap and of course the pulley was with the motor. I have made one based on the picture in the manual but it tends to slip. I'll cut it a little deeper but just thought if I had the correct dimensions it would save some time.
Incidentally, the lathe is now a working CNC machine. Thanks, John

Pete B
09-13-2005, 02:05 PM
John, I to have a bench drive model Rockwell 10. My motor pully measures 2.00 on the O.D. and the width of the top of the groove is 1.025. I hope this helps. Buy the way my Variable speed drive system has always slipped a bit. It gets loose as the RPM increases. By the way I sure would like to see some pics of that cnc conv. Rockwell. Thanks, Pete

hoffman
09-13-2005, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see some pics and hear about it also!

John Foster
09-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Pete, thanks, that is just the information I needed. I had the same problem of slippage as the speed was increased. Made the mistake of increasing the speed while cutting and it slowly quit on me. It was a light cut so no damage done.
Pictures are a problem but will try as I know I need to learn how.
As to the lathe, it was being junked and had no motor, tailstock or saddle. I grabbed it for parts and because I can't pass up anything like that. Anyway, a friend cast a new tailstock in aluminum for me. I figured that on CNC I wouldn't use it much. Found a slab of CI and made a new saddle and it was complete.
It has taken me a long time but the conversion is fairly simple. An old 486 CPU as the program is shareware from TurboCNC (WWW.dakeng.com, $60) and runs in DOS. To be very basic the lathe takes the place of a printer. The printer goes back and forth and up and down so the lathe goes back and forth and in and out. Printers don't need much power but motors do so from the CPU the step signals go to 2 drivers that will handle up to 7 amps and 80 volts ($110 to $150 & WWW.geckodrives.com)and (http://WWW.geckodrives.com)and) a basic power supply (my power supply is about 56 volts at 4 amps). The last thing is a stepper motor and that really got confusing to me as they seem to be real wierd. I tried to understand them but finally gave up and just ordered two, one the is rated at 440 inch onces and for the long feed a 880 inch once one. There are several on this board who could explain what size to get, but these are doing the job and are probably too big.
I stayed with the original Acme crossfeed screw as it is good shape and has a minimum of backlash. I went with a ball screw for the long feed with two opposed ball nuts. Backlash is not the problem on a lathe that it is on a mill so that makes it easier. The mill has to move in all directions where a lathe USUALLY moves in and left while cutting.
I'll try to answer any questions you have. John

Pete B
09-14-2005, 07:45 AM
John, That whole project sounds real interesting. I am going to eventually convert mine to electronic vari speed drive as to get rid of all the belts. I scrounged a VFD and motor that was being tossed at work. It should work. The Rockwell 10 IMO is a good lathe for the home shop. I have had mine for a little over 10 years with no real trouble. Of course I wish it was a little bigger, but someday Ill find the right 16" machine. Good luck on your project. Do you have any thoughts on the VFD convertion since you already conv. yours. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks again. Pete

John Foster
09-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I used a 1/2 hp, single phase motor on mine. I do use a VFD on my Bridgeport and love it.
Has anyone had any experience with with bearing failure in the motor when using VFD? John