X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Your Old Dog
    • Dec 2004

Anyone know what this is? Picture

Found this vice at a hardware store while getting some glass paynes cut. They have no clue what it's used for. I told them I knew a place that was pretty good at answering stuff like this. Was I right or wrong ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

Its a vise, anvil, grinder and I think, drill.

I forget who made it, but someone I think on the PM board (or was it here?) HAS one. His has all the goodies.

IIRC, the middle gear shaft has a 1/2" drill socket on the INSIDE, and you put the handle on one of the three shafts to get the appropriate drilling speed ratio, using the highest ratio speed-up to do grinding.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Mcgyver
      • Mar 2005

That’s hilarious. the predecessor to the ginsu knife. order now and get this handy scriber/nail cleaner....but theres more...
      located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• speedy
        • Jul 2004

"Just 10 easy monthly payments of $49.99"

Ken
        Ken.

Comment

Not another 3 in 1 machine,geeeezzzz.

------------------
          The tame Wolf !

Comment

• Lee Paul
            • Sep 2005

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
            Not another 3 in 1 machine,geeeezzzz.

</font>
            Ahhhhhh......vise, anvil, grinder and I think, drill...

That would be a "4 in 1".......

Comment

• madman
              • Sep 2004

Looks Stupid.

Comment

• Flatline's Up!
                • Aug 2005

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madman:
                Looks Stupid.</font>
                Stupid is as stupid does...

I'd love to have something like that laying around... I think it's pretty damn cool IMHO.
                Killing aluminum one chip at a time

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                  • Dec 2004

Well, it has me thinking it was more than it appears to be at first glance, that is, a K-Tell buy one will give you 4 more....... type of item. The hook on the inside jaw and it's opposing pipe jaw led me to believe it might actually be a specialty type vice. Or, maybe the hook was just a poorly designed balance for the jaw above it. I got a feeling it may be out of large company that needed a lot of these for a specific reason. They aren't very popular but it appears to be mass produced. Besides that, from the age of it I don't think K-tell was around, if they were they would have primarily pushing their salad shooters.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-10-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-10-2005).]
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• JRouche
                    • Aug 2004

I like it! Get a cover on them gears before osha gets a whiff
                    JRouche

Comment

• madman
                      • Sep 2004

Its just a vice that tightens loosens from the opposite end.

Comment

• DR
                        • Jan 2003

"Its a vise, anvil, grinder and I think, drill."

Yep, that's right.

These type multipurpose machines were made by various companies. There were some models shown in those reprints of old Sears catalogs that were so popular a few years back.

I had one similar to the picture. The vise and anvil were okay, the rest is next to useless. Maybe in their day if no other way to grind and drill was available they were better than nothing.

Comment

• Last Old Dog
                          • May 2005

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
                          . . . Or, maybe the hook was just a poorly designed balance for the jaw above it. </font>
                          Me thinks the 'hook' is merely a supprt for the matching loose pipe jaw whilst clamping. Last Old Dog

Not affiliated with the authentic 'Your Old Dog'

Comment

Where is the part that drills?

------------------
                            The tame Wolf !

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                              • Dec 2004

The midddle gear had a 1/2 square socket hole. JTiers says that was for a drill bit of some kind. I think he's right about that. Didn't we just have a post amonth ago from on of the UK boys that got a drill that operates by hand and screws down as you turn the bit for drilling heavy plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X