PDA

View Full Version : moving lathe?

rbregn
09-10-2005, 01:12 PM
My mill showed up yesterday and I just set it in the shop! My lathe is going to show up next week or the one after. So after I get it off the truck and on the trailer and home I have to get it in the shop. Once in the shop I have to move it to where I want it. So what is the easiest way to move it across the floor. No room for a fok lift. It ways 5000# give or take a #.

egpace
09-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Machinery dollies or pipes/round steel bars as rollers, and a Johnson bar. Someone may have pictures of a move, anyone?
Be careful,
Ed

thistle
09-10-2005, 01:36 PM
lift it enough to bolt heavy timbers under it ,and brace the lathe with 4x4 at 45 degree s, so that the machine cannot tip ,it will be very top heavy and want to tip.

over kill but a hour spent on setting up such a rig could save a lot of cussing ,and maybe injury.

i did that to my lathe 3000 poundsand put lots of wheel s(500pound ) under to get it to go where it should.

dont use swivelling wheels-just straightif you do ,and be aware that they might collapse.

[This message has been edited by thistle (edited 09-10-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-10-2005, 03:03 PM
If you shop floor is smooth and you don't mind being careful, a pallet truck/jack like this one ($299) from harborfreight should do it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/04400-04499/04479.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36383

I'd get one myself if I had more space in my shop to store it.. I use pipe and jacks to move my equipment but I wish I had a pallet truck instead.

-Adrian

northof54
09-10-2005, 03:23 PM
It has been said many times- "slow & easy- take your time." Don't get in hurry just because the sun is setting. Throw tarp on it- work in daylight!

If you've never wrestled with heavy, cumbersome weights- don't do this by yourself. One competent set of hands can make your day.

Take the advice about extending the base at both ends- take the time to triangulate the braces. Four independent chains or straps, in tension, can also keep it from tipping.

I've never used skates- just pipe rollers & pinch bars. How far do you have to go? I' moved small barges across sand with 2x8's laid flat and small pilings as rollers. Winches make pulling easy.

Use the 'search' here and @ Prac. Mach. Lots of good hints; some horror stories. This thread stikes a chord with me cause I gotta move a 15" Colchester Monday morning.

good luck, mike

cntryboy1289
09-10-2005, 03:50 PM
I used a engine hoist to lift mine off the truck and set down in place on my stand when I got it in place and leveled. I bought mine for $150 and decided to just keep it around in case I ever needed it one day. You may get lucky and find one to rent. I could have rented one for $55 for 2 days but decided to pop the extra Franklin so I would have it from now on. My lathe came with mounting attachments already on it, but if yours doesn't, make sure you figure out the points that will keep it level. Slide the tailstock out to the right to help keep the weight balanced better. Good luck.

northof54
09-10-2005, 06:06 PM
5000 lbs with an engine hoist?

charlie coghill
09-10-2005, 06:20 PM
My engine hoist is home built and a whole lot heaver than the ones that you buy at HF and 1500# is all it wants to pick up.

Mine is built from 3/16 wall 4inch sq. tubbing.

andy_b
09-10-2005, 06:55 PM
i'd pull the headstock and tailstock off. when i picked up my old LeBlond 17" Heavy Duty they loaded it on my truck assembled. it weighed close to 3000#. i lifted the headstock and tailstock off with a small loader, but once everything was at ground level i used one of the engine hoists (a Horror Freight one at that).

to move the main body of the lathe (minus the headstock and tailstock), i lifted one end with a 3-ton floor jack and would slide it a few inches. then i set it down and went to the other end and moved it. i only lifted it just enough to get the weight off the legs (maybe 1/4"), and i was lifting it from under the bed, not down by the feet.

once i got it pretty much in position but had to slide it length-wise, i used the floor jack under one end and the engine hoist under the other. again, i just lifted things enough to take the weight off. i probably had to effectively pick up 100# to move it, but it was a lot easier than picking up 2000#.

once the main body of the lathe was positioned, then i used the engine hoist to put the headstock and tailstock back on. all in all it wasn't too bad. the lathe was the toughest thing i've had to move. i've moved 4000#-5000# machines, but they all had relatively flat bottoms and i used pipes to roll them around. the legs on the lathe made it difficult.

andy b.

HTRN
09-10-2005, 07:08 PM
The trick to moving lathes is to bolt a couple of planks to em' using lag screws - then the pry bar and piperoller trick works beautifully.

HTRN

------------------
This Old Shed (http://thisoldshed.tripod.com)

Davis In SC
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
There is a time that it is cheaper & safer to hire a Rigger to move things... After all they are insured.. So machine & any damages to shop or home are covered. A few years ago, we bought 3 Nardini lathes to resell. Out of the 3 , only 1 made it safely to the destination. the other 2 fell of of the Rollbacks & were destroyed. Part that made me feel bad was: Buyer collected insurance claim for twice what we sold him the lathe for...

andy_b
09-10-2005, 10:38 PM
i often wondered about the insurance deal. the stuff i have, i've been picking it up for prices from $0-$200. if a $100 lathe fell off a truck, what would the insurance company give me? maybe $200? the thing is, i doubt i could find the same thing for the same price, at least not without going to another 100 auctions. no offense to the QUALIFIED riggers out there, but from what i've seen of most, i'd rather take my time and move it myself. i know for a fact none of the machines i've moved have fallen off the back of rollbacks.

andy b.

cntryboy1289
09-10-2005, 10:57 PM
My hoist is a 2 1/2 ton hoist so 5000 pounds isn't out of the question. You could easily do just what I did which was turn the lathe crossways and sit it down on the legs of the hoist, roll it to where you want it, and then lift it up and onto the table or stand you have for it. Most folks would agree that the best solution isn't always the one where you have to pay someone to come take care of something for you. I would also venture to say that the average hoist will handle a bit more than 5000lbs, but the rating they use is a little bit on the conservative side to be cover their tails.

Also, I might add, if yours is made of 3/16" 4" square tubing, your jack must be awlful small for it to only handle 1500lbs. Mine is made of 2x4" 3/16" tubing and the jack will handle a full 2 1/2 tons without a hitch. I bought mine from a engine building store which might be why the jack is a little better.

[This message has been edited by cntryboy1289 (edited 09-10-2005).]

Forrest Addy
09-11-2005, 10:03 AM
I moved my lathe allo over the place with a floor jack. I removed the chip pan and lifted one end at a time to "see-saw" the machine in position. Kinda like stapping off a distance with dividers.

lklb
09-11-2005, 10:33 AM
If your doing it by yourself,try Forrest's technique. It feels very reassuring to have one side of a top heavy load firmly on the floor for stability.
Lathes can flip EASILY if just supported by a pallet jack, and once they start going ,you can't stop them.

rbregn
09-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I like Forrest's idea, also abouch of small shafts. Thats is how I moved my mill. one small shaft on each side, just big enough to raise it off the ground and used a spud bar to slid it back. Thanks for the replies! Well back out to the shop to try and organize things a little
Rob

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-11-2005, 02:07 PM
My Clausing 14x48" 6913 Lathe came with two 4x4's bolted to the bottom length wise so I was able to roll it around on pipes and use a long pry bar to lift/nudge it sideways. My Bridgeport was moved with rolling pipes and a large prybar to nudge it sideways, and for final position.

-Adrian

northof54
09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Forrest- your floor jack worked great. we fudged the lathe about six feet. Cheated fifty feet with fork lift- floor jack would have done it/ no problem. Guess I'm just used to doing things the hard way.
mike