PDA

View Full Version : Central Measuraing tools??

Jeeper
10-16-2002, 12:19 AM
Ok, I have been offered to buy a set of tools from a guy. They where bought through Snap on and on the mics and everything else it Says "Central Tool Works", or something like that. I have never heard of them before? Are they good, or should I just pass them up?
Thanks,
Chris

------------------
Duct Tape, the most widely used tool!!:)

1erful
10-16-2002, 12:53 AM
JEEPER: They sounds like a Harbor Freight brand. WALT WARREN

Jeeper
10-16-2002, 01:09 AM
Are you thinking about Century? I dunno know. I just dont want to blow my money on cr@! if you know what I mean.
Thanks,
Chris

------------------

docn8as
10-16-2002, 01:37 AM
original central tool was an american manufacturer( maybe rhode island?) & made good quality stuff . some craftsman mics were made by them , & my 3 incher is an "ok" mike.... has everything my starretts have but the name & resale value.(abt 1/3 of starrett)....recent central tool stuff is china import......
best wishes
docn8as

chief
10-16-2002, 04:11 AM
If it ain't starrett, it ain't a tool.
Central tools are imports That Snap-on charges outrageous prices for. I they are cheap (real cheap) buy,em if look elsewhere.
Surprisingly ebay has good mikes for cheap.

hms50
10-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Jeeper,
I don't know how things are in your part of the world, but here in New England good quality outside mikes,(Starrett, old Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoyo), only bring $20 to $50 used at machinery dealers. Chief is right about quality, you want the best. Last wekend I bought a 0-1 and a 1-2 Starrett inside mike,(700a & 700b) for $40. They are in excellant shape and show no wear. As manufacturing is going eleswhere, it's a good time to buy tools for ten cents on the buck!
good luck
hms50

kgarver
10-16-2002, 07:45 PM
I have an old set of Central Tools OD micrometers. The set has four mics that go to 4" naturally. They were originally made here in Rhode Island. They are like new and I paid $30.00 or them including the case from a pawn shop in Tampa. They work fine but do not have that woderful, silky feel of a Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, or Lufkin. They measure just as well though! If you can get them for cheap do it! However, if there is ANY resistance on the sellers part hit Ebay. They have super deals on every kind of mic you can dream of and sometimes no one bids on yours and you can get a 0-1" Etalon OD mic for $8.85. And that price included shipping!!
Regards,Ken

Jeeper
10-17-2002, 01:34 AM
Well, he is asking 600 dollars for the hole set. It includes: 0-5" mics, minus the 0-1's and 1-2's(there lost), crankshaft journal measuring device, spring calipers, depth mic, dial indicator, and a couple of other that I can not remeber. What do you guys think? All and I will go back and look at them again and see if they are made in USA or China.
Thanks,
Chris

------------------

docn8as
10-17-2002, 01:50 AM
run in the opposite direction as fast as u can!
best wishes
docn8as

chief
10-17-2002, 05:08 AM
Like doc said "run".

Gary Reif
10-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Jeeper
Sounds like an awfull high price for a broken set of mic's and a few misc. other tools. I have an O-1 and a 1-2 Central micrometers these are about 25 years old and IMO good mics. they were made in Rhode Island, USA. I might be wrong but I think you can get a NEW set of Mitutoyo's for a lot less than $600 if you watch for a sale.
Just my opinion
Gary Reif

msrm
10-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Absurdly too expensive. You can get a new
Starret set for about 800.00.

kgarver
10-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Hi Ebay and the money you save you can pruchase a certain machine tool book and a scraper to boot! Probably even have enough after all of that to take Moma out to a nice dinner!

Jeeper
10-18-2002, 05:07 PM
I'm running, and fast too. Thanks, checked ebay last nite, and found a Starrett Dial indicator set for a buck! So I bid on it and this morning was outbid. So I put another bid on it at 20 bucks, then outbid again. So I am going to keep on trying ebay. What kind of tools besides Starrett are good quality tools?
Thanks,
Chris

------------------

kgarver
10-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Brown & Sharpe and Lufkin's I've always liked. Lufkin was bought out by Pratt & Whitney and for a very short period of time their precision tools were badged as P&W's but they were all Lufkins underneath. FYI Lufkin is now owned by the Cooper Tool Group but they no longer make any precision tools. Mores the pity! Lufkin was headquartered in Saginaw, Michigan and B&S is in Providence, RI.
IF you are not afraid of owning foreign made tools Mitutoya makes very good tools for the $$. I have 0-1, 1-2, & 2-3" OD mics that I use regurally. Excellent tools. Etalon is a Swiss company that makes precision tools and their prices reflect the Swiss passion for fit, feel and most of all precision. Their 0-1" mike used to cost $175 back in 1988. It has an adjustable spring loaded thimble (over size) that always creates the same spindle pressure. Thats the idea behind that little spring loaded ratchet on the end of some mics. Great idea for rookies but not 1 in a 100 use it. The sleeve is marked in .0005" instead of .001" as are most all mics. There are only 5 lines need on the sleeve to read it in .0001" and since it too is over size my old eyes can read it easier! You'll get to appreciate that more w/each passing year. Trust me. Carbide faces naturally.

As soon as you get you Ebay tools (mics here) take them apart and clean then w/whatever. I use Sili Kroil followed w/20W machine oil. The theory is the Sili Kroil penetrates all of the threads and crevases and floats out the crud and the oil lubes and protects them long term. My theory. DON'T use WD-40! It is made to displace moisture and will form a brown goo w/in 6 mos. and while it wont hurt your mics they will have to be recleaned again. Pain in the geiswiler!
Regards, Ken

Jim Hubbell
10-22-2002, 06:54 PM
I have a hodge-podge of mic's. The 1-2" is Central mach. Had it since the 1940s, Works fine and as accurate as I need. I needed a 4-5 and 5-6 mic. a short time ago and tried VME as advertised in HSM. The mics. I got are right out of the '40s. Made by Tumico in Minn. In origeonal cartons. Less than $30 each. I really prefer the older stuff so I feel lucky to have found them!

docsteve66
10-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Ken, I have no idea what Sili Kroil is, but I love plain old Kroil. Good for rusted bolts etc. Expensive but worth every penny. Try the cheap stuff first, then Kroil it and wait 24 hours (some times it works faster) but it seems to work.