X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pockets
    • Mar 2005

Too Small Lathe

I am fully aware that this wouldn't be considered in a "real" machine shop, but: If you wanted to turn a railroad type wheel and your lathe wasn't big enough, would it be practical to mount it on a rotary table, in the mill. By shimming the table, or using a specially ground mill, the appropriate angle and radii should be achieveable.

Don't hurt me, too bad, with you feedback. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Greg B.

------------------
    If you're data is anomalous, you've more digging to do.
    If you\'re data is anomalous, you\'ve more digging to do.
  • Spin Doctor
    • Nov 2002

Don't laugh but real machine shops often resort to unusual methods to get the job done with the materials/tools at hand. I remember seeing a Harig 612 surface grinder mounted on the table of a Giddings and Lewis Horizontal Boring Mill with an internal grinding spindle mounted on the Harig to regrind the internal Morse taper in the G&L's spindle
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

When I discovered my mini lathe was too small for my locomotive project, I bought a 9" southbend and decided to restart the project in a smaller scale.
      My mill is even smaller. You could step mill it with a ball end mill maybe, with a data table. If your going to be doing projects that require a larger lathe, do you really need a better reason to upgrade?

Comment

• topct
        • Jan 2004

Yes. It could be done.

------------------
        Gene
        Gene

Comment

• mochinist
          • Oct 2003

You can also make an arbor for your mill that will hold the wheel, and use the mill like a lathe, move the vice to the side and mount your tool holder from your lathe in it. Not the funnest thing to do but it works. You would be surprised at what goes on in a "real machineshop", we don't always have the right or the best tools for the job either.
          Guru of something…

Comment

• Davis In SC
            • Jul 2005

Nothing wrong with that.. IMHO, figuring out a way to get a job done is what seperates the Machinists from the Machine Operators.... As long as it is safe, & does not damage the machine...
            I have "Turned" many EDM electrodes in the mill spindle, using a lathe tool clamped in the vise. Sure beats waiting several hours til the lathe is free...

Comment

• pockets
              • Mar 2005

Thanks for the input, gang. These would be drivers and my lathe can handle everything (almost) else. Hard to justify the cost of a 14" lathe at this stage of life and for one locomotive. I'll stay with my 8" and, with your moral support, take a serious look at the mill.

Thanks again,
              Greg B.

------------------

Comment

• chkz
                • Oct 2003

glad someone finally laid the cards on the table about "real machine shops" (Mochinist)...hooray! Should be a comfort to everybody to know its not always about having the right tool/equipment but about turning out a usable (and not ALWAYS pretty) part to "get the job done and make a buck" with whatever you happen to have at your disposal...

take care all!
                Chris

Comment

• nheng
                  • Jun 2002

I've had work done recently by several top notch CNC shops and in both cases, large diameter disk shaped parts (9" diameter) were done on a CNC mill. One did not have lathe capacity in that range and the other preferred to do it on the mill. Den

Comment

• SGW
                    • Apr 2001

You should be able to get a tapered end mill and make the job fairly easy. In smaller sizes and small tapers they aren't terribly expensive.
                    ----------
                    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• charlie coghill
                      • Mar 2001

I think that I would look long and hard at shimming the RT. I think that would be the way to go. Just my thoughts.
                      Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

• pockets
                        • Mar 2005

I guess it's a confidence thing. It's much easier to walk a worn path than to break trail.

Thanks for the guidance

Greg B

------------------

Comment

• Rustybolt
                          • Jul 2002

Have you ever seen a horizontal lathe? What you describe is essentially the same thing.
                          So yes it will work.

Comment

• dalesvp
                            • Sep 2005

Yes, it will work. I've turned some large (>22") diameter work mounted on a rotary table against an end mill. My lathe turns <21". Tighten everything down good as the greater the diameter the greater the vibration(s). Take small bites as the end mill will climb or walk making you wish you were doing something else....

Comment

• pockets
                              • Mar 2005

Thanks, guys, for the input. This is both instructive and confidence inspiring. I may practice on some smaller ( freight car ) wheels, to develope technique, before commiting to expensive driver castings.

Thanks, again,
                              Greg B.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X