PDA

View Full Version : need help picking a lathe!

lucky13
09-29-2005, 09:01 PM
so i already had topic going on the homier lathe and i kinda wonder how the older lathes that are available are? what brands have the best reputation or more honestly what brands to avoid!i am new to lathe work,but want a machine that i can make motorcycle and truck parts, and do gunsmithing projects with. thanx for the help ahead of time ,and thanx to others who responded to my other post.

cuemaker
09-29-2005, 09:14 PM
I picked up a 1969 Clausing Colchester Student almost a year ago and I am very very happy with it.

Depending on where you are and how hard you look, there are good deals on good equipment out there.

If you midwest there are lots of good finds. You just have to look hard and act when opertunity strikes.

lucky13
09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
i am currently in san diego, but i am moving next spring to northern idaho. so that brings up another question. i wonder if there will be better deals here or in the idaho/montana area. and i wonder if it will be better to wait till i get up there so i don't have to move it? this justs gets more complicated all the time

cuemaker
09-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Thats a tough one about the moving it or buying it after you move.

It may take until spring to find one in general. I looked for 6mos for mine and I had to drive 4hrs to get mine, which for you is northen LA.

I say look and look some more. If you find the one before you move, then so be it.

andy_b
09-29-2005, 10:27 PM
lucky13,

if it was me, i'd figure it this way.

i'm in San Diego. i'm going to Idaho. i have several months to look for something that is on my way between SD and Idaho.

i've found most folks will hold onto something for a few months as long as they are paid at least a portion of the price. that way if you find something, you can pick it up on the trip to your new home.

andy b.