PDA

View Full Version : circle fabrication

Samuel
10-23-2002, 05:41 AM
I recently saw a picture of a machine that cuts circles out of sheet metal. looks kind of like a 400+ pound automatic can opener, has anyone ever made one of these things here? seems kind of simple, a possible DIY gig maybe?

thanks

Samuel

hms50
10-23-2002, 09:06 AM
Samuel,
In the latest issue of HSM, or was it MW? there is an article about metal spinning. The author is going to include info on building a small "ring shear". It should be a great article!
Cheers!
hms50

Thrud
10-24-2002, 01:49 AM
Samuel:
That would be a nibbler. You could build one, but unless you need it for severe service, there is not point. If you only on occassion need some nice sheet metal circles then check your yellow pages for metal fab shops or metal suppliers. You can get them Flame, Plasma, Water Jet, Laser, or CNC Turret punched out.

The best is CNC Laser cutting - if they do it right the edge looks machined and only needs a quick wipe with a rag to clean it up. The metal will not warp with the Laser method either.

Samuel
10-24-2002, 09:40 PM
thanks guys, I was wanting to try my hand at metal turning so warping isnt a problem so much... does anyone know where I can find HSM in Portland Or.? by the issue? used to work somewhere that received it but not any more and I need this months edition.

thanks

Samuel

Sprocket
10-24-2002, 10:13 PM
I see it at Barnes and Noble, I assume they are everywhere. Or Borders, or any other store with a large and varied magazine selection.