PDA

View Full Version : Q/C toolpost brands

ug
10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
I realize that you do actually sometimes get what you pay for, so I'll keep that in mind. That said, do you have varying opinions on quick change tool posts compared to Aloris?

What about Fipps(sp?), Phase etc .... or are they pretty much all the same.

SGW
10-04-2005, 01:08 PM
I think you mean Fims (Fimms?).

At one point Joe of Plaza Machinery could give pretty good prices on them. Dunno if that's still true, but it might be worth checking. They have what some claim is a more positive height adjustment than the Aloris type. Whether that matters or not is probably subject to opinion.

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Mine came with a Yuasa series 200:

http://www.bbssystem.com/toolpost.jpg

I know their Rotary tables are good, but I've never heard anything about their toolposts.

-Adrian

hoffman
10-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I guess it depends on how hard you use it. I have a cheap QC on my little lathe and am really happy with it for home shop stuff.

Most folks are OK with the cheaper piston types.

MikeG
10-04-2005, 05:14 PM
UG

I have a Phase II (wedge type) and I think it is a very good toolpost for the money. My 2 cents.

MikeG

winchman
10-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I second MikeG's opinion on the Phase II. I'm very pleased with mine.

Roger

egpace
10-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I worked for the Fims Tool Co. for a year or so back in the early 70’s. Their tool post was called a Tri-post. You could actually lock 3 of their holders on the post at the same time. The quality of their tools was up there with the best of them.

The Tool Post was also sold under the Do-all name. The company’s original name was IMS Tool Co., so you may run across some with that name on them. If you can get your hands on a Fims for a decent price, definitely grab it. Just make sure it comes with the holders you need.

Have fun,
Ed

Michael Az
10-04-2005, 08:41 PM
I was happy with my Phase 2 until I got an Aloris.
Michael

ckalley
10-05-2005, 11:50 AM
I have a DTM (Dovetail Tool & Mfg) on my lathe. It's the wedge type, equivalent to an Aloris. All in all, I like it a lot. The tool holders work fine on the Aloris QC at work. I just wish I'd have gotten the "A" size......
Craig

Mcgyver
10-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I've a Drehblitz, main unit and one insert came with the lathe. I've since made about 9 more tool holders (the Drehblitz stuff is expensive!).

given that the usefulness increases with the number if insert tool holders (or whatever they are called), I'd be looking the either how inexpensive additional holders are or how easy are they to make as a consideration

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 10-05-2005).]

Alistair Hosie
10-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I have also Drehblitz with about eight or nine dedicated Drehblitz holders now no longer in business Went bust this year expensive stuff thank god mine came with my lathe http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif I would like to see how you made the toolholders Mcygyver as they look complicated to me regards brother Alistair

gweloboy
01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have experience with the HF quick change tool post?