OT:Acetone added to gasoline-Does it increase gas mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mochinist
    • Oct 2003

OT:Acetone added to gasoline-Does it increase gas mileage?

Someone on another forum I go to asked this question, and gave some links. The first link seems reasonable enough in its description as to why this works, but I also realize this is the internet, and anybody can get a website and report so called facts. I dont know enough about chemistry or gas engines to know whether or not this is bunk.
    pure energy
    link 2

The feedback on the other board was pretty much 50-50, some guys had a friend who had a friend that did it and it worked great. The other half said don't do it, it will screw up your engine, but gave no feedback as to why. You guy's seem to live for engines so I figured someone would have a better answer here.

Guru of something…
  • 3 Phase Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Add in tiny amounts from about one part per 5000 to one part per 3000, depending on the vehicle -- just a few ounces per ten gallons of gas. This comes to between 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum or approximately 1/15th of one-percent.</font>
    I would say it's perfectly safe to try.. At .0003% to .0025%, I would expect almost any chemical you add would be safe.. As long as you don't gum up or clog your fuel injection and/or carb I wouldn't worry about doing any damage at all.

-Adrian

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

It shouldn't hurt anything but the so called "scientific" descriptions I have seen about how it is supposed to work are total bunk. There also isn't a single objective controlled study that shows any benefit. There also isn't any particular reason to expect it to work other than it might help to clean the injectors.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

Smart answer is that it improves the gas mileage about as much as the acetone mileage is reduced...... without adding any it is infinite miles per gallon of acetone.

Possible answer (the site you linked was slow and I didn't wait for their stuff) is really that it just de-gunks the engine, so that it operates a bit more efficiently.

Cleaner injectors etc improve mileage, but the improvements stay longer than a tank of gas. If you keep adding acetone, you'll never notice that it isn't needed, you'll just stay at whatever mpg improvement you got regardless.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• ibewgypsie
          • Dec 2002

Bring on the nutso friend of mine who poured gallons of the stuff into a drag car.. It made your eyes water at 100 feet away.

He does a lot of crazy things.

ANybody got a octaine meter to see what it actually goes other than solvent the injectors?

David

Excuse me,, it was MEK, not acetone..

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 09-28-2005).]

Comment

• Forrest Addy
            • Oct 2002

Sounds like another urban legend a-building like water injection, octane pills, etc. The gullible will be sure to sieze on it and embrace is as their own to the total exclusion of contradictory facts and evidence.

There's lots of tricks to improve fuel economy. Most are expensive in terms of technology or equipment.

Let me ask you: don't you think that all - that's ALL - the tricks for extending fuel economy have been discovered long ago and would have been incorporated in aviation engines and commercial automotive fleets had it been remotely possible? Fuel is expensive: 30 to 30% of the total cost of doing business. This is an irresistible economic incentive that no "secret" formula or "mystery" ingredient can long withstand.

Recent advances in passenger vehicle fuel economy has been possible only with advances in computer combustion control and electronic fuel injection neither of which were available years ago.

People with milage "tricks" are either charletons or dupes of their own placebo effects. Don't you be either.

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

I think it has a lot to do with the placebo effect too... People that are looking to see if they are getting better gas mileage are probably not driving like they normally drive when they are not thinking about gas mileage. Depending on my mood, I might burn 2x the fuel needed going from point A to point B on any given day.

-Adrian

Comment

• rsr911
                • Oct 2004

With the high cost of premium I've been putting regular in the tank of the 911 and adding the appropriate amount of toluene that I buy at cost from work. Saves me a buddle and the carbs are cleaner than ever. Toluene is a great octane booster and I have to run high octane do to the cars compression ratio.

------------------
                -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsr911:
                  With the high cost of premium I've been putting regular in the tank of the 911 and adding the appropriate amount of toluene that I buy at cost from work. Saves me a buddle and the carbs are cleaner than ever. Toluene is a great octane booster and I have to run high octane do to the cars compression ratio.

</font>

Premimum/93 Octane costs about $0.15 cents more per gallon than 87 around here. I think the low grade/87 Octane has more alcohol too which isn't great. I don't think I'd personally be saving any money if I had to spend extra time mixing in an octane booster vs. paying an extra $1.50 - $2.00 for high Octane. If you have water in your tank, the cheap low grade/87 can help absorb that water with the extra alcohol in there.

-Adrian

Comment

• SJorgensen
                    • Nov 2002

One thing that sure makes a difference in mileage at this time of year is the lessened use of the AC unit. I usually get about 300 miles per tank in my 96 Taurus. This last tank lasted until 345 and I still had a reserve.

Any test of mileage due to an additive would have to factor in these other items and driving habits too.

Comment

• HTRN
                      • Jul 2004

Ahem.

HTRN

------------------
                      This Old Shed
                      EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                        • Dec 2004

Might be a good idea to make sure you can get your rusted fuel filter out of the line before trying anything like that in an older vehicle. Don't "axe" me how I know! (axe= i work in the big city)

If gasohol was a problem for rubber type gaskets I wonder what acetone might due to carberated engines?

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 09-29-2005).]
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• ibewgypsie
                          • Dec 2002

OCtane?

Best octane additive on the market is the 2cycle oil with fuel extenders.

I have saw it on the octane stick. You don't add enough to run a chainsaw, about 10% of that. and it gives upper engine lubricants that they took out when they removed the lead.

Yeah, I love a rumbling sound. I sure miss the 71 camaro I got from my lil brother.

David

Comment

• Rustybolt
                            • Jul 2002

If it was a good idea it would already be in your gas.
                            I suspect it isn't good for seals or gaskets or other rubber parts.

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                              • Oct 2004

I posted a link the other day to this, on the practical machinist site

Here are answers from persons who have tried it.
                              The answers lead to full reports by the persons..
                              ME... I'm not botherd .........I converted to LPG 6 years ago.............and have not looked back..

all the best..mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 09-29-2005).]

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 09-29-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                              X