PDA

View Full Version : Any input on this plasma cutter?

hoffman
09-27-2005, 07:59 PM
http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?dpt=&cat=&sku=03155

I'm always needing to cut 16 or 14 ga. sheet and I was looking at this.

MickeyD
09-28-2005, 09:58 AM
That one looks a lot like the Harbor Freight 91814 plasma torch that I have heard some good about. I have been to a couple of the Homier traveling tool/junk sales and have been a little scared of anything with wires from them. Their little $79 engine hoist is one of my favorite garage tools, and their scaffolding has helped a lot with a home remodel. You might look at the HF version (post if it is any good because I really want one) because they seem to have a good returns policy.

IOWOLF
09-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Always check the price and availability of the consumables,Very Importantant.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

MickeyD
10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
After that last post and a 20% off coupon, I got one of these. First impressions are pretty good.

The good: It will cut 1/4" fairly easily. Cuts on thinner mild steel are a piece of cake. Replacement cutting tips are available from HTP for about $3 and electrodes abotu $4. Seems to be better built and packaged than most of their merchandise. They do have a great return policy, so if it was a dog it was going straight back.

Not so good: It is a drag/tap start machine. This means that you have to tap the cutting tip to the work piece much like a stick welder.

Overall I am happy with this $400 plasma torch. I think that I would be happier with a "real" one from Miller or Lincoln, but I don't see and extra two grand laying around here for that.

madman
10-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Dam that looks nice how do i get one up here in canada. I really want one. Who would sell up here.

hoffman
10-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the input Mickey.