PDA

View Full Version : home depot "viper" drill

Herb W
10-12-2002, 01:33 AM
Received a home depot flier today and on the cover - an 18 volt cordless drill for $79 (Cdn). It looks to be fairly typical...2 spd gearbox, vsr motor, 24 position clutch, jacobs keyless chuck, 2 batts. The name on it is "Viper".

Lowest price I've seen for a rig like this...makes me wonder how good it is.

Anyone know who makes it & if it's decent?

1erful
10-12-2002, 01:41 AM
HERB: If Home Despot stands behind it in Canada as well as down here then give it a try. It probably is made by one of the same companies as better known brands and may well be as good as any. WALT WARREN

Alistair Hosie
10-12-2002, 01:59 AM
Boys
I just saw something in a store we have here called B and Q a carbon copy of home depot in the states,a 24 volt drill in case with two heavy batteries and a heavy duty charger complete with a host of drills and other fittings for screwing etc it has hammer action and looks very smart.cost£39.99 about £60.00 u s.
I bought one even if as a hobbiest I get a few years out of it its for nothing an equivelent with a high ranking name would cost ten times as much in U K we must be getting ripped off if the Chinese can make them even taking the low wages into account for this then I don't care what they say something is not right Alistair

Oso
10-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Home Depot, eh?

id watch out for that drill, with a name like that, you might find it drills TWO holes at a time.......... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dick Payne
10-12-2002, 02:34 PM
Herb:
Home Depot also sells Ryobe drill for less than the one you mentioned. I would go with Ryobe. I have a few of their tools and have never had a problem with them. I have a Ryobe power miter saw that has made thousands of cuts in Mexico at the Jimmy Carter Project in Tijuana in 1990 and many Habitat for Humanity projects since then. As you may have guessed volunteers have been rough on it. All I have had to do with it is change the blade. I also buy low cost battery powered drills from Harbor Freight on sale $15 for a 9.6 volt and $17.95 for a 12volt drill. I don't know how long they will last but they have been ok so far and Harbor Freight does stand behind what they sell. If you are going to use it a lot every day I would buy Makita or Dewalt. They are not cheap but they will last you a long long time and can be repaired for a second life time.

------------------
Dick

Herb W
10-13-2002, 01:08 AM
Thanks guys! Guess I'll have to give it the "hands on" inspection in the store and at the same time try to pry some info out of the sales staff - such as what make it really is.

A clerk in one of the stores (can't remember which) told me that a fairly high percentage of all of the cordless drill brands are made by Ryobi. Maybe the viper is one of them.

Oso, two holes at a time you say...outstanding! I'll double my productivity.. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I've had very good service from the makita tools that I have and I usually believe in spending more to get quality, but darn...they keep tempting me with these lower priced units! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

lynnl
10-17-2002, 10:31 AM
That's interesting... the name 'Viper'. I bought a pattern router bit at Lowes several weeks ago. It too had the name 'Viper'. When I read the fine print it showed the bit was made by Oldham (a pretty well known saw blade mfgr). Don't know if there's a connection, but maybe 'Viper' is just a Marketing name used to sell items from various manufacturers.

No. Now I recall that Lowes did not have what I wanted, so I bought that 'Viper' router bit at Home Depot. Regardless, the price for it was certainly NOT "bargain basement".

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 10-17-2002).]

Tony
10-22-2002, 06:38 AM
re: cordless drills & homedepot selection.

haven't much experience with Ryobi drills, but here's what i can offer:

the yellow DeWalt brand is the "construction" grade of Black&Decker. the insides are the same.. the outsides are supposed to be heavier duty.. but the cost may not justify it, depending on your needs

18V is overkill for just about anything cordless. unless you're drilling holes 24-7 and need ONE battery life (roofers?) ... most of the drill kits come with 2 batteries -- which is a good option to have anyway.

a battery you get in a kit will cost you alot less than a second battery purchased later on.

14V is perfect for just about anything.. this saves $$ as the trend is to get higher voltages ... more for sales than anything else. (effective rating is mA-hours.. the same mAh rating with a higher Voltage will get you more power.. but make sure the mAh ratings are the same if you're buying something "big"! ie 24V)

i wouldnt recommend anything less than 12, unless you'll be using it as a screwdriver to assemble light plastics... like switch/outlet covers on your walls.

from my experience the best cordless drills out there are Bosch pro series.. these are the blue tools. green ones are for "home use" -- by which i suppose they assume no one does anything demanding at home!

they cost a bit more.. but youre grandkids will probably still be using it 100 years from now.

i've been using a 14.2V bosch cordless for years now and its the best money i've ever spent --- keyless chuck, torque adjustment (15 settings) -- and its a hammerdrill! two batteries, and a flashlight.

which they refer to as a "cordless flashlight" which i've gotten just as many years of entertainment out of.

Thrud
10-24-2002, 02:13 AM
knucklehead:
The flashlights are included for one reason - to completely drain the battery before recharging. I do not know if any of the the chargers (the big dewalt might) cycle the batteries full dead and then to full capacity, but they should. This is the reason the NiCd batteries have such a short life and gain a "memory". ALWAYS completely drain your battery before recharging. When you go to replace the NiCd batteries remember the NiCd's are toxic waste and are to be recycled. Also, replace them with NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) if available or Lithium Ion when they become available as they have no memory - but still try to follow the same pattern as it is good practice for dry cells.

1erful
10-24-2002, 02:30 AM
THRUD: Man am I glad to see you're back! Stop scareing us like that ;-)
WALT WARREN

gizmo2
10-24-2002, 11:56 PM
Yeah, Thrud, where'd you go to drain your battery, pal? All charged back up again? Hope you're feeling chipper. Missed yur comments, wasn't quite right around here without your 2 cents worth. Glad to see you back, Dave.