PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to go to New Orleans and make a million dollars?



ibewgypsie
10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Stupid people are tearing down buildings for mold and other infestations..

A old style fumigation system utilizing chlorine gas would kill all the bugs, kill the mold, kill anything left alive in the building. The building then could be purged and put back into service.

Downside? it'd corrode everything where moisture is still present. It produces hydrochloric acid when the vapor hits water.

Still cheaper and quicker than building anew.
David

CCWKen
10-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Chlorine doesn't kill all molds--It just bleaches it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif That's been a big problem down here in the South. Borax does a better job on mold. Chlorine and other chemicals would be needed to kill the germs and bacteria.

The problem is that the germs and bacteria are in the drywall, insulation, wood, rock and brick up to the roof on most of the homes. The stench and bio-hazard is so great that it's more cost effective to just doze the house and start over. The materials will have to be incinerated to be safe.

ibewgypsie
10-05-2005, 07:01 PM
CCW:

I thought it killed all life. Including nearly me.

I had a toe fungus, worked in a chlorine rich atmosphere for two years. No problems. It wasn't worth it thou.

Shame to doze a house for a lil mold.

David

CCWKen
10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
"1) Like termites, certain mold and fungus are able to turn cellulose material (stuff made of wood or wood by products) to food stuff and in the process will weaken and destroy the structural integrity of any item infested.

2) Mold and fungus release spores which are their way of reproducing. These spores float around in the air and pose inhalation risks to those living in the local environment. In fact, these spores are considered to be a major allergen and rank with pollen as a main
source of contaminants for allergy sufferers.

3) Some types of molds and fungus release highly toxic "mycotoxins" which are by products that develop and then release during growth. These mycotoxins can cause severe adverse health problems for many people. Though the mold Stachybotrys chartarum (Stachybotrys atra) is the
more commonly thought of toxic mold, there are many others that pose health risks when allowed to grow and prosper in living areas. Such species includes Claviceps pupurea,
Aspergillus Penicillium and Cladosporium."

C. Tate
10-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Ever been to NO? Place was molded and smelly before. Thought the water might have cleaned it up a little. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for the people of NO and would never wish that catastrophe on anyone. I just thought it was a little moldy and smelly before.

Your Old Dog
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
We've done news storys on folks with mold in thier homes and the ill health affects that result. Pretty nasty stuff. A guy I work with had to move because his wife had a serious allergy to mold and they could not deal with the problems in their home.

cuemaker
10-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Just a side note on mold. "black" mold in your house from what I understand cant be gotten rid off.

I worked for a rather large lender that owned a house that fell down due to black mold. It ate the wood frame underneath the siding and wallboard.

Company was sued for lending on a house with mold on it. Company won, probably because the appraisal didnt note the mold if it was there or not.

J Tiers
10-05-2005, 11:43 PM
N.O. is mold heaven to begin with.... And, yes, it stunk so bad when I was there, how would you even know the difference?

Most Americans then make their houses even more mold-friendly...... Mold doesn't really like wood all that much.... But drywall feeds mold..... the paper is very susceptible. (now there is new drywall with paper stuff that won't feed mold) Then add air conditioning, which provides a decent sealed environment, cool temps, and condensation in teh walls due to outside humidity and inside coolness.

Not all mold is bad. There are a few baddies, but now if anyone sees mold of any sort, they want to tear down the house, get it declared uninhabitable, etc, etc..... They run screaming away...... and most of the time it isn't so.

Used never to be that mold was found everywhere.... I think we create habitat with sealed houses.

The Brits are used to it, I understand they call it "damp", among other things.... and it has apparently been fairly common due to environment. They haven't all died of it.....

CCWKen
10-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Can you imagine all that crap (literally) they pumped out of New Orleans into Lake Pontchartrain? That's going to be a dead lake for a long time.

Fresh fish anyone? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

madman
10-06-2005, 12:58 AM
David Hydrochloric acid is extremely nasty ****. A green rubber o ring when burnt ive been told turns into a mean hydrochloric acid that eats skin and wont stop. Nasty indeed. Ship some to iraq.

Norman Atkinson
10-06-2005, 01:30 AM
Madman!
I think that you may be confusing hydrochloric( muriatic) acid with hydrofluoric acid which is the really mean one.
I use dilute hydrochloric regularly. I live in an area in Spain which is virtually soft chalky limestone and everything furs up with the stuff. The toilets get a regular helping and so does the kettle- and it doesn't affect me- and it doesn;t affect me etc.

For J Tiers and his reference to yet another English disease- we made a TV programme called Rising Damp. Sadly, allmost all the chief actors seemed to have died off. I wonder why?

As for damp- damp, the sales of pain killers and cures for arthritis exceed the national debt. Do you honestly think that I can't spell? It is the Arthur-itis that causes the problem.

Now where did I put the cod liver oil, the vitamin tablets and the glucosamine and chondroitin tablets- and my spectacles?
Matron- where have put my specs? What- now where are my hearing aids- what- did you say, Matron? Oh, s***, I've tripped up on the bed pan.

On a more serious note- Britain isn't the only european country to suffer from damp.
I live on the coast in the Balearics and the winter mould is such that I would not want to winter there. the woodwork in my shed turns white with mould, the bedding turns black unless carefully washed dried and aired in the sun and the leeches parade around the garden, which grows like the Triffids. A regular supply of modestly intoxicating beverages is the recommended way to tackle the problem of curing damp.
My wife fills me with booze- and I do it!

For the poor folks coming back to the real dramas of rebuilding lives and homes, they have my prayers and sympathy.

Norm

Paul Alciatore
10-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Real story from a NO native. My wife's cousin's home was floded in Hurricane Betsy back in the 60s. Water at the 6 or 7 foot level in her living room. The house was wood frame construction with a brick exterior. They striped away the carpets and walls on the inside and cleaned up. Not sure what they used but it worked. New dry wall, etc. and the house was as good as new. I visited many times after that and you couldn't detect even a hint of any problem.

Perhaps they didn't have mold in the 60s.

Or perhaps they didn't have such "well informed" news people.

Paul A.

Norman Atkinson
10-06-2005, 11:12 AM
My prayers were partly answered.
The post came after my little thingy to you.Masonic Quarterly carried a front page spread:-

Katrina:relief chest opened.

The photo was poor people, each carrying a plastic container- probably with all their worldly goods back to what they once called home.
Inside was the news that emergency grants of of $50,000 had already been sent.
$35,000 had gone to the American Red Cross and $15,000 to the Masonic Service Assoc of North America, which is co-ordinating disaster relief on behalf of Grand Lodges in the region. It went on to appeal for further funds from English brothers.

This is similar to when 9-11 came and a million dollars arrived before the Governments of the World woke up to the need.

At least, I now know what happens to the money on our charity plate.

Not enough, David, but it never is.

God Bless

Norman

madman
10-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Norman youre probably right about the acid. Im not too bright. It does sound quite nasty all of it. Thanx for the clarification.