PDA

View Full Version : my wife says i have a problem

andy_b
10-06-2005, 09:57 PM
i suppose this could go under the "Machine Tools on the History Channel" thread, but then i wouldn't get to post the cool topic title.

so i happened to be surfing the channels tonight when i noticed the Machine Tools show was on. i was watching with my 4-year-old daughter (and trying to get her interested in this stuff) and every time they'd show something i'd say, "there's one of them in the garage and we can look at it next time you're out there."

eventually my wife says, "don't you think you have a problem when everything they show on a history of machine tools show is something you have and you don't own a machine shop?"

i corrected her and told her i DO own a machine shop.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

and no, i don't own one of everything on the show. i don't have a planer, or EDM machine, or anything CNC.

by the way, my daughter was unimpressed by my collection of old iron. i, on the other hand, enjoyed going, "i have one of them. i have one of them...."
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

andy b.

cwhorton
10-06-2005, 10:39 PM
That's a great show. I've seen it a couple times but never with enough notice to set up the DVD recorder.
That dude in the Cincinnatti museum sure has a sweet job. Imagine having THAT duty http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

------------------
Charlie
Eastern Maine, USA

Steve Stube
10-07-2005, 01:42 AM
She's 4, about the right time to build her a replica Machine Shop outfitted with scale model machines, lathe, mill, drill press, planer, benches and complete set of precision measuring tools. Then introduce dolls Machinist Bob and Rosie the riveter. By the time she rearranges the shop a few times using the correct names for the furniture you will have a shop buddy for life. Of coarse you will have a fair bit more experience in the construction of this dream shop.

[This message has been edited by Steve Stube (edited 10-07-2005).]

ERBenoit
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Wife's crap is invading and cluttering my shop area. Now THATS a problem! I have enough of my own stuff for cluttering up my shop area. I don't need help.

Her answer: You have too much (she calls it "junk") machinery.

Two lathes (one in rehab), two mills, surface grinder, cutter and tool grinder, (also in rehab).

Too much? I think not.

Tin Falcon
10-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Andy:
If you were out at a bar drinking, gambling and chasing other women then you would have a problem. My wife sometimes gets on me for spending too much time on the computer (Mostly on this board) and occasionaly too much time in the shop. But she is mosly supportive. Make your wife somthing nice in the shop that she would like (Candlsticks worked for me) your "Problem" will disapear. A simple model steam engine would be a neat christmas present for your daughter!!on second thought maybe in a couple of years.
Nice to hear you are getting your daughter interested in the shop. Keep it up and she will know more than some engineers. It is interesting how things seem more real to people especialy kids when they see it on TV.
Jim

John Lawson
10-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Do what LBSC did: Bring the tool into the house and set them up. That way, you won't have to worry about heating the garage or an argument about steel chips in the bathtub.

bobbybeef
10-07-2005, 08:36 PM
You dont have a problem;you have a treasure.Look after her and she will grow up to be just like her mother.
I have a 3 year and eleven month grand daughter and she has yet to be really attracted to the machine end of the garage.She likes what it can produce for her toy house. She has a wooden railway set and seems happy with that.
Be happy andy b,
Regards,
bobby.