PDA

View Full Version : PAYDAY!!

hoffman
10-09-2005, 02:49 PM
I had posted about my little gate project earlier and got paid today.

Materials: steel/ $200, Had to get a spool of wire/ $12, Broke a bandsaw blade/ $12.

It took about 8 hours and while the saw was running I managed to rebuild my lathe chuck,(It's a lot smoother but still runs out) and fool with the tig.

I got $350 cash today and the guy was real happy and wants some more. Not a big deal but pretty cool for a hobby shop.

I told him about the price increase and he was fine with it...

Norman Warfield
10-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey,Hey,Hey, Payday today....

Congrats Hoff' it's damn nice when a hobby can be self supporting. Even if it's sometimes.

As far as the paydays go, I hope you get a lot more of them.

When the eagle flies in your own place, it seems to fly higher and prouder.

------------------
Norm'
If it's not broken, why do I keep trying to fix it....

Rustybolt
10-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Hey! That's good news. Congradulations.

gkman11
10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Congratulations. In addition to making a few bucks and learning a little about bidding work, you did something that most people obviously never can. Build something that works. Build something that will last in a world full of stuff that doesn’t. How many poorly constructed gates have we all fought getting through and cussed getting closed?

I never could bid anything right and sometimes the only satisfaction I got out of a job was building something of quality that would be of service to somebody for a long time. A reasonable profit is fine but even without; I haven't missed a meal yet. There must be some Order in the universe. Think I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. Hope you can do the same.

hoffman
10-09-2005, 07:52 PM
I was going to use store bought hinges but they were $3/each. I got enough stock to make 20 of them for $10 and the guy said they were better than the store bought ones that the last guy used.

I worked the crap out of my little HF band saw... The next project is going to be coolant for it but I'm waiting on a plasma cutter to make the pan.

Paul Alciatore
10-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Good going!

Paul A.

Flatline's Up!
10-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Now about that $20 you owe me...

J/K... Congrats H on the pay in! Makes me feel great each time someone likes what I create enough to give me decent money for it.
Doesn't matter what it is, could be a widget, or the Empire State Building, it still makes me feel like I've really accomplished something.

Congrats again man,
Britt

Your Old Dog
10-10-2005, 12:00 PM
How cool is it to be able to do a government job while working for yourself? LOL Smooth move!....

Swarf&Sparks
10-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Can I add my congratulations? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
And I second gkman11
No matter how warm and fuzzy some may feel at the end of their day, it's the people who make real things, that really work, that make this world keep turning on its creaky pivot.
Rgds, Lin