PDA

View Full Version : Hammerite paint?

tattoomike68
08-18-2001, 08:56 AM
Is this forum mess up?

Norman Atkinson
08-18-2001, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't know, Mike.

The last miracle came out the East- and I missed it. Maybe, it is coming out of the West and I don't want to miss it this time.

Meanwhile, eh?

Norm

Wayne02
02-05-2006, 11:21 PM
I notice that some people like to use "hammerite" paint on their shop made tools and such.

Is this some sort of high durability paint or something? Is it spray on, or brush on? Is it available through retail outlets like HD or Lowe's? Don't suppose it costs .99 a can like the flat-black spray paint I get from HD?

What do you use to paint your shop made tools, fixtures, gadgets etc? Do you spray them or brush them?

Thanks
Wayne

CCWKen
02-05-2006, 11:55 PM
For the big items like the Gantry, E-wheel, Stands, Power Hammers, Frame jigs, etc. I use automotive paint with hardener. It stands up almost as well as powder coat. For small stuff, I just use a rattle can or powder coat depending on use or time. I've even ground and polished a few to look like chrome.

I've never used the hammer tone or the wrinkle. I don't particularly like the look. A nice shinny tool floats my boat. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Norman Atkinson
02-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Wayne02,
Keep your money in your pocket and go the way the professionals go.

I've tried to use the stuff since it was made just round the corner from me- 50 odd years ago. I find it continues to fail me.

Trash can, Poubelle, Bin Day on Friday.
Thanks for reminding me.

Norm

Forrest Addy
02-06-2006, 01:19 AM
The virture of Hammerite is that it covers ugly well, is foolproof to apply, easy to patch.

The vices are is the stuff is soft and easily marked up, sags like crazy if you're not careful, and it's expensive for what you get.

I prefer a common alkyd enamel for most paint work. It's much more durable and its easy to patch and touch up. It's also low in cost.

I know lots of people like catlyzed finishes but with shop tools the paintwork is always getting beat up or eroded with the chip wash. It's a PITA to catylize paint just to touch up a little spot with. With alkyd you can prep the patch, skim off the rind out of the paint can, and brush on a patch before you close the shop for the night. The alkyd paint will be a bit soft but ready the next morning.

sauer38h
02-06-2006, 03:44 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wayne02:
Is this some sort of high durability paint or something?</font>

Not particularly durable, no. Its chief advantage is entertainment - it's the only paint I know that doesn't just sit there. The hammer stuff spits and fizzes for a minute or so after being sprayed on, as it generates the texture. For paint, that's pretty entertaining.

It's much more durable if you bake it after it dries.

Forrest Addy
02-06-2006, 03:55 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sauer38h:
I know that doesn't just sit there. The hammer stuff spits and fizzes for a minute or so after being sprayed on, as it generates the texture. For paint, that's pretty entertaining. </font>

Well put, Mr Sauer!!

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 02-06-2006).]

Norman Atkinson
02-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Oh, Yeah?

Mine was baked in the Mediterannean sun and peeled and fell off.

Hammer(sh)ite?

Norm

Your Old Dog
02-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Not particularly durable, no. Its chief advantage is entertainment - it's the only paint I know that doesn't just sit there. The hammer stuff spits and fizzes for a minute or so after being sprayed on, as it generates the texture. For paint, that's pretty entertaining.

It's much more durable if you bake it after it dries.

</font>

Well, we were going to the theatre next weekend but maybe our entertainment plans are changing!

Alistair Hosie
02-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Norm said

Mine was baked in the Mediterannean sun and peeled and fell off

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif well Norm that's what comes of sunbathing in the nude http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair

Evan
02-06-2006, 06:47 AM
I like wrinkle finish paint for certain things. Black wrinkle finish has the singular advantage of not reflecting light even at a low angle of incidence. That make it good for certain applications with optical systems. I have used the hammer finish and do find it tougher, especially if baked. It is really tricky to apply so it looks good, especially on large areas.

As Sauer said, a good bake really helps. It drives out the volatiles and really toughens up the paint with single component paints. Don't do it in the kitchen oven unless you are single (or wish to become so).

Dawai
02-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Well that explains my buddys reaction.. (Normans comment) he said, "that looks like Hammered dog ****".

I was going to paint my claw foot tub outsides with it, got it, the wire brush and all ready.

Now I am thinkin.

sch
02-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Your approach to painting depends on your prior experience painting, your tools and equipment available and the ability to move and mask what you are painting. Those that have access to cranes, lifts and forklifts on a 40x60 concrete shop floor with 10x20 powder coat booth in the corner with 25kw of heat lamps will do it one way, others who have to paint insitu with the 2400# mill next to the lathe and no compressor or paint gun will have to do it another. If this is the 14th machine you have refinished and you did flames and the American flag on your last '73 Chevy van repaint you have one set of expectations. If this machine will sit in your basement til after your funeral then you will have another. With all that as proviso I have been pleased with the rattle can Rustoleum Hammered paint I put on my VanNorman #12 mill a couple of years ago. Cleanup of the mill, partly disassembled, took about a month and it took 5 cans total but it has held up to the oil drips and what swarf I have thrown at it well. The color variances that the hammered look provides do mask underlying irregularities nicely. The rattle can comes in 2 shades of green, 2 gray and a sort of brown/gold and a blue. It is at both HD and Lowes.
Steve

[This message has been edited by sch (edited 02-06-2006).]

Norman Atkinson
02-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Steve,
Question -where was Hammerite first made- and who was the bloke and where did he work before he went-West?

Don't look it up in Google, it's wrong.

said he, clearing the remains of Maleic Anhydride from his lungs! Oops.
N.

sauer38h
02-06-2006, 09:31 AM
The RustOLeum site lists quite a festive array of colors. I like the black (goes good with everything!) -

http://rustoleum.com/Product.asp?ddf=73&frm_product_id=21&SBL=1

They have it in spray cans and quarts. I don't think I could stand the excitement of brushing it on.

Wayne02
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
The RustOLeum site lists quite a festive array of colors. I like the black (goes good with everything!) -

http://rustoleum.com/Product.asp?ddf=73&frm_product_id=21&SBL=1
</font>
"Can be applied directly over rust"

And here I was wire brushing everything clean before paint... silly me http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Wayne02 (edited 02-06-2006).]

Duct Taper
02-06-2006, 11:19 AM
QUOTE: "The hammer stuff spits and fizzes for a minute or so after being sprayed on, as it generates the texture. For paint, that's pretty entertaining."

Cool. When the stress of life gets to be a little too much, I like to relax and chill out. Watching paint dry is near the top of my list. I will have to try this stuff. I hope it is not too exciting for me to handle. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif

Norman Atkinson
02-06-2006, 11:31 AM
And Wayne 02,

Just look what happened to me.

Another candidate for the Vatican Choir

Normie

CCWKen
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Well put Steve!

I think the best advise anyone can give is just do it the way you like with the materials you have available. When you're gone, the next guy can change it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

TECHSHOP
02-06-2006, 12:32 PM
So the .99$ spray-bomb at the wood pile is good enough?

If it is "small" I paint it in the wheelbarrow;

If it is "bigger" I paint it in the truck bed http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

If it those places don't fit then it gets its color on the grass by the wood pile.

Whatever color I have enough cans to finish.

Only have used "hammerite" paint on MDF type things

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

sch
02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Norm: No idea where Hammerite comes from. I like the finish though.

Hammer rustoleum did ok on some plywood/wood shelves I installed between the stands of my lathe. Took a lot of coats with unprimed first trial, so rest of the assemblage was coated over white primer, took two coats to cover. Hammer spray is closer to $5/can, I used 5 cans for the mill and 4 drawers with about half a can left. On the mill the paint on it was about the same as the light green rustoleum so that is what I used, two coats overall.
Steve

Norman Atkinson
02-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Steve,
I am delighted at your success.
I have been into Hammerite since the early 50's.Guy worked at Resinous Chemicals in Dunston and wwent to a tiny little pit village called Mickley. Half way between Halfway and Branch End( Seriously).
Look up Thomas Bewick,the Engraver if you doubt me. The experts haven't a clue either.

I do know how to put paint on- or did.
I can't do a respray in two minutes but I can- or could do all the panel beating, welding, wheeling, and aligning to half a milli. Then prepare, phosphate and whatever!

And my Hammerite still falls off! Mind you, it was within peeing distance of 300 foot sea cliffs. Peeing and Hammerite are my problems. Both seem to be constantly dropping!

Cheers

Norm

railfancwb
02-06-2006, 02:07 PM
If you only have partial rattle cans in various colors, just think how nice that refurbished lathe or mill or shaper will look in camo! Charles

Dawai
02-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Norm:

IN the 70s I painted a harley, silver over black, two coat application. Paint was called Vreeble. Can't remember the manufacturer.

I had to clear coat it six times to get it flat.

It cracked open just like this hammered stuff and showed the black under the silver topcoat.
It won three shows.

Ahh, I forgot to ask the question: Scattered brain like a bird gun....

Is it, was it related? it worked the same way, almost like spraying oil enamel over laquuer. It sat there and split, parted like the red sea.

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 02-07-2006).]

sauer38h
02-07-2006, 07:38 AM
I knew someone who painted a car fender with black wrinkle. He said he couldn't recommend it.

paulgrandy
02-07-2006, 08:22 AM
That must be it. The paint. I gave 3 Leprechauns 3 cans of Hammerite and had them fix this power hacksaw up and I didn't even get a bid on ebay.

http://img142.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc251&image=b866d_PowerHacksaw.jpg

Tinkerer
02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by paulgrandy:
That must be it. The paint. I gave 3 Leprechauns 3 cans of Hammerite and had them fix this power hacksaw up and I didn't even get a bid on ebay.
</font>

http://img142.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc251ℑ=b866d_PowerHacksaw.jpg

Well you did a fine job but should of stayed with one color... either silver or gold. I'm sure it would of sold but it just looks too busy with all three mixed together.

I like the hammer look and if you let it set up a few days before putting into service the finish will last better.

[This message has been edited by Tinkerer (edited 02-07-2006).]

Norman Atkinson
02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Note to David,

Quite simply, you were using two different paint systems. The top solvent was cutting into the other like a paint remover.

We used to put Paraffin wax into paint removers so that the solvent would not evaporate too quickly.

As easy as that.

Cheers Mate

Norm

Mcgyver
02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I tried the tremclad hammer paint, didn't like it very much. does the rustoleum line do a better job? Evan or other canucks, any suggestions on wrinkle paint available in here in Canada?

Evan
02-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Tremclad has wrinkle paint. With the wrinkle paint the amount of wrinkle produced is very sensitive to the coating thickness. Also, for best results it should be baked as it dries at maybe 150 to 200F.

With wrinkle paint the thinner the coat the finer the wrinkles. If it is too thin it won't wrinkle predictably. You need to spray on at least two coats, the second one before the first begins to wrinkle. If the temperature isn't warm enough it won't wrinkle properly.

Norman Atkinson
02-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Evan,

I do wish that you would avoid the use of 'wrinkles.' I've been in this Hammerite lark since the early fifties.
I've got wrinkles in my Zimmer frame- and I do not wish to be reminded further.
I have already confessed to bits peeling off.
What other dastardly references about problem items are to be uncovered- OOH?

Norm

Evan
02-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Try botox treatment. Wait, forget that. That's only for small numbers of wrinkles. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Norman Atkinson
02-07-2006, 11:54 AM
With Fiends like you, who needs enemas?

Bloody thing isn't spelling right again.
Been upseting David as well.
Got me Lard oil. Last bit in the North East of England. Does it remove wrinkles?
Thanks, Mate.

Norm

Evan
02-07-2006, 12:12 PM
"[Thou] hath more hair than wit, and more faults than hairs, and more wealth than faults."

Heh. Oh, not you Norman. You might like this little gadget I found. It's from the Master.

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/index.html?

Norman Atkinson
02-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Evan,

You certainly know how to flatter people.

I like " Thou art open- to incontinency"
The punctuation is mine and so is the Black Spot- from where I sit!

Hey Ho, Little Riddles.

Norm.

Evan
02-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Let me know how that lard oil works out, although I don't think it will do much for the spot.

Wayne02
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Well, naturally I couldn't follow the good advice and had to try the mighty hammerite. I think I wasted my $13 (for two cans).

I followed the directions to a T. Can and part were at room temp, can was shaken up good etc. I couldn't get that stuff to come out the nozzle with any sort of consistency if my life depended on it. It went from fog (with little or no material) to a pinpoint stream with little propellant.

This of course made for interesting painting. Given the inconsistency of the the application it is no surprise the the finish dried just as inconsistent. The nozzle would plug up if you so much as looked at it wrong. I finally gave up on both cans. Should probably take them back. Think I'll go back to the .99 flat black house brand spray cans.

Tinkerer
03-02-2006, 03:43 PM
The nozzle that comes with the can has a funky tip to it.. they attempted to give it a vertical flat fan spray pattern... instead of a coned one. Try swapping the nozzle from one of the cheap .99 cans. Give it another try. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

PeteM
03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I've been happy with both the Krylon and Rustoleum brands of hammer finish paint. For example, did the exterior of a large sandblast cabinet which is holding up nicely a few years later.

Often start with a warm surface and use a heat gun when using the wrinkle finish paint (Zynolyte brand) -- seems to help control the wrinkling and harden it a bit.

wierdscience
03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I use Hammerite and the Rustoleum knock off regular,never had a problem with either.You do need to shake the cans for at least 2-3 minutes each thou.

I also use Krylon Rust Tough enamel in the gallon cans along with the're VMnaptha thinner,good paint cheap.

Rustybolt
03-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Norman said"Got me Lard oil. Last bit in the North East of England. Does it remove wrinkles?"

It did on the pig.;-)

Norman Atkinson
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Rustybolt,
Gee, I give up, having bitten off more than I could chew.

All that I could come up with was a mutinous date in 1857.

Or have I?

Norm

TECHSHOP
03-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Norman A:

As a man that has the ability to lard one's speech with metaphors, perhaps you are over thinking the melted down and clarified fat of swine http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Norman Atkinson
03-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Not I, kind Sir!

That was Sir Francis Bacon.

Norm