PDA

View Full Version : Misleading advertising a lighthearted view

Alistair Hosie
10-22-2002, 04:00 PM
I remember when I was a young man about nineteen we had a boy worked with us doing deliveries he was about fifteen and was desperate to grow a moustache.He didn't have the strength ,then one day someone pointed him to an advert in one of the national newspapers .The advert stated that if anyone unable to grow a moustache would send of £1.00 and try their new formula which guaranteed they would have a moustache within three to four weeks.
The poor lad duly sent of his £1.00 and the little bottle of liquid arrived with the clearest of instructions .He was to apply a drop or two of this to the bald spot and rub furiously every morning and night.After a few days passed he would stare each morning hopefully in front of the mirror and constantly ask us in turn if we could see an improvement.Some of us were honest and said we could not others tried to make him feel better and encouraged him half heartedly saying the could definately see something sprouting were once their was just baldness.He tried it as per instructions and within two weeks a little parcel arrived in the post with a false moustache they had kept their word and he had indeed a moustache within the alloted time span Alistair http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Rotate
10-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Alistair,

That reminds me of an ad in a new paper that claimed to reduce your long distance phone bill to zero. Once the money was sent, you would receive an envelope with a note that read "disconnect your telephone".

There are many scam artists out there so be aware. My mother always said, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

BTW, is Alistair your real given name?

Albert

SGW
10-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Then there was the "guaranteed way to kill flies." It was two wooden blocks with the instructions, "Place fly on block A. Hit with block B."

docsteve66
10-22-2002, 10:01 PM
The scam(s) that tickle me are "get UP TO XX Percent" or you money back or twice your money. So you put their gadget on yur car (or head or foot or pecker). If your gas milage goes down they performed as promised. Only if you get OVER xx per cent can you get your money back. Or grow hair over MORE than hafl the head. Or Save MORE than 25 percent on your heating bills. Or even it they save you more than 25 per cent on your insurance. I am suprised that people still fall for it. People sure hear only what they want to hear.

lynnl
10-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Steve that's a good point. I'd never even thought that ad gimmick through. Tho I pretty much always ignore those type ads anyway. Another one is "Lifetime Warrenty". Most people assume if means THEIR lifetime. And sometimes sellers, such as Sears (e.g. Craftsman tools) do apply that meaning. But any 'fly by night' company can say "Oh it's broken is it? Well that's the end of it's lifetime."
Of course who keeps their original sales receipt for every toaster, hair dryer, etc. anyway!

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 10-23-2002).]

Thrud
10-23-2002, 11:59 PM
Steve
I have a friend that installed extremely strong magnets on his air intake, rad hose and fuel line. Nothing else was done to this suburban. It was chassis dyno tuned before and checked with an infrared monitor for emmisions and milage checked. The scary part is this. After the install, his milage went up and emmisions were reduced. I have a science background and I told him the guy was full of BS and not to waste his money - his explanation of what the magnets did was rediculous (realigning the molecules structure) but I cannot explain why his milage went up and emmissions went down.

The other mystery was that he had an .1 micron bypass oil system that we installed and the oil was pristine before the magnets and black after the magnets. This sudden occurance of carbon particulates in the oil is troublesome and freaky - the engine is spiffy clean with a boroscope. Propane normally never gets the oil dirty anyway, so it freaked me out.

docsteve66
10-24-2002, 04:17 AM
Dave: another scary one. When I was running a maintenance outfit we had water treament problems. 2" pipes near closed with multicolored deposits. Sales man wanted to sell us some magnets for treatment. I said nope, it won't work. He took me to a well known company who claimed the treatment had reduced their problems. We both agreed it was impossible to put a magnet on a ferrous pipe and affect the water, nor wouuld it work on plastic pipe. but he said it worked. Salesman wanted to install for free, let us keep records- but he would in return have permission to publish the data along with our name. I refused- wanted to try it. would have done the record keeping, but our materials lab said nope- they wanted no part of it.
I am still ashamed to have been so gutless. But what would have been said if it WORKED?
Lord I am glad I no longer work for the Gov't. Even happier I no longer work.

Spooky things happen.
Steve

SGW
10-24-2002, 07:38 AM
I think one simple explanation of the better mileage is that it's quite likely that after installing whatever whoopie-do device, the person unconsciously drives more conservatively, which is the real reason the mileage improves. It would be instructive to check after, say, a year or so when the novelty has worn off.

lynnl
10-24-2002, 09:44 AM
I think you're on to something there SGW. That's why blind and double blind studies are used in the medical world.

trap
10-24-2002, 10:14 PM
ok send me 19.95 and i will send you the explination of this mystery. it really works too a point and if you doubt me than check out Detroit Diesel's magic thing they put in their fuel lines. I also remember company's that put magnets in their fuel lines back in the flat head Ford days.

Keep your money ..... i'm too busy to answer anyway. Magnets attract metal particals in the fuel which mess up floats in the carburetors and fuel injectors. No other majic, Send money anyway.

Jim Hubbell
10-25-2002, 03:00 AM
In the '50s& '60s I tended an 80HP fire-tube boiler used for direct injection hot water etc. Magnet salesman wanted us to try his product. I asked a Calif. State boiler insp. what was the scoop. He said he had condemed some boilers that had scaled and burned after using mags. I left them alone!

docsteve66
10-25-2002, 12:07 PM
I get very tired of hearing about certin "facts" always backed up by some story as proof. Double blind studies, carefully reviewed are sure a step in the right direction.

Used to be running your airconditioner in car cost you three miles (the number varied) per gallon. Every body Knew that!!!. Word finaly drifts out that it cost you all right- if you keep the windows closed. That at road speeds, you gain MPG by running A/C with windows up. Any way I really did not care. But wife bought a car with a MPG (fancy rig of a computer, instantanous, average, range to go etc-) a "sun roof", four door sedan. Got it out on Interstate. cruise control on. rolled windows up and down, A/C on off. Gonna win me a steak dinner with the info. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Steve

Dave Burnett
10-25-2002, 05:22 PM
If I bought all of the gas saving devices on the market and put them on my car it would make it's own gas.

gizmo2
10-25-2002, 08:26 PM
Been making my own gas for years, but never thought of saving it... Your mileage may vary, but you definitely need to keep moving.

docsteve66
10-25-2002, 10:30 PM
Dave Burnett: Dad used to say that he would buy the gas saver (the sales men were visiting job sites) but it was too much trouble. he had put so many on that he had to stop every hundred miles and dip the gas out.

He did put a water injector system in a 57 chrysler that he claimed made engine run smoother, get better gas mileage. Revcon Motor homes had one that some claimed worked, but no longer sold. Comments?
Steve

dhammer
10-26-2002, 01:29 AM
I had an old John Deere D, had a water tank mounted next to gas tank. When the engine temp reached 180 deg or so you could open the petcock on the water tank and you could pickup one gear when plowing.

Regards,

Steve

mike thomas
10-26-2002, 08:50 AM
lynnl, blind and double blind? Hell, that's how I do most things in the shop. Blind while studying on it and double blind while trying to put it into practice. Mike

Crazy Ed
10-26-2002, 01:07 PM
Yes, remember well the 'water injection' of the ole popin Johnnies.

But it worked!! Kept them from over heating and gave an increase in performance. As long as you didn't open it tooooo wide.

------------------

Thrud
10-26-2002, 08:03 PM
SGW:
I would agree with you except for one thing. The truck never move from the chassis dyno and the milage test was done before and after on the dyno, in the shop. So you tell me. I know the show Car & Driver also installed the same magnets and although they say they did not get any improvement in economy, the emmisions did reduce a drastic amount. It is still spook and I can not explain it. Since propane is propane, and both tanks were filled from the same vendor at the same time, I have no explanation. Voodoo. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Cravy Ed;
Water injection is quite popular on high horspower turbo istallations to help prevent detonation. The water vapour actually cools down the intake charge a significant amount.

They are using Propane injection on diesels now just like Nitrous on gasoline vehicles. Propane has a MON and RON in excess of 125 so it is ideal for the diesels 17+:1 compression ratio.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-26-2002).]