PDA

View Full Version : lorch lathe new york city

plener
08-17-2005, 04:53 AM
anyone in the city that has a old lorch jewlers lathe--i just got one and need advice on the milling attachment--i do not klnow model number but motor is seperated--i have a catelog--i know very little about lathes other than self taught

Norman Atkinson
08-18-2005, 03:31 AM
Peter,
I think that you have a very nice piece of machinery. Probably, using something like WD40 will clean it up- without damaging its high precision.
We are talking about capital Q quality!

I have a 10mm Pultra made by Smart and Brown with most of the trimmings.

Might I suggest that you regard all these clock watch and instruments as fundamentally the same. Have a look at any information for one- and use it for your lathe. Accessories for a Pultra will fit any number of small lathes- and vice versa.
Motors are no different- they can be adapted to serve any lathe.

Going on a bit, you are now in a position to arm yourself with the many classic books on clocks, watches and instrument making and repairs which continue to be available.

I hope that you will enjoy having such a machine

Norman

bobbybeef
10-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Norman has said what you need to know,but you have a real decision to make. you must decide if you and your eyes are up to watch work or whether you will have more fun on clockwork.
I do clock work and find that most of the time I am making bits for the lathe or mill to help me make the clock. john Shadle has a really good clock page and most of the links are there. The TAIG chaps also have a good Yahoo page. I dont know about watches
as fingers and eyes are not up to the job.
good luck and keep us posted.
Bobby.