PDA

View Full Version : Which to keep?

panchula
10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
I currently have more lathes than room. I have to part with either a South Bend 9" with a 42" bed, QC gearbox, steady rest, new crossfeed nut, two speed underdrive pulley. Or an Atlas 10" with a 54" horizontal mount, lever collet closer, bed mounted six position turret tailstock, regular tailstock, 3 phase motor w/VFD, QC gearbox. The Atlas came from a production environment and the carriage gears are pretty worn.

I've replaced the bed on the SB and have an unused bed for the Atlas. I like the greater rigidity of the SB, but am tempted my the large work envelope of the Atlas. I've had the SB running for a couple of years and just picked up the Atlas a couple of months ago.

I haven't used the Atlas to any degree where I'm comfortable in judging it's capability. It's been more working on getting it working.

Any comments from those who have experience with both?

-Mike

ERBenoit
10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Have a South Bend, never owned/used an Atlas. Can't help in a comparison. Sounds like the features the SB has, the Atlas doesn't, and vica versa.

By ALL POSSIBLE means TRY to keep them both. Exhaust EVERY effort to keep both of them before you part with one.

As long as you can close the door, you have room.

Paul F
10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
I'd take the South Bend...
But then, I've been dreaming of having a taper attachment.

Any way to adapt that turret and collet closer to the South Bend? Then I'd say SB for sure!

Of course, the only things I know about the Atlas is what I've read... never seen or used one myself. I have used several South Bends.

Paul F.

Swarf&Sparks
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I wish I had to make a tough decision like that. Ah well, back to the 9 x 20 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

CCWKen
10-10-2005, 01:58 PM
What a sad decision. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif I'd keep the SB and use the cash from the Atlas to get more tooling or add to other shop improvements. I can see having two lathes but not two medium sized lathes. A large and small come in mighty handy around here.

webbch
10-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I'd make a hoist for the lathe I couldn't use and hoist it up out of the way so you can still have it later on when you decide to enlarge your shop http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Chad

quasi
10-10-2005, 04:28 PM
I have had both, keep the South Bend.

bob308
10-10-2005, 05:32 PM
i started many years agowith an atlas- craftsman 12" evne had a milling atachment for it. but then i got a 14 1/2" sb and a
a-c mill. i got rid of the atlas lathe and upgarded to a 9" sb.
so i would keep the sb.

IOWOLF
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Sell them both and get a very good lathe with all the bells and whistles.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

panchula
10-12-2005, 11:06 AM
My instinct was telling me to keep the South Bend. I'll keep the 4 jaw the Atlas came with and see if the collet closer can be mounted to the South Bend. The closer has RECOR.B-L cast into the lever. Does this ring any bells?

-Mike

madman
10-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Build a styeel rack and mount one over the other then if you change your mind just flip them around haha.