X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Foster
    • Jun 2002

10" CNC lathe

Here is a picture of the 10" Rockwell lathe I converted to CNC.
    5 TPI ball screw for Z axis with 880 inch ounce stepper and Acme 10 TPI with 440 stepper for X.

[This message has been edited by John Foster (edited 09-26-2005).]

• lugnut
    • Sep 2004

Looks great!

[This message has been edited by lugnut (edited 09-26-2005).]

[This message has been edited by lugnut (edited 09-26-2005).]

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

• rockrat
      • Jun 2003

Looks like a winner. Any other details?
      rock
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

• John Foster
        • Jun 2002

Rock, see "Test for CNC lathe" on page 2. John

Comment

• Bruce Griffing
          • Jan 2003

Where is page 2?

Comment

• John Stevenson
            • Mar 2001

He means this thread on page 2 of the General list.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Pete B
              • Oct 2004

John, Thats the Coolist Rockwell I ever seen. Thanks for posting the Pics. Now since your a rockwell owner like me I'd like to ask you a question. I've been living without a dead center for my faceplate for years. Now I know the spindle takes a 4c collet but what taper would be on the dead center. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance. Pete. P.S. I dont mean to take over your post.

Comment

• John Foster
                • Jun 2002

Pete, thank you for the kind words. Remember this lathe was rescued from the scrap heap minus a tailstock and saddle. I made replacements for both.
                Your question: Rockwell lists a "spindle adapter" Pt. #414-02-105-5001. A quick check shows large diameter 1.018, dia 2" down taper at .935 for a TPI of about .0415. (WRONG -WRONG - WRONG - I just cut the taper on the CNC lathe and it is right at .022 TPI. Nice on the CNC as you can change the taper 1/1000 at a time if you want, no changing the tailstock and wondering if you tightened it down the same each time or bumped it the wrong way. It's great!) This gets you close enough to start to make one. You would have to remove the collet drive pin so that you could "wring" your trial piece. Or - just make a 4C collet blank with a spud sticking out to be turned to 60آ°. (Both this and the sleeve require a keyway to be cut so you need a mill. The sleeve takes a tapered keyway but no harm if straight.
                Or - just turn a piece of stock, in a collet, to 60آ°. This is my favorite as you can stick the piece out just the right amount to fit your dog. John

[This message has been edited by John Foster (edited 09-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by John Foster (edited 10-09-2005).]

Comment

• Pete B
                  • Oct 2004

John, Thanks for the info, I do own a mill so the keyway wont be a problem. Did you ever get your belt slippage problem solved? Did your lathe come with the collet set-up or did you scrowge that to? Thanks again, Pete

Comment

• John Foster
                    • Jun 2002

A large correction is in order for the internal taper of the headstock spindle.
                    Since this is CNC I had to program on the radius and my mind was in that "mode" so I stated the taper I was setting, not the taper per inch..
                    Double my figure and you will be very close.
                    I finally set a factory adapter up in a differentlathe, using two dial indicators and came up with .040 for TPI. In my estimation that did not fit as well as one I had made at .042 TPI. I did remove the collet drive pin and wrung the taper in the spindle and .042 looked best also.
                    Take your pick. John

Comment

Working...
                    X