PDA

View Full Version : Boring Problem

OhModelMaker
10-14-2005, 09:44 AM
I am making what looks like the nose section of a missle out of solid alouminum stock. I have to bore out the inside to match the taper of the missle cone. How would I go about getting this done. I have tapered something before but never reverse like this. My taper has always started from the inside and tapered outwards.

rbjscott
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Tapering an ID. and OD. with a taper attachment is basically the same. You can also form the ID. as well. What size is the piece and what machine are you using

madman
10-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Generate the outside profile using mastercam then reproduce for the inside. I cut steps on the outside blue it and file to shape goes great very quick. Then just use a small long shank burr on the inside to clean out. After you produce the steps inside the bore using your mas cam dimensions cleaning it out is a snap. It will look pro Local high school teacher would probably help you with the mascam stuff if you dont have a clue about it. I use a lathe with a digital readout for odd shapes but a conventional lathe with dials will also work just as well.

OhModelMaker
10-14-2005, 11:57 AM
I am using a Fryer CNC lathe but have never had to do this operation before. I currently don't have Mastercam. We are waiting for the new fiscal year before I am able to get it. Thanks for all your help.

CCWKen
10-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Model? How big is the cone?

How about making your own cutting tool? Or a cone rasp?