as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird
gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense
lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than
you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids,
are in charge).
> >
His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned
but
overbearing regulations were set in place.
> >
Reports of a six year old boy charged with sexual harassment for
kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using
mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an
unruly student only worsened his condition!
> >
It declined even further when schools were required to get
parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could
not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted
to have an abortion.
> >
Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments
became
contraband, churches became businesses and criminals received
better treatment than their victims. Common Sense finally gave
up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup
of coffee was hot, spilled it in her lap, and was awarded a huge
settlement.
> >
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and
Trust; his wife, Discretion;his daughter, Responsibility,; and
his son, Reason. He is survived by Two Stepbrothers, My Rights
and Ima Whiner.
> >
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was
gone. If you still know him, pass this on; if not you helped
kill him!

------------------
The tame Wolf !

bobbybeef
10-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I would like to tell you his/her/its name but the Freedom of Information costs are too high.
bobby.

madman
10-13-2005, 01:20 AM
screw common sence if we all had it wed never have any fun whatsoever. If we made it this far in life we got something that kept us alive so far and in my case it sure wasnt ever common sense.

Norman Atkinson
10-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Iowolf,
I applaud every word written.

We, poor sods, who agree with you- are stifled by Political Correctness.
Today, we live in a World which is run by a set of people who have not done an honest day's graft but because they have had the time- are in charge of us.

Norm

Duct Taper
10-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Does this have anything to do with the liberal viewpoint or the East Coast-West Coast-"Fly-over Country" attitude?

lynnl
10-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Well stated Wolf!

I'm passing that on to all that I know.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 10-13-2005).]

pockets
10-13-2005, 08:46 AM
This is an excellent observation of our time.

I have been called a lot of things, however,politically correct has never been one of them.My parents saw to it that I was raised with firm discipline, a sense of right and wrong and a good set of manners. It has been my experience that these will take you anywhere on the planet and, generally, keep you out of trouble.

Thanks for the posting, IOWOLF. If you truely believe what you posted, you're not that tame.

Regards,
Greg B.

IOWOLF
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
It was sent to me in a email,If I didnt believe in it I would never have posted it here, for I knew it would be critiqued.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

spope14
10-14-2005, 10:04 AM
I get that e-mail on a yearly basis it seems. Seems to be worth consideration.

Not to hammer, but a real thing that happened in our area. A lady now makes a living by doing "inspirational talks" based on all of these e-mails that get sent to us all on a regular basis. This is a part of her "long talk" for all people. She also uses "Teddy and the Teacher", "Kids say the darndest things", "1955" (how life differs now fom 1955), and that one about the things we used to do and eat back when that are now supposed to kill us. Heck, she even did a tape that shows up on little cable access stations.

Somebody now makes a real living off of doing talks out of these e-mails......that is what kills me the most....

Spin Doctor
10-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Always reminds me of "The Bill of NO Rights"

"You do not have a right to a free color TV etc"

Frank Ford
10-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Cute stuff, but a vestige of Common Sense might lead one to consider the possibility that at least some of those examples may have been cited way out of context.

For instance, the hot coffee affair was a bit more complex than the headlines implied - that's why the big damage award. If you read the full article, you'd have learned that the woman in question WAS burned because the coffee was too hot. And, the manager of the coffee dispensing restaurant had been repeatedly instructed by local health officials to turn down the heat after a number of previous customers were burned.

Seems to me that rather than killing off C. S., that example breathed a bit of life back into the patient. . .

IOWOLF
10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Bull$hit!

------------------
The tame Wolf !

BillH
10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
People need to be responsible for themsevles. If you get a cup of coffee that is too hot, it is your own fault for getting burned. You need to think in such a way that your not dependent upon some one else and when that some one else screws up it does not give you a right to seak damages.
This victim mentality needs a bullet to the head. Then may common sense return.

Leigh
10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Frank Ford:
...For instance, the hot coffee affair was a bit more complex than the headlines implied - that's why the big damage award. If you read the full article, you'd have learned that the woman in question WAS burned because the coffee was too hot. And, the manager of the coffee dispensing restaurant had been repeatedly instructed by local health officials to turn down the heat after a number of previous customers were burned.</font>

BULL****

Coffee is made with boiling water, which will burn if you come in contact with it.

This is just another case of a scumbag attorney trying to get rich at the expense of the consumer.

Who do you think paid that award??? You and I paid it. It came out of our pockets. And don't you ever think otherwise.

------------------
Leigh W3NLB

Leigh
10-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Hey IOWOLF,

I think you're a bit behind the times. I watched the funeral procession for CS about 50 years ago http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Leigh W3NLB

Leigh
10-14-2005, 03:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
...This victim mentality needs a bullet to the head. Then may common sense return.</font>

Hey Bill,

You're a lot nicer than I am. I'd gut-shoot it.

------------------
Leigh W3NLB

rkepler
10-14-2005, 03:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you read the full article, you'd have learned that the woman in question WAS burned because the coffee was too hot.</font>

No, the plaintiff *claimed* that the coffee was "too hot". The facts of the matter are different. Coffee is made by dripping water close to boiling through ground up coffee and serving the result. The generally accepted "best" temperature for the water is 185 degF, and most coffee makers will deliver coffee at that temperature. In my experience no one waits for a fresh pot of coffee to cool before serving it and so most everyone is being served coffee at the temperature the plaintiff was alleging was "too hot".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And, the manager of the coffee dispensing restaurant had been repeatedly instructed by local health officials to turn down the heat after a number of previous customers were burned.</font>

So far as I understand no one had complained to that specific McDonalds that the coffee was "too hot", but the corporation had had some number of complaints of that nature (something like 700, miniscule when you think of the billions of cups served). To my understanding there was no involvement of "local health officials". So far as I know there are no constraints on coffee temperature in Albuquerque. But then I've only lived here (a city block from the McDonalds involved) for 32 years and they may have snuck something in.

During the trial a reporter wandered around checking the delivery temperature of coffee at 10-12 places - convenience stores, gas stations, etc. and found that it was always pretty much right at the "too hot" temperature. These were the same sort of places that the plaintiff's lawyer claimed to have tested - that always made me wonder.

To this day I'm still amazed that someone would take a hot cup of coffee, squeeze it between their legs and pull the cover from it, spilling it all over. I'm further amazed that they would then hold the server of of coffee responsible for their screwup and find a jury of morons that would buy the story.

Most telling is that if you google this info most of first page of results are from *lawyers* defending the case, this I suspect is to encourage other clients with equally stupid claims to try and proceed with them.

[This message has been edited by rkepler (edited 10-14-2005).]

Frank Ford
10-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I absolutely agree about the litigious victim mentality we have in abundance these days, but if you were to read the details of the multiple cases of large judgments against McDonald's for hot coffee burns, you might be more inclined to agree with the courts that the party that needs to take responsibility is, in fact, the corporate entity.

Does it seem reasonable to you to serve coffee so much hotter than other restaurants that it can actually cause THIRD DEGREE burns if spilled? You know what a third degree burn is - permanent irreparable skin damage through all the layers of skin, and nerve damage, too. That's what the lady in question received, resulting in permanent burn scarring over something like 10 percent of her body! By the way, the car was parked when this particular spill occured, and even then she was unable to pull her clothing away fast enough to avoid serious burns.

Even though there had been previous judgments in the range of half a million dollars each in damages against McDonald's, I believe she only asked the company to pay her medical bills for the burn treatments and lost wages, which ran to $10-15,000. McDonald's sent her a check for eight hundred bucks, so she took them to court. If memory serves, it was the court that stuck McDonald's with the punitive amount, which was later overturned in an appeal. The amount was reduced to $450,000 which McD's didn't contest.

Now, as to the perfunctory use of profanity to address an opinion that differs from your own, well, that's the kind of behavior that begets "Fly-over Country" attitude. . .

[This message has been edited by Frank Ford (edited 10-14-2005).]

Leigh
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Frank Ford:
...Does it seem reasonable to you to serve coffee so much hotter than other restaurants that it can actually cause THIRD DEGREE burns if spilled? You know what a third degree burn is - permanent irreparable skin damage through all the layers of skin, and nerve damage, too. That's what the lady in question received, resulting in permanent burn scarring over something like10 percent of her body! By the way, the car was parked when this particular spill occured, and even then she was unable to pull her clothing away fast enough to avoid serious burns.</font>

Any hot liquid will cause third degree burns if left in contact with the skin long enough. And yes, serving coffee at or near 200 degrees F is absolutely the norm. That's how it's made. I suppose you would suggest serving ice cream at room temperature so people wouldn't get frost bite on their tongues???

Her burns were self-inflicted. She should have been brought up on criminal fraud charges for perpetrating this hoax in the first place. It's no different than people who walk out in front of cars so they can get hit and collect money from the insurance company. It was an intentional scam, and she got several million dollars our of our pockets for her trouble.

Your whimpering sounds just like the nonsense spewed every day by the (deleted) attorneys who get rich by encouraging this kind of irresponsible behavior. Are you a lawyer?

And please note, not one profane word (self-control to the max).

------------------
Leigh W3NLB

[This message has been edited by Leigh (edited 10-14-2005).]

IOWOLF
10-14-2005, 04:25 PM
If you call "Bull****" Profanity,You really need to get out more or Get your head out of the sand.

You are a helluva HSM and Inventor,I will take nothing away from you on that account.

You singled out one of Five incidents,and it was questionable as pointed out in those "profane" replies.
I have always liked the diversity,and opinions here and usualy respect them.

There is way more to say,But I will not waste my time.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Norman Atkinson
10-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Iowolf was using perfectly correct Anglo Saxon. It may still be too strong for delicate systems but there are times when such language is the only one appropriate for the circumstances.

When the rights of the individual are being negated- and that relates to both sides of the plonk, the challenge from Iowolf and the other parties is valid.
What has to be rembered is that men and women of great courage and deication fought and died for the rights so savagely denied.

No, Sir, Iowolf is simply telling the World what so many of us have fought for.

That's right, isn't it, you old bastard?
Good English- from the French- batard.
William, the bastard or William, the Conqueror.

Norman

IOWOLF
10-15-2005, 06:32 AM
You know I should just send every reply I want to make on this board to Norman,He says it so much better than me and boardering on P/C.
I say whats on my mind,It goes from brain to keyboard,and is abrasive sometimes.Norm prol'y does the same thing but Gains "tact "in the translation

------------------
The tame Wolf !

speedy
10-15-2005, 07:26 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
You know I should just send every reply I want to make on this board to Norman,He says it so much better than me and boardering on P/C.
I say whats on my mind,It goes from brain to keyboard,and is abrasive sometimes.Norm prol'y does the same thing but Gains "tact "in the translation
</font>

Too much common-sense?? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

IO, That might save some offence and endear you to more members http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
but then that would not provide the same degree of entertainment http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 10-15-2005).]

rkepler
10-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Frank Ford wrote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The amount was reduced to $450,000 which McD's didn't contest.</font>

Read the case - it was reduced further from that amount. "Reportedly, both parties agreed to a settlement even less than the judge's figure". I'd bet that the final value was about the cost to McDonalds to appeal.

Rich Carlstedt
10-15-2005, 09:57 PM
I am sitting here with a third degree burn on my hand. I burned it two weeks ago, when I laid it of a hot weld, while positioning the rod for a second bead nearby.
You may say I was dumb for that, but my answer is that (really now !) a collapsed vertibre in my neck makes my hand tingle and numb, so I didn't even feel the heat for awhile.I didn't wear gloves because I needed tactile feel
I guess I can sue because I have a disability, and the welding rods did not say "hot stuff" and the welder itself has no warning about putting hands on fresh welds, particularly to the disabled..golly, I want that jury for my case.........NOT!
Stupidity should never,never be rewarded.
One of the toughest things a Lawyer has to do, is propose a "logical" argument.
Thats because it is in very short supply in the legal field !

One of the problems in our Country is that those folks with some moxie, never sit on juries, as they get out of them, leaving a preponderence of folks who are led like sheep IMHO

wierdscience
10-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Here the health dept mandates 185f+,less than that is a violation.
The woman who burned herself did something very stupid,unfortunatly stupidity pays.

She should not have gotten one thin dime,in fact she should have been given a ticket for divding what little grey matter she had between driving and drinking coffee at the same time.That alone should have been enough to turn the tables on her,what if she did the same stupid thing and then crossed the centerline and killed someone?Who would be liable then?McDonalds or the person operating the motor vehicle?

I'm sorry,product liability law was bastardized the moment some lawyer won a case based on confusing the malfunctioning of a product with the malfuntioning of a human.

Stupidity is supposed to be painful,not profitable.