PDA

View Full Version : Tiggin' along...



hoffman
10-16-2005, 03:04 PM
http://images.andale.com/f2/129/111/8188590/1128606302851_weld_031.jpg

I'm starting to get a little better at controlling the puddle.

These were done with the big knob straight up and the little switch to the left...

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Looking much better! Is that 1/8" plate? You're going to want to run 100's of beads while practicing so I'd go get yourself a bunch of 1/16" material unless you've got plenty of 1/8". I think I used up a full 4x8' sheet of 1/16" alum (cut up into small 1.5" x 5" strips) when I was in class.

-Adrian

hoffman
10-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I got about 10 feet of 1/8 x 2 and 3 aluminum that I've cut into little 3-4" pieces. I have found a comfortable position and have the bucket of water for cooling between beads. The only thing I'm lacking is a stainless steel brush. I gotta pick one up next week. Right now I'm using chemical prep which is a pain...

I also need to get some more tungsten because I keep contaminating them. Funny thing is that this old welder doesn't seem to care much if it's contaminated or not http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//confused.gif About the only time it makes the arc get wild is on a 90 deg fillet where it runs all over the place.

I know, too early on the fillet but I wanted to try http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Tony
10-16-2005, 04:24 PM
hoffman, good work.

>Funny thing is that this old welder doesn't >seem to care much if it's contaminated or >not...

it'll be a while before you start to notice the effects of "contaminated" arc.. less so on aluminum since you're working with a ball and not a tip.

just keep in mind, no matter how your arc might look, if your tungsten is contaminated, so is your weld.

won't be long now till your collecting soda cans.

-tony

Last Old Dog
10-16-2005, 06:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
. . . I think I used up a full 4x8' sheet of 1/16" alum (cut up into small 1.5" x 5" strips) when I was in class.

-Adrian</font>

Interesting, when I was learning, they gave us strips about 8" wide. After the weld evaluation, they would shear next to the weld and return the slightly narrower strips to us for more practice. We got a lot of mileage out of the material. . . . . Last Old Dog

hoffman
10-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Well, now that I'm sure it's in working order I took it apart for painting...

JRouche
10-16-2005, 10:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hoffman:
I took it apart for painting... </font>

Cool, JD green like I like? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
JRouche

hoffman
10-17-2005, 02:33 AM
RED http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

HTRN
10-17-2005, 09:25 AM
RED?! ON A MILLER?!

I think Dante would put you in the 4th circle of hell for that. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif


HTRN

Rustybolt
10-17-2005, 09:41 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hoffman:
I got about 10 feet of 1/8 x 2 and 3 aluminum that I've cut into little 3-4" pieces. I have found a comfortable position and have the bucket of water for cooling between beads. The only thing I'm lacking is a stainless steel brush. I gotta pick one up next week. Right now I'm using chemical prep which is a pain...

I also need to get some more tungsten because I keep contaminating them. Funny thing is that this old welder doesn't seem to care much if it's contaminated or not http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//confused.gif About the only time it makes the arc get wild is on a 90 deg fillet where it runs all over the place.

I know, too early on the fillet but I wanted to try http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>


Just breakoff the contaminated part and regrind.
The tungsten sems to be more forgiving with alum.than with steel.

On a fillet you can placethe cup on the materialand walk it along(rock it) the V. Much easier to control the arc that way.

Lookin' Good. Now I have to go out and practice too.;-)

Swarf&Sparks
10-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Rusty, sorry to disagree but ya can't walk the torch on ali butts, the bead is still too soft and the weld is gonna look like **** if nothing else. Fillets are fine of course http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm going to try and setup my camera with an auto-shade lense. If I can get a good setup that actually lets you see what's going on, I'll make more videos of all of the joint types, etc.

Tony
10-17-2005, 04:30 PM
3ph,
re: welding shade for video camera..
i've tried recording and photographing a few times.. doesn't work well with the shade.. i have had some luck playing with exposure levels, though. under expose as much as possible, with your shutter stopped down if you can control those independently.

for some reason the setup worked best under a floodlight. i think the scene contrast was brought down as there wasn't as big a diff between ambient light and the arc.

if it still doesn't work try shooting through gas lenses.. or dark sunglasses.

my 2c,
-tony

hoffman
10-17-2005, 07:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HTRN:
RED?! ON A MILLER?!

I think Dante would put you in the 4th circle of hell for that. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif


HTRN</font>

It's a Lincoln
http://images.andale.com/f2/129/111/8188590/1131305906839_weld.jpg

These came in the mail today http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif