PDA

View Full Version : Mist or Flood

C - ROSS
10-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Need to cool tooling on my mill drill. Either
I try to go too fast or the darn thing won't
slow down enough. Guess that it is probably a lot of both.
It looks like I can go either way for about the same money (low end systems). What is the best way to go for a small home shop. I don't keep heat on at night in the winter. Read that as the shop can and will freeze at night.
Ross

PBMW
10-19-2005, 09:38 AM
I'd flood before I'd mist any day of the week.
May be a bit messier but you won't be breathing it. And I've never gotten a mister to give much advantage over dry anyway...
But that's just MY opinion
Jim

agrip
10-19-2005, 09:40 AM
I made a little plywood box that I keep a 4 watt light bulb in.

In this case, the little man that works the light when you CLOSE the door, keeps stuff from freezing.

In Nebraska you might want to add foam insulation or another bulb or so.

HTH Ag

C - ROSS
10-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the info.

Have used light bulb for the wife's plants just never thought about using it in the shop (DUH).

Didn't think about breathing the mist.

Thanks again.

Ross

SGW
10-19-2005, 09:58 AM
A lot of people run too much mist. According to Bijur, there should be NO visible mist. The cooling should come from the refrigeration effect of the coolant evaporating into the airstream. Turn off the mist so it's just airflow, stick your finger in the airstream, then slowly open the mist control until the airstream suddenly becomes cold and a few small drops of coolant begin to bead up on your finger. That's where you should run it. At that level, breathing the mist shouldn't be an issue.

graymatter
10-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Just added a mist unit to my home shop lathe. I'm tinkering around making acrylic duck calls. After scrapping about ten test pieces trying to drill a 1/4" hole 3-3/4 deep into acrylic rod I bought the mister. first piece was perfect. cost was $75 for a 1 Qt Trico unit from Enco. Though I've seen them for half that without the tank. Plus it's easy to move over to my mill drill.

graymatter
10-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Just added a mist unit to my home shop lathe. I'm tinkering around making acrylic duck calls. After scrapping about ten test pieces trying to drill a 1/4" hole 3-3/4 deep into acrylic rod I bought the mister. first piece was perfect. cost was $75 for a 1 Qt Trico unit from Enco. Though I've seen them for half that without the tank. Plus it's easy to move over to my mill drill.