View Full Version : What do you call this thing that goes on the end of a rope?

10-18-2005, 04:09 AM

Boy, do I feel dumb.

10-18-2005, 04:21 AM
A dog clip.


10-18-2005, 04:47 AM
On the end of a rope? Maybe a chain. My dog will go through 3/4" rope in about 3 seconds http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

How about a bolt snap or a sliding bolt snap? Or, like Ken said, a dog clip. Unless it's for your horse, then it's a rein snap.

If you are using the ones that swivel, check the swivel end often. They pop out at the worst times. I like spring snaps with a solid spring bar or trigger snaps. If you want a real secure one, you can get spring snaps that you have to pull out on the movable piece to open them.

10-18-2005, 04:48 AM
Swivel snap clasp or a standard snap clasp...can't really tell from the drawing. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

10-18-2005, 04:55 AM
"Bolt snap" works.


Alistair Hosie
10-18-2005, 03:14 PM
A condom clasp!!!!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair

10-18-2005, 03:20 PM
McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) calls them "slide-bolt spring snaps. Take a look at catalog page 1280 and adjacent.

Leigh W3NLB

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Looks like a notepad.

Allan Waterfall
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Is it a micrometer with a bottle opener on one end. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif


10-18-2005, 06:27 PM
A Dodge? This week there was a misshap of sorts. One of our fisherman during a freek wind storm, 100mph plus winds came down of the mountains. A young fisherman, who wishes to remain nameless had his 65' dragger break loose from the warf. He managed to get a line on it and on his truck and hauled the boat close enough to the warf to get his crew aboard. He put the 4wd Dodge in park and jumped aboard also. Suddenly the boat was moving away from the warf again with the Dodge in tow. And yes, they did get the boat stopped but not until the $50,000 truck was in the ocean and being dragged by a dragger. On the end of his rope was a truck. I feel however this is a case of watching to many Chev commercials on TV and not reading the fine print at the bottom of the screen.
"Closed course , do not try this in a Dodge". Dumb is relative winchman2 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

10-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Needs viagra.


10-18-2005, 11:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
Needs viagra.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/snap.jpg </font>

someone's go too much time on their hands...

and by the way, you might wanna get that checked out. i've heard of a slight curve, but a right angle? must drive the ladies wild...

[This message has been edited by psomero (edited 10-18-2005).]

10-18-2005, 11:46 PM
A snap on a postit!

10-19-2005, 12:15 AM
My mom is wholesale supplier of those little buggers, they're officially called snap hooks i could hook you up with some for cost if you need some.


10-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Piston clip, akin to piston hanks on yer jib http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Allan Waterfall:
Is it a micrometer with a bottle opener on one end. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif


Sheer genius!

Put me down for THREE! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

10-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately, Allan is mistaken. That's not a bottle opener. It's where you put the tommy bar to properly cinch down the micrometer.