PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate bearing Lube?

Wingnut
10-28-2002, 09:46 AM
And the saga continues: The "clean and discover" of my wide belt 14 x 40" Am. Tool Works lathe has provided clues. A date 1-17-23 stamped on the flat tool surace of the headstock, removed upwards of 3/16" of yecch all over (parts cleaner solvent best, spray engine degreaser good at times) revealing gleaming steel and bronze where all was matte black before. 20 plus small brass twist-cap oilers. Several brass oil cups (one missing, replaced with bolt!?!) and a bunch of srews with 'OIL' stamped into the parent stock on pulleys, shafts, cross slide, etc. Can anyone point me at the correct weight oil/oils? how often? How much?Can a gent find the old type oil cups to replace with? Would regular Way Oil do the job? Any input would be appreciated.
Estimado.
Da Nut!

SGW
10-28-2002, 10:06 AM
I'd got with lightweight spindle oil for the headstock bearings, as per South Bend. For the pulley shafts, etc., probably about #30 machine oil woul do. Medium-weight way lube for the ways.

Oil all the oil points, a couple of drops, every time you use the lathe.

MSC sells oil cups...dunno if they're the "old type" you're looking for. If need be, make 'em! You got a lathe.... ;-)

Harry J. Dolan
10-28-2002, 10:20 AM
Gits Mfg Co. is still in business and manufacturers a number of oilers that match to "old style". The address is:
Gits Manufacturing Company
1739 Commercial Drive
Creston, IA 50801-8900
Phone: 515 782-2105
FAX: 515-782-6365
Applied Industrial Technologies(Former Bearings Inc./Dixie Bearings) is my local supplier for Gits Oilers.

Thrud
10-28-2002, 04:41 PM
Make sure you do not use any hypoid gear oil in the yellow metal bearings or you will be replacing them. Use a R&O Gear & Bearing oil - an ISO 68 is a 20W, ISO 30 about a 10W, iso 100 about 40W. (ISO is the stanadard industry viscosity specification method used). If you cannot find R&O lube then you can sub Anti-wear Hydraulic Fluid, but try for the R&O for the best performance.

The way oil should be an ISO 68 unless you have ball screws then you may require a higher or lower viscosity - normally lower for the ball screws and the linear bearing packs.