X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob
    • Mar 2001

drill press

I am looking for a source of a good, high quality table top drill press. I would love to have a keyless chuck, variable speed and dynamic braking, but I might not be able to find all three items on one unit. Any suggestions on brands?
  • hoffman
    • Oct 2004

Man, that's a lot to ask for with a table top DP!
    Techno-Anarchist

Comment

• beckley23
      • Sep 2003

Can't help with the keyless chuck, and you may not want it with dynamic braking. Set the DP with a VFD and hook up some external braking resistors and you're in business. That what I did to one of my lathes, and I stop it in 2 seconds from 4000 RPM.
      Harry

Comment

• PeteM
        • Aug 2001

Most keyless chucks go on a threaded arbor. Most table-top drill presses have a JT33 arbor. Some will have a Morse taper. One way to get keyless action, plus good accuracy, would be to buy a Wahlstrom chuck from Ebay etc. to fit a JT33 or MT arbor (depending on which press you have).

Not sure what the need for dynamic braking is. In my experience, drill presses stop pretty quickly. If it's just so you don't wait between drill changes, the Wahlstrom chuck will do that for you -- production operators change tools without even shutting off the drill press.

While it's old technology -- VFD-driven makes more sense -- I'm partial to the manual cone-drive pulley drill presses. There's something satisfying about dialing in just the right speed on these.

So, maybe a used Clausing, Rockwell, Delta benchtop variable speed drill press, plus a Wahlstrom chuck?

Comment

Working...
        X