PDA

View Full Version : All Pilots Of Small Aircraft Need To Read This!

The Doctor
10-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi, I am posting this here because I know there are several pilots of small aircraft who frequent this board, and I believe it is important that all know of this urgent matter. I'm not a pilot myself, but I have a few close friends who are, one of them brought it to my attention. I hope that the board's administrators and my fellow members do not consider this a spam post, I did not put it here with the intent of generating sales for anybody. The total graphics that I posted are less than half a megabyte, I don't think it will hurt anybody too bad even if they are on dial-up. Please read what I have posted an act on it if you feel appropriate, but if you plan to act, do so quickly as all comments need to be in by November 2. For more information, visit the AOPA web site at http://www.aopa.org

http://home.comcast.net/~marconi30/AOPA/letterp1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~marconi30/AOPA/letterp2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~marconi30/AOPA/alert.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~marconi30/AOPA/map.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~marconi30/AOPA/takeaction.jpg

Ed

tattoomike68
10-20-2005, 12:06 AM
I wonder how homeland security would deal with a hot air balloon flying over DC? It would be a good time to whip "it" out and take a piss.

good luck on stopping paranoid politicians from screwing you guys over.

Paul F
10-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Welcome to what gun owners have been dealing with for 40 years....

My guns have killed no more people that your airplane... yet I am fingerprinted, background checked, subjected to random searches for having an NRA sticker on my car, and treated like a murderer when I mention my hobby in polite company.

Next letter to my congress-critter, I'll include a mention of opposition to this bill. Not that he'll listen any better about that than he does to the other stuff I write him about.

Paul F.

CCWKen
10-20-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm not a pilot but I understand the problems GA pilots face with the proposed bill. It would bother me if I had to park my vehicle outside of a city's downtown area/radius because of security. However, with the two recent D.C. scares I see where something needs to be done.

The GA fields in this area are about as wide open as you can get. No fences, gates or patrols. Claiming that "no private aircraft has been used in a terrorist act" should be followed with the word "yet".

Something needs to be done. I'm just not sure what... Yet.

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-20-2005, 12:45 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul F:
Welcome to what gun owners have been dealing with for 40 years....

My guns have killed no more people that your airplane... yet I am fingerprinted, background checked, subjected to random searches for having an NRA sticker on my car, and treated like a murderer when I mention my hobby in polite company.

Next letter to my congress-critter, I'll include a mention of opposition to this bill. Not that he'll listen any better about that than he does to the other stuff I write him about.

Paul F.</font>

I cancled my NRA membership after they kept sending me junk mail and actually called me on the phone several times after I told them to remove my phone number. Does/did anyone else get loads of junk from the NRA?

-Adrian

J Tiers
10-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Sounds like a typical government load of crap..... BUT

I can think of at least five "easy" ways to use a small aircraft to make a city uninhabitable, probably cause a very significant number of deaths, and, in some scenarios, destroy a significant portion of it. All would result in the need for multi-billion dollar cleanups..... up to millions of people displaced, etc.

Several could be done on the sly, with results possibly not noticed for days.... the longer the better for the attackers. Others would be *very hard to hide*.....

And they all could be done to say a dozen cities at once. I expect eventually they WILL be done that way by someone else who thinks of them.

None "require" an aircraft, but all would benefit from using one.

And I don't think I need to or ought to describe ANY of them..... I have no wish to spend 10 years in prison waiting for trial on conspiracy charges.

'nuff said

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 10-20-2005).]

Evan
10-20-2005, 02:47 AM
I don't get it. What's the big deal? We have had barbed wire fences, security gates and security checks around general aviation airports for 15 or 20 years here. It hasn't made any difference to anyone's freedom to fly (except maybe someone trying to steal a plane). I presume the regs in the US are the same as here as to filing a flight plan. Here if you are flying more than 25 miles from the airport you must file a flight plan. If you don't follow the flight plan you have some explaining to do.

There are plenty of zones in the US and Canada that have been off limits to aircraft for as long as there have been aircraft. Try flying over Groom Lake.

There are speed limits too. Go too fast in the CADIZ or ADIZ and you get to have a up close encounter with an F-16. The ADIZ (Air Defense Identification Zone) isn't some sort of precedent. The ADIZ has been place since WWII.

BTW, evacuating the capitol because a Cessna 150 is in the area seems to be a serious case of clinical paranoia.

Oh yeah, I'm a private pilot.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-20-2005).]

dvideo
10-20-2005, 02:51 AM
I don't think conspiracy charges are the problem or likely. Tom Clancy did not get hit with then when he published his "how to books". Thrillers that are believable can often be accurate - aka books and movies. No one wants to give the clueless any good ideas........

--jr

GregC
10-20-2005, 07:39 AM
I certainly support people having the right to fly, but I think the flying world needs to clean its act a bit first. As a non-pilot I get the impression that there are a lot of idiots out there flying around.

1) There are gobs of accidents reported (I live near Houston). Almost every week you hear of some guy digging his ultralight or single engine plane into someone's backyard. Not good for Public Relations.

2) I think there are bunch of guys who are poor men in a rich man's sport. They're flying around in the cheapest piece of crap they can barely afford - see #1.

3) There's a small airport near me - they love to 'buzz' houses and do numerous fly-bys. The nicer the weather, the worse it is. You think they'd have the brains to do that stuff AWAY from their own neighbors. You know, don't crap in your own nest.

4) John Travolta - need I say more?

bob308
10-20-2005, 08:57 AM
frist the gun control started in 1900 in new york city, and moved on from there it really picked up speed 40 years ago.
the gun control got started the same way one has stated about planes they are a lot of them not safe. idots are using them.
we are all guiltiy because of a few.
i am a white male with a carry permit for 30 years never any problems. but when i got to the court house. i am searched and they take my pocket knife and a 1/4-20 bolt i had in my pocket.

J Tiers
10-20-2005, 09:10 AM
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************** ******

J Tiers
10-20-2005, 09:16 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dvideo:
I don't think conspiracy charges are the problem or likely. Tom Clancy did not get hit with then when he published his "how to books". Thrillers that are believable can often be accurate - aka books and movies. No one wants to give the clueless any good ideas........

--jr</font>

When he wrote, we didn't have the Geheim SicherheitsAmt in place in the US. We do now.

We weren't holding people for years without trial or charges or access to a lawyer.... we do now.

We weren't conducting state-wide searches for the culprit after someone photographs an oil tank farm.... we do now (Illinois).

We hadn't had in-border large-scale terrorist attacks... we have now.

Don't step outta line, or you gonna get the slammer with no lawyer. Far-fetched? Maybe not.

One more bigger in-border attack, and you won't want to even live here.... "papers please!".

jkilroy
10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
J Tiers, I'll take that bet. You cannot come up with five *easy* ways to make a city unliveable with a small aircraft. You list your five and we will see if I can shoot them down.

The idea that a small aircraft could easily be used to casue mass death and destruction is total BS. Anyone thinks otherwise, consider that there are people who get paid to look into these things. There is a reason terrorist have not used small planes, its just to damn hard to get a decent return on investment.

About the only way to do that would be if you had a WMD or some type of biological agent. And guess what, you don't need an airplane to make a small nuke do its job, a minivan will work fine thank you. The problem with Anthrax is nobody has enough of it to cause mass damage from an air drop. Chemical weapons? The reason countries stopped using checmical weapons is not because they are cruel its because THEY DON'T WORK WORTH A DAMN given the costs and complications. Regular ole bombs are much more cost effective.

machine_rookie
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Nice piece of AOPA propaganda...
The problem is not just alleged "few isolated incidents."

Contact the Public Affairs (PA) people that work for FAA, NORAD, NORTHCOM or 1st Air Force for a factual description of the absolute buffoonery of certain General Aviation pilots flying in and around these restricted airspaces.

As a pilot myself I'm shocked at the gross stupidity displayed by some of these pilots that end up costing the taxpayers 100s of thousands of dollars. Ask the Air National Guardsmen who intercept these idiots how problematic these ill-informed pilots are.

These areas were implemented to protect personnel and facilities seen as vital to National Security. If you don’t like it, call you governmental representatives and complain in a cogent manner and try to effect change.

J Tiers
10-20-2005, 01:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkilroy:
J Tiers, I'll take that bet. You cannot come up with five *easy* ways to make a city unliveable with a small aircraft. You list your five and we will see if I can shoot them down.

The idea that a small aircraft could easily be used to casue mass death and destruction is total BS. Anyone thinks otherwise, consider that there are people who get paid to look into these things. There is a reason terrorist have not used small planes, its just to damn hard to get a decent return on investment.

</font>

OK Mr Ostrich.... I will think about it and see how many are public domain so I can talk about them .....

I think you are in denial..... And recall I said an aircraft isn't required.... just maybe more effective in some ways.

Heck you actually referred to some of the cruder methods... indirectly.... and yet you STILL deny the possibility....

machine_rookie
10-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Mr. Jkilroy your ignorance (lack of education) about the terrorist threat could fill volumes.

"Anyone thinks otherwise, consider that there are people who get paid to look into these things.”

I am "one of those people" and you are totally off the mark. Do any amount of unclassified/open source research and you will find hundreds of websites, periodicals and publications that will teach you to build and deploy a staggering number of effective explosive weapons as well as crude/amateur chemical, biological and radiological devices. Hell, did you know that plain Bic ballpoint pen ink is two chemical steps from Lewisite? You have in your house the chemicals to build a variety of chemical weapons, methamphetamines, standard and plastic explosives? Read and learn before you speak…

The ability to cause death/destruction/panic is all too easy. Your assertion: "The problem with Anthrax is nobody has enough of it to cause mass damage from an air drop." is also dangerously incorrect. Anthrax exists in most pastures and people’s back yards. Cultivate it with the leftovers from home beer brewing and you’ll have a goodly amount in less than a month. Any High School or University with a decent Biology, Chemistry or Physics Lab has the technology to weaponize Anthrax spores.

Do your research and speak from experience not from propaganda.

BillH
10-20-2005, 02:37 PM
A cessna flying into a building, Hmm, kinda like a butterfly hitting my windshield.
Remember that kid who flew his cessna into a side of a bank shortly after 9/11? Come on people, simple physics here...

BillH
10-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Adrian, I didnt renew my NRA, they are too willing to compromise. Also I give the opposite response to people who are pushy on the phone, they got too pushy with me. Only reason I joined the NRA the first time was because that jackass that died of cancer, Jennings, did a horribly blatant and biased nightly news report against the 2nd ammendment, so out of spite I joined the NRA. Millions of others that night did as well, atleast so I heard.
Dont get me wrong, I think the NRA is very important, and they DO have leverage in Washington and without the NRA our 2nd ammendment rights would be far less than what we have today. They blew it with me though.

jlh28
10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
I hate to chime in, but it is all about knee jerk reactions from Congress. It always has been and always will be. One event attracts media attention. The media blow it out of porportion. Congressmen with an ax to grind jump on the DA wagon and draft far sweeping legislation that is unnecessary and overbearing. It gets passed, and the general public spends the next several years trying to get the crap repealed. Problem is that you can no longer motivate your lazy self serving representatives to repeal the legislation, because it is no longer in the "limelight"

Look at the freaking stupid Patriot act. Don't even say that it is beneficial unless you can say that you have read the entire load of horsedung. I have, and IMO it is a huge ^! AAAAAAAAAAHhhhh I came to learn about machining, got sidetracked by this post, and now I am mad. No more reading these posts for me

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Adrian, I didnt renew my NRA, they are too willing to compromise. Also I give the opposite response to people who are pushy on the phone, they got too pushy with me. Only reason I joined the NRA the first time was because that jackass that died of cancer, Jennings, did a horribly blatant and biased nightly news report against the 2nd ammendment, so out of spite I joined the NRA. Millions of others that night did as well, atleast so I heard.
Dont get me wrong, I think the NRA is very important, and they DO have leverage in Washington and without the NRA our 2nd ammendment rights would be far less than what we have today. They blew it with me though.</font>

The NRA used to send me junk mail all the time. I.E: "URGENT! Open up and respond immediately or your civil rights might be denied (Always a request for additional financial support)". The NRA also sent me an NRA baseball cap with a request that was something like "If you enjoy this cap, please support the NRA by sending us a $xxx donation, otherwise please return the cap so it may be offered to another NRA member.". Of course that's illegal except when you read the fine print (Something like) "you're under no obligation to send us any money or to return the cap. You may consider the cap as a gift".

I also belong to USPA and the AMA. The AMA recently sent me a DVD R/C video and requested that I pay $xxx for it if I'd like to keep it, otherwise please send it back so another AMA member can receive it (same fine print saying it's just a gift, etc.), Same crap, different association. It's funny how my AMA dues increased to $50 that year. Anyone else question the large AMA dues increase for 2005? Anyone else get the AMA DVD video and a big coin?

-Adrian

BillH
10-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Ah the AMA and the club types, both are the worst things about R/C airplanes if you ask me. I responded to the AMA increase as not renewing. Too many people in the hobby living in fear and brainwashed for the AMA to not exist. Cant fly at any club unless you belong to the AMA. Such BS. I nearly sold everything I had in the hobby.

Last Old Dog
10-20-2005, 05:02 PM
CCW, Thanx for the heads up.

[This message has been edited by Last Old Dog (edited 10-21-2005).]

J Tiers
10-20-2005, 05:19 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
A cessna flying into a building, Hmm, kinda like a butterfly hitting my windshield.
Remember that kid who flew his cessna into a side of a bank shortly after 9/11? Come on people, simple physics here...</font>

Have you NO creativity whatever? Those scenarios are definitely NOT on the list.

Why? Because they do nothing...

Even the airliner thing is not so useful now, there are only a very few high value targets that are also vulnerable to that particular attack method.

The WTC was ideal. High value, very vulnerable to that type attack (any engineer who could not forsee the effect of fire on the columns is a dumbs*it), large concentration of people, hard to miss.

In the US, you have to kill people. You can damage or destroy things, but to get the media to do your job for you, you have to kill people, dramatically.

An alternate, maybe better way is to displace large numbers. And hitting strategic production facilities is effective.

I understand that teh WTC was chosen partly because it was thought its destruction would cause economic chaos.

As far as the physical effect, look at the pentagon... different structure, rather different and less severe effects.

No, that is a very inefficient way to use an aircraft. They simply are not dense enough to be a good projectile, that french fool notwithstanding.

The right way to go about it is rather different.... having to do with speedy transportation, and the fact of being up in the air.

Those are two things which make a plane very different from a minivan, for instance.

A small plane could be quite effective without even doing much real physical damage, used "correctly".

Several scenarios involve NO real physical damage, yet the city would be emptied...... and it would be months or years and possibly billions of $$ before anyone could go back.

BillH
10-20-2005, 05:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
Have you NO creativity whatever? Those scenarios are definitely NOT on the list.

Why? Because they do nothing...

Even the airliner thing is not so useful now, there are only a very few high value targets that are also vulnerable to that particular attack method.

The WTC was ideal. High value, very vulnerable to that type attack (any engineer who could not forsee the effect of fire on the columns is a dumbs*it), large concentration of people, hard to miss.

In the US, you have to kill people. You can damage or destroy things, but to get the media to do your job for you, you have to kill people, dramatically.

As far as the effect, look at the pentagon... different structure, rather different and less severe effects.

No, that is a very inefficient way to use an aircraft. They simply are not dense enough to be a good projectile, that french fool notwithstanding. </font>
Right, so whats all this crap about restricting GA?

machine_rookie
10-20-2005, 05:54 PM
They are restricting the airspaces because some of our fellow pilots should not be trusted with a butter knife much less an aircraft.

The pilots who can't or won't file flight plans, read/follow Notams or listen to air traffic control broadcasts are causing problems with the air defense of high value assets and this seems to be the only way to get their attention.

Correct the dumba**es and this would go away...

It is the same "center of the universe" mentality that oblivious SUV drivers and cellphone users have... They can't see the forest for the trees and want to blame someone else for their lack of Situational Awareness...

CCWKen
10-20-2005, 08:01 PM
This thread was fun to read until someone screwed it up with a WIDE message. Stop using your word processor. Everyone knows you can't spell anyway. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Davis In SC
10-20-2005, 10:31 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
I cancled my NRA membership after they kept sending me junk mail and actually called me on the phone several times after I told them to remove my phone number. Does/did anyone else get loads of junk from the NRA?

-Adrian</font>
3 different times, over the last 15 years, I have joined the NRA... they have no problem sending all of the solicitations for money, but I never get the Membership package or the magazines, after many calls, they always say my address is "not compatible" with their system... By the way, I have had 3 different addresses in those 15 years...

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-20-2005, 11:03 PM
http://www.bbssystem.com/wideass.jpg

You can always make it wider http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Rich Carlstedt
10-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Part of the Terriorists desire is to screw up our life style.
I laugh (but it hurts)because this is exactly what the Terriorists want...
a reduction in our Freedom..only it is "presented to us by our Politians
who think we should be greatful for "their" concern.
This is but another loss of one of our Freedoms.
"But we need to do it" you say, to keep us protected.
Before I answer what seems to be a sincere question, I want to ask if you fellows
remember the LA airport terrior attack on El AL Ticket Counter ?
Do you recall ?
You see, Terrorists are basically whimps..thats right..they have no gonads..
why else do they wear rags accross their face and for example in Afganistan
recently, the number two man was caught wearing womans clothes.
They hid and are afraid of the light, and "WE" ( because of our media !)
also are scared of what they might do..this is all Bogus. If we scare the hell out of
them, they would not bother us. Instead we constantly run away from the battle.
We did it in Iran, Lebanon, Mogadishu,Africa,World Trade Center #1 and
even the Cole bombing, we ran. Period.
Who do the Terrorists hate the most? The Isralies ....
Now why do they not attack them here in the US before they attack us Ameroicans?
because they are met with brute and overwhelming force.
In the case of the El AL attack, the Terriorist was shot dead..several
times..right in the terminal..Case Closed !
To them, if they are going to get killed, they want to be successful first.
The El Al terminal shot first and asked questions later.
OH NO you say ! That is Criminal..Well I will tell you that, if we did it, there
would still be a heck of alot more freedoms for us ...Period
Am I callous ? No, I just think the Politians are callous with MY freedoms
instead of getting off their duff and "Ensuring them" by taking out the bad
guys..You got a Federal court that thinks Getmo Prisoners have RIGHTS,
WHILE REMOVING OURS..This is plain nuts
Let folks get of airplanes with guns..then you would not have bad guys planning to
grab a plane.
Tell the small plane pilots" If you fly over the White House" prepare to die..
if they still do it, knock them down and bless our Gene pool
Its really simple, but everyone wants it complex to sound important ....

Last example..from a family member who was there.. Korean War
American Camps were continually raided at night by thieves. Stole food and clothing,
bedding..it was "Un-stopable" said one Officer.. They had 10 Marines alone on
guard duty and still they were "Hit"
If they caught someone, he was given to the
local town Mayor for punishment
Right next to the American post was a Turkish Camp...One guard at night
No thieves, no losses. and a single barb wire around it....How come this is so?
Well when they caught a thief, he was hung at the camp gate and left till someone took
him down...harsh you say ?
Well it solved the crime problem..
but we don't have the gonads either I guess..at least not until we have
no "freedoms" as they will have been forfited in the name of keeping
us "free"..get the Irony ?

"If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" said in simple terms
" If you don't fight for your Freedom, you may not deserve it "

[This message has been edited by Rich Carlstedt (edited 10-21-2005).]

elbryant
10-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Gentlemen, where do we turn in our machine tools?
Atter reading how dangerous a small plane is in the "wrong hands" it occurs to me that we have no handle on those who have machine tools. At least pilots are licensed.
Silencers, machine guns, sniper rifles are just a few things that the wrong people could make or modify. This just can't go on.
I know most of us are trustworthy, but there are so many idiots out there that do the dumbest things! That's almost the same as people doing evil things.
Even WMD require some kind of tools to make, so we should act now to make sure we protect ourselves, and make sure that we give away as much freedom as possible to make us SAFE! Safety above all!
And let's not concentrate on finding the right people - it's things like guns and planes a machine tools that are evil after all. Think about it - how often has your shop been calling you to go out and do something. The wrong combination of tools could entice a perfectly normal citizen to become an evil gun owner.

I'm doing my part to start the round-up. I'm turning in this website to homeland security so they can start rounding up machine tools. Lathes and mills are first. Maybe you guys with shapers can just get by with registration.

Ed

J Tiers
10-21-2005, 10:18 AM
ELB.... Ive said that before... after all these are the same tools used to make GUNS... even HANDGUNS. Having one is JUST THE SAME as having unregistered handguns.

Saudi Arabia does what you suggest, and we all know they are a benevolent society with no crime. Let's be JUST LIKE them!

jkilroy
10-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Hey Rookie, Mr. Tiers specifically said he knew of five *easy* ways to make a city unliveable AND cause damage into the billions of dollars. Thats a strong claim to which I say BULL****!

An orginized effort of fanatics willing to give there lives to blow up bombs all over London neither made the city unlivealbe nor caused much real damage to property. A huge truck bomb in Oklahoma didn't render the city unliveable nor did it cause a billion in damage. Two large jetliners flown into the twin towers by crazy fanatics didn't reduce New York to a ghost town, though a billion in damage is possible given the cost of realestate.

Is it possible to make a city unliveable? Yes it is. Is it easy? No it is not. And Rookie, what makes you think that I am not one of those people that gets paid to know things? Unless you have access to certain materials it will not be *easy* to accomplish this task. And having access to those materials is not easy.

[This message has been edited by jkilroy (edited 10-21-2005).]

Evan
10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Poison water supply (how much plutonium in your water supply is acceptable?)

Disable power plant(s)

Disable sewage treatment

Disable communications

Disable major transportation routes (example: blow cable on Golden Gate Bridge)

Also Google acetone peroxide

jkilroy
10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
To what degee would you have to disrupt public services to render an city unliveable and cause billions in damage? Could you do it by yourself our would you need a large organized force to execute a well planned attack?

Some people need to learn to speak with precision.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=easy

When you say that something is *easy* to do, for whom? You, or a foreign goverment? Would you call the planning and destruction of a large public work(s) to be easy? Something you plan while on the way home from picking up a gallon of milk and execute on your way to the office with a 30 minute delay in your commute?

Sure its easy to sit around and talk about what you might do in some fictional world but how about actually doing it? When someone comes out and says that rendering an entire city unliveable and causing billions in damage is easy, once again I call BULL****! If that is the case, then I guess designing, building, and dropping the bomb on Japan was also easy.

Doesn't anyone think that if rendering a city unliveable and causing billions in damage was easy then the crazy fanatics that blew themselves up in London would have do that instead? Or the nut cases that flew into the twin towers. How about Oklahoma City? If it were *easy* don't you think the middle east would be a ghost town by now?

I think that this idea that terrorism is *easy* probably sprouts from our desire to think of the fanatics as bumbling idiots. We don't want to believe that a person, or group, would sit down and spend countless hours planning and executing precision plans of attack. We don't understand their logic, there resolve. Honestly the idea that people are out there spending long hours planning ways to kill westerners scares people. Thats why we always want to think that terrorism is easy. We would rather believe that the fanatic that drives a plane into a building is a nut case, rather than a cold, calculated, killer willing to give his life to end ours.

Thats right, its better to think that any idiot could pull of a terrorist attack that could render a city unliveable and cause billions in damage. That way we don't have to face the fact that there are many thousands of people in the world who have dedicated there lives to killing you and those that you love.