PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 12x48 lathe

sawward
10-25-2002, 01:19 PM
I just got home from looking over a Craftsman 12x48 lathe. It has square ways, threading screw and dial, backgears and change gears. No quick change. It also doesn't have any chucks or faceplates. It looks in pretty good shape. Bed is good, no rust, every thing seems pretty tight. The main thing I saw was that the headstock spindle moved around more than it should. The man said it has timken ball bearings so I assume it would be easy and fairly cheap to replace. He is aking $400 for it. Does this seem like a good price. Thanks for any suggestions.
Steven

docsteve66
10-25-2002, 01:36 PM
MOST (not all) Craftsman lathes were made by Atlas. The lathes should have a mechanical cross feed (which is often missing). I have a 10". The bearings are marked "war production board , 1945" or something simular. I thought the bearings were/ are roller vice ball, but Timken Odes make what ever is in there at reasonable price (that info is current as of about 1975- so check it out.

Thinking again- Must be rollers becasue you can adjust them. Atlas made a good book covering operation, maintenance etc. REcent thread says they are readily available.

I'd say if the bearings are your only concern, the price would be very good here in Florida.
Steve

JCHannum
10-25-2002, 01:56 PM
It shoud have Timken roller bearings These are adjustable, and that may be all that is needed. They are not cheap or easy to locate. Check with Atlas, Sobel or Meridian for price & availability.
Price is reasonable for a bare lathe, but bearings may not make it so attractive.

gvasale
10-25-2002, 05:39 PM
check the tailstock end of the lathe for ID.

If it is an Atlas/Craftsman, bearings are available from independent suppliers for less than Atlas. Replaced mine less than 2 years ago for about $80/ pair with races and waited only a short time for delivery.

George Hodge
10-25-2002, 09:39 PM
There's one here in my area,the owner wants $1200 for it and there's knobs broken and a few other things wrong with it. If it was $400,it would of been in my shop !!

Oso
10-26-2002, 01:05 AM
Without tooling it is less valuable, and tooling is always cheaper with the machine than separate.

If it has all the change gears (I dunno how many there are) that is good. If it uses the type of "gearsettes" which some smaller ones do, those are really pricey, you would want all of them.

Chucks will add $250 to get reasonable Bison, reckon there will be about $400-$500 including bearings and so forth to get it going. Then you start getting what you want......

Bare like that, with possible bad bearings, which may be full of ground-in grit or maybe are banged up if it was run like that, try for $250 or $300.

Spindle should not move perceptibly if all is well. Use that fact......

At the end of the day, it is only an Atlas/Craftsman. Sure it is usable, but light duty and very limber and springy in the bed compared to other machines.

In other words, why take on a doubtful unit of lesser construction unless you can use it OK, and you can get it cheap. (Or it is the only one available and you need it)

Al Messer
10-26-2002, 07:19 PM
Sawward, If the lathe has not been abused or obviously mis-treated, or excessively worn, grab it!! There's nothing wrong design-wise with square ways. My first lathe was an Atlas and it did every thing I asked of it.

JCHannum
10-26-2002, 10:18 PM
I have to agree with Oso. There is nothing wrong with Atlas lathes. I had one, and would again if I had to downsize. The bare lathe, and potentially bad bearings are negatives. You can pick up a good loose change Atlas with tooling off eBay for $500-$750.
You might have to wait a while for one to show up in your area, or do some creative shipping to hold down costs, but they are available.
Tooling is very expensive, you can easily spend $500 or more to set up a lathe of that type.
gvasale; do you have the numbers for those bearings? I had previously tried to purchase, and found no interchange. The cups were special with that shoulder. It would be a help to a lot of us if you could pass that information along. Thanks.

gvasale
10-27-2002, 08:45 AM
I think that I may still have the boxes around, will look for them. But the supply house just looked at the old bearings I brought in and knew what I needed. I'll get back to you on it.

gvasale
10-27-2002, 09:12 AM
I hope i don't have egg on my face when this is over. My lathe is a 10 F. I don't know if the bearings are different from the 12" QC. Headstock bearing and race # in pairs are (b)16150, (r) 16284-B; (b) 14125-A, (r)14276-B. BTW, for those who may want the journal bearings for the 10F countershafts, Gulf 93324 replaces the Atlas(listed as unavailable)

JCHannum
10-27-2002, 04:11 PM
gsavale; Thanks. The bearings are the same 10" or 12", they used the same casting, just spaced it up 1" for 12" lathes.

sawward
10-29-2002, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all of the information. I Did decide to buy it. He came down to 375! I will bring it homme tonight and see just what it needs. After looking it over closer I found alot of the gearing in the apron loose but that should be an easy fix. I'll clean up the gearing and get a chuck then I'll be in buisiness. Thanks for the bearing numbers. I think they will save me alot of time researching them.
Thanks agian.
Steven