PDA

View Full Version : OT-Satelite for internet

cuemaker
10-21-2005, 05:26 PM
I will be moving to a country area that wont get cable or DSL service. Its all satellite. I work from home most days, and enjoy a fast connection, but not absolutely necessary for work reason (but really want it).
Anybody have any comments about high speed internet though a satellite connection.

Tuckerfan
10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
It's expensive. Costs have come down, but it's still pretty pricey. If you've got a lot of land, and there's very little cell service in your area, you might be able to work out a deal with one of the cell phone companies where you get high speed internet in exchange for allowing them to put a tower on your land.

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Location, Location, Location. Sounds like you want to move to the wrong location http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Evan
10-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Satellite internet has high latency. You click, you wait. You click, you wait. You click, you wait....

It's because the signal has to travel an extra 92,000 miles or so to get where it is going and back again.

Paul F
10-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I have it.
I have no other option besides dial-up.

If it's your only option, it's not too bad.
Caveats about satellite internet in my experience;
Slow uploads (you to the world).
You have no control of your router settings... you can't (for example), open UDP ports to set up VNC connections, etc. If you don't know what that means, then you'll probably never care... but if you do, then be aware of it.

I'd rather eat blue-hot chips out of my chip tray than go back to dial up, but if DSL or Cable were available, I'd drop satellite in a heartbeat.

Paul F.

JRouche
10-21-2005, 07:41 PM
I was reading CNN today. Seems wifi networking is coming along. Check yer new town, maybe you are in this guys 700 square miles. JRouche

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/10/19/wi.fi.farm.ap/index.html

cuemaker
10-21-2005, 08:01 PM
thats the problem, not really near a town. Just a bunch of other house, not very close to each other.

jkilroy
10-21-2005, 09:21 PM
My folks have it out in the sticks. I think they use a service called comcast or some such thing. Its about $60 a month which is actually cheaper than my cable modem once you figure in the basic cable I have to buy and don't watch. They get really good download speed, between 2 and 3 Mb.

Your Old Dog
10-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Are you assuming you can't get cable or DSL? I thought that and could have been knocked over with a feather when I found out the country road I live on is in the far pocket of the cable company and I get cable modem service. I had to call them on the phone and give them my address and they confirmed it. If you haven't done that yet, you should.

cuemaker
10-21-2005, 10:38 PM
i have already checked. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Gator
10-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Cuemaker,
Isn't Marysville where the Honda Plant is located. I have a Goldwing.
How far are you moving from your present location?
I have satellite on the drilling rig location that I work and DSL at home - no comparison, DSL is much better.
Satellite is still better than dial up but only you can determine if the cost is justified.

cuemaker
10-21-2005, 10:57 PM
There isnt even DSL located here in Marysville yet. There are some subdivisions being built that dont have cable yet.

Yep, your Goldwing was made here.

BillH
10-21-2005, 11:13 PM
My parents just got Cable tv service this year. High latency.. No games for you. Not able to change your router settings? Cant forward ports? OUChhhhhh!

PhilD
10-22-2005, 12:48 AM
I live where there is no cable, dsl, etc. and likely not to ever have anything better than satellite.

Some points.
It costs more than other options.
When it rains hard you loose the signal briefly, and that dosn't necesarly mean it is raining where you live. Wherever the satelite downlink is it could be raining hard.
There is a lag sometimes, but unless you are trying to play online games, you probably won't notice it.
Uploads are slower than downloads
Access to secure sites is slow as they are not cached on the servers.
Can't run a website from a server at home.
No phone line connection is needed
Modem will hook up right to your broadband firewall router, and more computers can be hooked up through a switch off of the router.

I use the DirecWay service with the small busisness account. It comes with a .98 meter dish (larger dish) and gets a better signal as well as a higher daily bandwith limit.

Make sure the installer uses a good pole sch 40 is ideal, water pipe or rigid conduit will do, to mount it. I wasn't here when the installer installed mine and the first good wind bent the pipe (cheap Menards fence post, I have seen emt conduit that was thicker). This was after I expressed that I get 20 - 30 mph wind on a regular basis so the pole needed to be a good one.

So do I like it? yes. Do I wish I had something better and faster, cheaper? Sure, who wouldn't.

PhilD

jayhoppe
10-22-2005, 05:41 AM
This is the isp that I use.

http://www.wildblue.com/

Also check out this web site

http://www.wildblue.cc/

------------------

cadwiz
10-22-2005, 07:33 AM
I've got Direcway Sat service. I sorta echo what other's have said. Live in the sticks, no chance for DSL or cable modem. Sat's not so bad as it has it's +/-'s. If you're a mojo major league computer geek then you'll curse the limitations. I'm not one of those. It serves its purpose well and I had no trouble setting up a network so I can bring the laptop to the shop if necessary. It does suffer in stormy weather. Doesn't really matter, had 2 separate direct lightening strikes that blew out everything. Nowdays if a cloud passes by everything gets unplugged (tired of replacing electronics). The latency problem is overstated. I typically don't even notice. Upload is slower than download but that's about all we do anyway. Yea DSL would be nice but this is our only option and it works. It is a little more expensive for the service but again, it's the only option.
Cadwaz in LA

Orrin
10-22-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm out in the boondocks where my only choices are dial-up or satellite. I've considered obtaining satellite service.

But, after I studied DirecWay's literature, I became a bit gun-shy. Here's why: As DirecWay adds customers, all that extra traffic has to be squeezed through their one "pipe." In other words, they don't add new circuits to accomodate the additional traffic. It seems to me that this bandwidth limitation will eventually slow all DirecWay customers' service.

Any comments?

Orrin

Evan
10-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Like all the satellite services they have something called a "fair use" policy. What that means is that the more stuff you download the more they throttle your connection back, even down to dialup speed. They don't like to talk about it and normally won't even admit they do it. If you are throttled back it is usually a few day before they begin to "unthrottle" your connection.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-22-2005).]

Tony
10-22-2005, 11:30 AM
i too live in the sticks and have been through the same mess.

the first year was all dialup. it was excruciating. you know they have gimicky software to 'accelerate' dial up connections? i tried that too.. basically it doesn't load any pictures.

then i went to satellite. even is right, they throttle like crazy. sometimes i'd just hangup and reconnect with my old landline, thats how slow it got.

then i moved to my last option: ISDN. my impression is that ISDN can go anywhere dialup is. you just need some kind of 'black box'

i was amazed at how much difference upload speeds make.

isdn is 128k. 64K up and 64K back. though not DSL, it is surprisingly snappy. the best part: its consistent. you get used to one speed and it'll always be that speed.

its costing me about the same as satellite though.

-tony

Evan
10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
There is one other option that will double dialup speed. Windows XP supports modem "shotgunning" properly known as Multilink. This requires the use of two modems, two phone lines and the service provider must support Multilink. This gives the same bandwidth as ISDN. Actually, you can combine as many modems and phone lines as your budget and computer can afford/support.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-22-2005).]

.RC.
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
I have ISDN, while it is no where near as good as real broadband I consider it better than satellite...Here in Oz satellite is very very expensive and is subsidised by the government for people who cannot get any other form of broadband...

Also the ISDN signal can be regenerated with up to three regenerators so it's distance limit would be about 30-35km's from the exchange...But it will not work over some pair gain systems...

A typical unsubsidised plan here for 512/128 two way with a 500Mb download limit you would pay roughly US$100 every month after the subsidy you would pay about US$50 per month...

With ISDN here in Oz you get two phone numbers...No data charges(for the home version, business ISDN data calls are charged by the minute)and a totally unlimited download limit...It fact it is one of the only internet plans(including dsl and dialup)that has no data limit...

All for the princely sum of around US$70 per month...

Evan I have been led to believe Windows XP will not multilink two connections http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=415314#r2 and 2X56k would not be as good as 128k ISDN...ISDN is just so reliable with it being a totally digital connection...dial up because it runs over the PSTN network you never get a full 56k in fact about 52 is the most you would get with a perfect line(I used to only get 28k on dial up on my line)

Evan
10-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Just type in "multilink" in the Windows "Help and Support" window.

"Multilink is automatically enabled in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional."

ulav8r
10-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Recently moved about 4 miles. Was in town with dialup, connected at about 40-48K on my 56K modem. Didn't go to cable when it became available because we knew we would be moving soon. After moving, connections at usually between 28.4 to 31K.

Checked with SBC, the owner of the phone lines, ISDN is not available. Cable is not available as we are 1/2 mile outside city limits. Decided satellite was just not affordable.

Read two forums at work, two at home. Thank goodness I have the time at work most days. Otherwise would have to give up most of my browsing.

suprdvn
10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
"It seems to me that this bandwidth limitation will eventually slow all DirecWay customers' service.

Any comments?"

I think you are referring to the up/download speed. The better they do the worse it gets, customer base vs. speed.

As for help from customer service:
I haven't been able to get decent customer service from DirecWay for quite some time. I cannot access my account information online because they screwed up my password and were unsuccessful in correcting it (email is ok). They don't have a customer service phone number so you have to pretend that you are a new customer until you get a real person on the line. Then they are of no help (3 out of 3 times). http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

Their actual speed is far less than claimed but far better than dialup. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
The monthly price is nearly twice what they claim. I'm paying $62.99. Plus there was a huge fee for installing it and setting up the account. I think around $500. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Would I do it again? Yes, because dialup sucks even more.

mojojerry
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
You can never go back. Bite the bullet. Now days the sat is not much more exspensive than dsl or cable. I remember when I went from my dial up to 512k dsl. Now I have an 8 meg dsl. Check out (http://www.mybluedish.com/speed-and-pricing.htm) Good luck. mojo

Evan
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
You are replying to a thread that is nearly three years old. Are you advertising?

tattoomike68
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
You are replying to a thread that is nearly three years old. Are you advertising?

LOL , thats funny..

studentjim
06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
I live in an area that does not have cable or dsl and the dialup service was getting on my nerves so i ended up getting satellite internet, but not the same as the satellite tv offers. I have a dedicated radio on my roof which is on the same frequency as cellular phones. It is very fast most of the time and is not affected by the weather since it is a radio signal. The cost is about $50.00 per month and I consider it a worthwhile expense.

tattoomike68
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I live in an area that does not have cable or dsl and the dialup service was getting on my nerves so i ended up getting satellite internet, but not the same as the satellite tv offers. I have a dedicated radio on my roof which is on the same frequency as cellular phones. It is very fast most of the time and is not affected by the weather since it is a radio signal. The cost is about $50.00 per month and I consider it a worthwhile expense.

The radio wave type is fast, farmers in the boonies use it here.

Evan
06-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a dedicated radio on my roof which is on the same frequency as cellular phones

All internet broadband service is distributed as a radio signal including cable and DSL over phone lines.

What you have isn't satellite distributed. It's a WiFi network broadcast using wireless routers with amplifiers to boost the power and range. It could be a rebroadcast of a satellite connection but you would notice all the same problems that satellite connections have. There is absolutely nothing that can be done to improve satellite service when it comes to the built in delays that happen for every single click of the mouse. The delays are caused by the relatively slow speed of light compared to even local distances of earth orbits.

mojojerry
06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Just talking to myself. thanks

studentjim
06-26-2008, 09:22 PM
All internet broadband service is distributed as a radio signal including cable and DSL over phone lines.

What you have isn't satellite distributed. It's a WiFi network broadcast using wireless routers with amplifiers to boost the power and range. It could be a rebroadcast of a satellite connection but you would notice all the same problems that satellite connections have. There is absolutely nothing that can be done to improve satellite service when it comes to the built in delays that happen for every single click of the mouse. The delays are caused by the relatively slow speed of light compared to even local distances of earth orbits.

WiFi or Satellite,I don't really care as long as it keeps performing the way it has been, no delays and not affected by the weather.

john hobdeclipe
06-26-2008, 10:44 PM
If you log in to work via a VPN, satellite absolutely will not work because of the latency. If you don't know what VPN is, then it doesn't matter, satellite will work just fine for you.