PDA

View Full Version : Trashed Chuck Update

so ga sailor
10-26-2005, 09:20 AM
After posting answers to all who sent questions about my trashed chuck, I received no answers back with suggestions, I called Griz tech service and was told the chuck was probably no good, but with one last test to check it.
Hoffman: have you ever been in the Machine Shop in Macon that has the huge lathe? 4'to6" swing and 30'+ between centers, had a cousin that worked there years ago

uute
10-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Did the spindle read out OK? What was Grizzly's test? Have you tried reading runout on round stock, then "indexing" the chuck on D-1 mount one stud, repeat runout?

uute

[This message has been edited by uute (edited 10-28-2005).]

hoffman
10-26-2005, 11:52 AM
No I haven't seen it. Do you happen to know the name?

Good luck with the chuck!

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 10-26-2005).]

so ga sailor
10-27-2005, 08:22 PM
uute--run out on the spindle nose was about .0005 Tech support at Griz suggested I remove the jaw and reinstall it ??? Haven't tried it yet.
Hoffman: don't know the name of the shop, sort of remember that it did a lot of work for the local mines, was a lot of big work around, can't recall what part of town it was in either.. Lathe looked like some I had seen at the Brooklyn Navy yard when I was stationed on a ship there

uute
10-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Sounds like it is probably in the chuck. You might check the runout on the face of the spindle mount, outboard of the cam stud holes if possible. 1/2 thou sounds about right to me on sindle. If it bent that far, may have "sprung" a jaw (I guess this is possible).

You might also chect the runout on the front of the chuck w/ jaws removed, being careful around the jaw slots. if that looks good, check along the "slide ways" inside the jaw slots (traversing Dial Ind. w/ cross-slide). If all is good, but still out on stock in jaws, PERHAPS you can get away w/ new set of jaws. (IF scroll is not damaged)

I think it is possible to grind them back to center if chuck body & scroll are good, but .020 is a bit of grinding, and making a jig to hold jaws out is a challenge too!

Hope this gives food for thought. And that all works out.
uute