PDA

View Full Version : Southbend 10 lathe problem

fishfrnzy
10-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi, I have been viewing this board and learning alot for the last month, first post. I Hope someone can help. I was doing some milling on SB 10(L I think, it has the 2.25x8 spindle) making small aluminum chips and dust last night and found the carraige handwheel to become very stiff and takes about 5X the effort it used to in the 10" of operation near the headstock . The tailsock area seems almost as smooth as it used to. I've cleaned the rack and pinion without dissassembly and removed all the old crud and re oiled but the problem persists this morning.
I have never taken carraige or saddle off the machine and before doing so I wanted to know if anybody knew where to start looking for problem and any tips or pitfalls to whatch out for if disassembly required. I bpught this at an auction a few years ago and do not have any manuals or drawings to go by. Any help qould be greatly appretiated.

timz1999
10-29-2005, 10:05 AM
If you want the manuals for your lathe you can get them from LEBLOND ? i hope i spelled that right they bought out southbend.when you email them if you give them your serial number they can tell you when it was made and who ordered it.the only thing i had to do to 10 heavy is get a new belt. good luck

JRouche
10-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Is it only on the 10" closest to the head that the resistance is felt?

Or is it along the entire bed?

If it is only along the area closest to the head that would be (normally) opposite of most bed wear.

Have you set your carriage locking bolt too tight?

Do you have way wipers on the carriage? Make sure there is not a piece of debris under the carriage, maybe something embedded.

Double check the rack gear to make sure nothing is causing the resistance.

JRouche

fishfrnzy
10-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Checked the carraige bolt, loose at this time. Removed and inspeced wipers, no debris. Resistance developed while using lathe after about one hour along length of whole bed but definitely much tighter in the 10-12" of operation closest to headstock. Bed has a little wear but I don't think that could cause such a sudden change.

thanks for the replies.
Tony

JRouche
10-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Check to make sure the "clutch" for the feed engage lever or knob (in my case) is disengageing. If it sticks you will get drag. JRouche

JRouche
10-29-2005, 11:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/South%20Bend%20Lathe/sticky_clutch.jpg

SGW
10-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Check that the keyway along the leadscrew doesn't have crud built up in it. Just a small errant chip could bind up the key sliding along that keyway.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 10-29-2005).]

fishfrnzy
10-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all for your help. Took off saddle and picked out chips, cleaned lead screw and keyway and did general clean up, no obvious problems but back together now and seems to be ok. now tailsock area a little tight but still need to adjust saddle gib. To JRouche, thanks for the diagram. Are those the procedure forms from south bend. I will need to tackle other dissasemblies in the future.

thanks

Tony

fishfrnzy
10-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all for your help. Took off saddle and picked out chips, cleaned lead screw and keyway and did general clean up, no obvious problems but back together now and seems to be ok. now tailsock area a little tight but still need to adjust saddle gib. To JRouche, thanks for the diagram. Are those the procedure forms from south bend. I will need to tackle other dissasemblies in the future.

thanks

Tony