PDA

View Full Version : Plazma cutting consumables

Bob Quale
10-29-2002, 12:43 AM
I want to make my own plazma cutter consumables. Any idea what there made of? Mabe brass, maybe copper?

Thanks Bob

Forrest Addy
10-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Where to start.

Some of those plasma torch consumables have subtle features and if they're not quite right, your torch won't work properly. I think home brew torch tips while doable is a false economy.

Yor question leads me to believe you may be having unusual problems. Most plasma problems are caused by wet or dirty air. No doubt you already have a coelescing water trap and a filter/regulator.

I suggest you attack your air supply adding a dryer. You can make your own dryer cartridges using silica gel in pipe nipple cartriges. If you make three or four cartridges you can have most in the oven and the remaning one is in service.

As for where to start, section a set of consumable tips so you can directly inspect the internal features. I notice mine seem to be made of copper with a stainless insert.

I think there's a piece of tungsten buried in the nozzle somewhere.

Thrud
10-30-2002, 04:00 AM
I think Forrest got in one hit. Compressed air is the worst thing to use in a plasma torch. The oxygen in the compressed air causes adverse reactions with the tips and the metal being cut (rapid oxidization of both). This is why Inert (argon and helium is best) gas is used.

Nitrogen is a better source of gas for the torch. It is cheap and dry, but does requires good regulator and flowmeter for rock solid operation (this is true for MIG and TIG as well). Read the Intructions (no one seems to) and your consumable use should be minimal. If your torch has adjustable voltage and/or current moderation of these settings extend their life.

GJLawlor
11-04-2002, 10:02 AM
Plasma Torch Consumables!!! When I was in the business of servicing these marvelous devices, torch consumables was a big item. The most common error by users was to think that if 10 PSI was good then 20 PSI would be better. The torch tips are degigned to run at a specific pressure using clean dry compressed air and the components specifically made for that device. Find a way to calibrate your gas flow control device, flow meter preferred over regulator. Use a known good device to compare to.

DO NOT SET THE GAS FLOW RATE ABOVE THE RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR YOUR DEVICE. IF YOUR TORCH HAS A STAND OFF DEVICE TO CONRTROL THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE WORK AND THE TORCH, USE IT. With practice torch consumables will last for considerable periods of work.