PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spam Wars: A New Hope

Tuckerfan
11-06-2005, 04:37 PM
[Movie Voice Over Guy] In a world over run by spam, a small group of rag tag rebels has banded together to fight back. Blue Security (http://www.bluesecurity.com/solutions/overview.asp) doesn't simply block spam, but tracks the spammers down and "explains" things to them. [/MVOG]

I haven't tried this yet, but in reading the details on their site of how it works, I really like the idea behind it.

BillH
11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
For some reason, I dont think the oriental spammers that are filling my mailbox with poorly translated english are going to give a flying crap about some stupid registry.

Tuckerfan
11-06-2005, 05:46 PM
It relies on being able to correctly identify the sender; not all spam is about immediate advertising; a lot of it is just about getting you to click the 'unsubscribe' link (or just read the message and in so doing, send an identifiable request to the spammer's server), to confirm that you exist - after this, the list is sold on.

This system looks like it could be exploited to launch denial of service attacks by generating a deluge of complaints toward a company that never actually sent the spam.