making a hit&miss gas tank (warning, lots of photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mcgyver
    • Mar 2005

making a hit&miss gas tank (warning, lots of photos)

Needed to make a brass gas tank for my hit & miss engine and thought you guys might like some pictures. Experts might find the photo’s superfluous, but I tried to take enough that it’s a bit of a how-to post for someone newer

Lazy mans way of laying out the sheet – propped up against an angle plate, the height gauge makes quick work of the layout. Brass is .028 thou.

A lot of the corner material can be cut with good shears, but as the corners will have tabs, you need to get into them with a fret saw. Here’s the simple set up for this job

Cutting out the corner with a fret saw

The sheet is now ready for folding. Corners all cleaned out and any required touchups done with a file

Here the sheet metal is held in a home made set of folding bars – just crs, some dowel pins and cap screws.
    In the midst of the first fold – I held the bars vertically as the wasn’t enough throat distance in the vice to hold horizontally – a more convenient position. Note that the tabs are not folded over at this setting of the bars

This is the right tool for folding the metal over so as to not mare the surface; a leather mallet

located in Toronto Ontario
  • Mcgyver
    • Mar 2005

Here is a tab that has just been folded. Note how the bars have been moved so that there is about a 1/32 gap between the bar and the side – this will allow the tab to fold up inside the of the side

Here the work piece is ready to have the ends folded.
    Hunt through the scrap box for a chunk of metal to fold against and that will fit in side of the box. Here the end is being folded. Note how the tabs tuck neatly inside of the box.

The narrow lip on the bottom piece is folding using the folding bars

Here’s the competed sheet metal work, ready for soldering

Simple solder set up, weight & refractory bricks. Wet paper towel was used as a heat sink around completed joints.

Here a some shots of the competed tank. I had wanted to include shots of bending the pipes and shots of them set up for soldering, but I managed to destroy my camera (arrrg). Bought a new one for these final shots. The pipes were soldering using my 3rd hand design http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/012958.html

Hope its of some value to you

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 11-06-2005).]

Comment

• tattoomike68

very nice , a work of art.

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
        • Oct 2004

WONDERFUL Mcgyver.
        GREAT POST
        This is what I like ....a complete beginning to end explanation on how to do a very good job.
        Learnt quite a bit from your post , keep 'em coming ....in the same style.
        well done !
        all the best...mark

Comment

• charlie coghill
          • Mar 2001

Mc I have not done a lot of sheet metal work so yes this has been some help. Thanks.
          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

• lugnut
            • Sep 2004

Great looking tank! I really liked the "1/32 gap between the bar and the side" I'll try to file that little trick in my ever shrinking memory file. Have you posted any photos of your "hit and miss" project? Thanks for sharing your work and photos with us.
            Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

• Your Old Dog
              • Dec 2004

Yea what lugnut said! I always screw it up on the tab. I'll try to think a little more precise and see if comes out like yours My guess is it won't. If neatness counts for anything you go to the head of the class.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• Luke55
                • Oct 2004

Real nice.Want to see the engine now.

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Here is a tab that has just been folded. Note how the bars have been moved so that there is about a 1/32 gap between the bar and the side – this will allow the tab to fold up inside the of the side</font>
                  Thanks for the tip! I've made a few boxes like that but I've always bent both tabs and side at the same time.

-Adrian

Comment

• jkilroy
                    • Oct 2001

Of course Neil is probably wondering why you didn't submit that as an article, seeing that you did all the work? Very nice either way, thanks for the pics.
                    James Kilroy

Comment

• CCWKen
                      • Jan 2003

Wow! Looks GREAT Mcgyver!

Looks like you're ready to do some Model T fenders.

Comment

• JRouche
                        • Aug 2004

Great work. I was a sheet metal mechanic for a few years and that is a real nice tank. JRouche

Comment

• Furnace
                          • Jun 2005

Very boss...

Comment

• japcas
                            • Nov 2004

Great post. This is the kind of info I come to this forum for. Very useful info. Would love to see the hit n miss engiine now.
                            Jonathan P.

Comment

• Mcgyver
                              • Mar 2005

thanks guys, I'll post some pics of the hit miss, one of those long term projects progressing in fits and starts

Comment

Working...
                              X